Why become a member? ×

Steve Harris - wow!

Funky Dunky

I always knew - even back in my yout' - that 'arry was a highly-lauded bass player, but it's only really been in the last week or so that I decided to take a closer look at his work and learn some Iron Maiden songs.

Bloody 'ell!! This is a workout!

I started with Be Quick or Be Dead and Run To The Hills - the galloping triplet feel is a bugger to get right - easy to do sloppily, but getting it tight took some work. I can run the triplet gallop all day long on a held note, but when it starts shifting about in the gallop feel it requires some real effort to keep it even. However, some of his left-hand stuff is just as tricky - I've moved on to Phantom of the Opera, and good grief am I having to work hard!

I love this guy's lines, very busy and exciting, so much fun to play. Any Maiden fans on BC able to share some tips for playing in the style of Steve Harris?

Edited by Funky Dunky

Phantom of the opera is still one of my favourites and where they are at their most creative in many ways. I prefer Diannos voice so mostly listen to the first two albums but still love seventh son, they just got the feel spot on after a couple of albums that missed it for me. I can't help on technique but have looked at some myself and find my fingers and brain get tied up very quickly!

Keep at it.
Phantom is the one I've never gotten right.

There's one bit about half way through which I simply can not do.
I know the notes.
I know the order.
I know the speed.

Can't get all 3 together though :lol:

Comes in at 3:37 on this version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-K36JrFRdc

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1482312590' post='3199363']
I always knew - even back in my yout' - that 'arry was a highly-lauded bass player, but it's only really been in the last week or so that I decided to take a closer look at his work and learn some Iron Maiden songs.

Bloody 'ell!! This is a workout!

I started with Be Quick or Be Dead and Run To The Hills - the galloping triplet feel is a bugger to get right - easy to do sloppily, but getting it tight took some work. I can run the triplet gallop all day long on a held note, but when it starts shifting about in the gallop feel it requires some real effort to keep it even. However, some of his left-hand stuff is just as tricky - I've moved on to Phantom of the Opera, and good grief am I having to work hard!

I love this guy's lines, very busy and exciting, so much fun to play. Any Maiden fans on BC able to share some tips for playing in the style of Steve Harris?
[/quote]

A friend of mine has got that galloping style off to a tee...i'm sure he uses a 3 finger style to achieve it...good luck

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1482314808' post='3199406']
Keep at it.

I know the notes.
I know the order.
I know the speed.

Comes in at 3:37 on this version [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-K36JrFRdc"]https://www.youtube....h?v=n-K36JrFRdc[/url]
[/quote]

That's the bit that always gets me as well! :lol:

I learned to play, playing along to Maiden.
He is such an innovator and IMHO one of the best bass players in the world.
Scott Ian from Anthrax said in an interview. "Heavy Metal is Steve Harris' right hand!"

I managed to catch British Lion (SH's 'other' band) in Birmingham last year and was at the barrier, I just watched his technique all night. Mindbogglingly fast with two fingers I simply couldn't keep up!
I use three fingers for my own take on the style and it works well for the music we play, and I throw in a gallop when I can. :D

Somewhere In Time is a good album to jam to, there is a lot of bass synth on that too. But, the Powerslave album is the one to master for me.
Listen closely to the title track, in the chorus there's a triplet but, it's a pull up over three strings, it sounds amazing.

I can't get that Phantom of the Opera part either!

Check out hyottoko1 on YouTube - this Japanese guy is a master of the 'Arry style.

Edited by grunge666

[quote name='grunge666' timestamp='1482339946' post='3199737']
Scott Ian from Anthrax said in an interview. "Heavy Metal is Steve Harris' right hand!"

I managed to catch British Lion (SH's 'other' band) in Birmingham last year and was at the barrier, I just watched his technique all night. Mindbogglingly fast with two fingers I simply couldn't keep up!
I use three fingers for my own take on the style and it works well for the music we play, and I throw in a gallop when I can. :D

Somewhere In Time is a good album to jam to, there is a lot of bass synth on that too. But, the Powerslave album is the one to master for me.
Listen closely to the title track, in the chorus there's a triplet but, it's a pull up over three strings, it sounds amazing.

Check out hyottoko1 on YouTube - this Japanese guy is a master of the 'Arry style.
[/quote]

I have! Watched a few vids at the weekend and was most impressed - it was watching him that helped me to learn Be Quick or Be Dead! He's goooood, and his mask is good too!

The song Genghis Khan has always been a struggle for me. I too learned how to play mostly through Steve Harris. I remember watching Live after Death and being captivated. The spandex always confused me though!

I found the best way to get anywhere near keeping up with the pace of some lines was to have a light touch.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1482342807' post='3199768']
I seem to remember being told that 'arry has a ridiculously light touch and just tickles them.
[/quote]

It looks like almost a scratch/tickle type of attack! I did read that his rig is effing CRANKED and someone once made the mistake of soundchecking at Steve's regular amp settings, but used a normal attack and almost blew himself off the stage!

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1482353760' post='3199872']
It looks like almost a scratch/tickle type of attack! I did read that his rig is effing CRANKED and someone once made the mistake of soundchecking at Steve's regular amp settings, but used a normal attack and almost blew himself off the stage!
[/quote]

Hahaha!

He also uses a compressor too

Yep - He has a very light touch, which combined with heavy (55-110) Flatwounds, set with very low action is how he gets his signature 'clank'. It's why most guys trying to emulate him can't do it (or certainly can't do it for very long), they end up digging harder and tiring quickly, and they need to do the opposite. Of course it also depends on the individual setup etc, if your action's too high and you start tickling the strings, you ain't gonna clip the frets for the all-important clank! Also helps that he is able to put brand new flatwounds on for every gig...

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1482414172' post='3200322']
Yep - He has a very light touch, which combined with heavy (55-110) Flatwounds, set with very low action is how he gets his signature 'clank'. It's why most guys trying to emulate him can't do it (or certainly can't do it for very long), they end up digging harder and tiring quickly, and they need to do the opposite. Of course it also depends on the individual setup etc, if your action's too high and you start tickling the strings, you ain't gonna clip the frets for the all-important clank! Also helps that he is able to put brand new flatwounds on for every gig...
[/quote]

That's good info, cheers. It's wee tidbits of knowledge like this that make BC a goldmine. :)

Steve Harris was my hero and main influence when I first started playing, around '88 when Seventh Son came out. I spent hours listening to the back catalogue trying to learn the parts, Live After Death being a particularly rich source of challenges.

Over the years I've seen Maiden many times (with various line up changes) and although I'm not such a big fan nowadays, SH is still a hero and somewhat overlooked when people discuss top players. Anybody whose ever tried playing his lines fully through a 5-6 minute song will testify.

I was fortunate enough to meet the man himself backstage at Download 3 years ago when they were repeating the 'Maiden England' set that I'd first seen at the NEC in '88. Myself and an old mate stood waiting like nervous school kids unable to string two words together. Happy days!

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1482314808' post='3199406']
Keep at it.

I know the notes.
I know the order.
I know the speed.

Comes in at 3:37 on this version [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-K36JrFRdc"]https://www.youtube....h?v=n-K36JrFRdc[/url]
[/quote]

Although I don't much care for NWOBHM (think that's the right term), he does have a great recorded sound on that track.

[quote name='grunge666' timestamp='1482339946' post='3199737']

[/quote]
Is that the guy with the mask? He's got the sound perfect.

My band has decided to do a covers set in order to play some different venues and to different people than we do with our originals. Including a few early Maiden tunes, and I thought I'd try playing with fingers instead of a pick in order to make it a bit more authentic. I can hardly get through half a song without my forearm pretty much giving up. Can't imagine how much practise you'd have to do in order to get the stamina to play a full set like that.