Why become a member? ×

Has anyone gone from lightweight back to heavy?

AndyTravis

I've fairly recently gone from a Ampeg SVT VR to a Aguilar TH500 and then to a Fender Super Bassman. I found the Tone Hammer to be lacking in weight and girth where as the Bassman "feels" better. It has greater depth and more weight behind what I'm playing.

Cab wise I just switched from a Ampeg 610 to a Fender 610. I could literally toss the fender 610 through the doors of a venue.

[quote name='DanEly' timestamp='1482417483' post='3200390']
I've fairly recently gone from a Ampeg SVT VR to a Aguilar TH500 and then to a Fender Super Bassman. I found the Tone Hammer to be lacking in weight and girth where as the Bassman "feels" better. It has greater depth and more weight behind what I'm playing.

Cab wise I just switched from a Ampeg 610 to a Fender 610. I could literally toss the fender 610 through the doors of a venue.
[/quote]is the Fender 610 really 41Kg? bit to heavy for me to throw around

I've used Class D for about 5 years and been very happy with it. A couple of weeks ago I had a gig where, the last time I played there, people were putting pints on top of my amp from alongside the stage area while I was playing. To combat this I decided to resurrect my old rackmounted Ampeg (a split pint would likely go onto the floor rather than into the amp) which hasn't been used in anger in many a year.
It sounded great - really full.
My wife, who knows nothing of amps, commented afterwards that she could hear me better than usual.
At my next gig I stuck with it and was really impressed with the growl when I dug in. I can see it being my first choice for the near future but may alternate depending on the gig.

[quote name='el borracho' timestamp='1482435394' post='3200632']
I've used Class D for about 5 years and been very happy with it. A couple of weeks ago I had a gig where, the last time I played there, people were putting pints on top of my amp from alongside the stage area while I was playing. To combat this I decided to resurrect my old rackmounted Ampeg (a split pint would likely go onto the floor rather than into the amp) which hasn't been used in anger in many a year.
It sounded great - really full.
My wife, who knows nothing of amps, commented afterwards that she could hear me better than usual.
At my next gig I stuck with it and was really impressed with the growl when I dug in. I can see it being my first choice for the near future but may alternate depending on the gig.
[/quote]

It's a Coke / Diet Coke thing.

One day you accidentally buy full fat Coke, and MY GOD it's nice.

I went from an original markbass little mark back in 2006/2007 straight to a full Matamp rig. Mark 1 GT200 + 610 which weighs as much as a house.

Valves all the way for me. Just gives you that thick deep tone you can't get with class d.

I don't think I'll ever consider a different amplifier.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1482487492' post='3200927']
I guess the people previously moving from heavy gear to lightweight gear weren't listening very closely to what they were buying if moving back the other way sounds so much better.
[/quote]

The honeymoon period still applies.. then you realise it's not hitting the spot, so you buy something else, the honeymoon period applies, etc.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1482487492' post='3200927']
I guess the people previously moving from heavy gear to lightweight gear weren't listening very closely to what they were buying if moving back the other way sounds so much better.
[/quote]auditioning gear in a shop is totally different from playing a gig with a band, plus as wateroftyne said about the honeymoon period, when you've spent good money on gear it takes a while to convince yourself you've made a mistake

I still firmly believe that my first lightweight head and cab (MB Little Mark II / 104HR) was/is better than any of the heavy gear that I'd owned before it, and it's still the benchmark by which other gear gets measured when I'm trying and buying. That honeymoon period must be well and truly over by now - in fact, looking at the stickers, it'll be the 10 year anniversary in April!

I have a 200W all-valve head and I'm not going to tell you it's not a fun thing to play, but it's sure-as-hell not a fun thing to carry and I'm confident that it sounds no better in the context of my band than my usual lightweight rig, so I'm going to keep my back happy and keep travelling light.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1482436153' post='3200637']

[/quote]

But some people have a weight problem and need to resign themselves to the fact that Diet Coke helps them to manage it. Some people even prefer Diet Coke 'just for the taste of it', as the adverts used to say! If it makes any odds, I'm in both categories :D

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1482491963' post='3200984']
But some people have a weight problem and need to resign themselves to the fact that Diet Coke helps them to manage it.
[/quote]

That's why I gravitated back to the Walkabout, and latterly the Handbox R-400. Manageable, with full fat taste :-)

The issue of weight applies on both sides...

Many people are obsessed with the weight of gear (basses in particular).

If we all obsessed over our own weight, and did some regular excersize, maybe the weight of gear wouldn't be such as issue.

I'm now in the "over 35" age bracket, and to be honest, was starting to let myself get a little "cuddly" for want of a better word. I have also spent years playing sport/weight lifting and have more injuries than I care to remember (particularly at this time of year). Last January my wife and I decided to make changes and joined slimming world, started running, bought a road bike and got out there.
So, the obvious thing was the waist size of my jeans when down by about 3", and naturally felt better, but the one thing I wasn't expecting... nearly all those "niggles" went away. Playing/carrying gear is really no issue (I use a stingray 5)... fact is, we could probably all do with moving a little more. It's. I wonder we complain about "heavy basses" when we stand up and play for 4 hours over a night, particularly if like me, you sit at a desk for a large portion of your work day.
Obviously, if you have an injury, that needs to be respected, and there is a lot to be said for correct lifting technique, so look after yourselves. But get moving, and equally get stretching!!!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1482492413' post='3200988']

That's why I gravitated back to the Walkabout, and latterly the Handbox R-400. Manageable, with full fat taste :-)
[/quote]

Aye, don't get me wrong, I know just what you mean - my equivalent is the Ashdown ABM1000 (probably similar to your HB in size) and if getting the valve head did anything (other than my back!) it was to highlight some of the reasons I like the class D Ashdown so much; it shares a lot of the 'feel' of playing a big lump of steel and glass. That said, it still misses out on a lot of action because it won't fit in the back of my laptop bag and join me on the train to work and then onwards again to sound check in the evening. I'd love to say that if I could only have one amp it'd be the Ashdown because it sounds and feels great to play and is light-ish and very powerful, but I know it's still inconvenient for a lot of what I do, so I'd take the best of the featherweights every time.

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1482492933' post='3200992']
The issue of weight applies on both sides...

Many people are obsessed with the weight of gear (basses in particular).

If we all obsessed over our own weight, and did some regular excersize, maybe the weight of gear wouldn't be such as issue.

I'm now in the "over 35" age bracket, and to be honest, was starting to let myself get a little "cuddly" for want of a better word. I have also spent years playing sport/weight lifting and have more injuries than I care to remember (particularly at this time of year). Last January my wife and I decided to make changes and joined slimming world, started running, bought a road bike and got out there.
So, the obvious thing was the waist size of my jeans when down by about 3", and naturally felt better, but the one thing I wasn't expecting... nearly all those "niggles" went away. Playing/carrying gear is really no issue (I use a stingray 5)... fact is, we could probably all do with moving a little more. It's. I wonder we complain about "heavy basses" when we stand up and play for 4 hours over a night, particularly if like me, you sit at a desk for a large portion of your work day.
Obviously, if you have an injury, that needs to be respected, and there is a lot to be said for correct lifting technique, so look after yourselves. But get moving, and equally get stretching!!!
[/quote]

if your niggles have gone away then you are a lucky fella!

I was 59 this year and decided that I wanted to be 60 and fit, not 60 and fat. Back in the spring I changed my diet, changed my gym regime (under pretty careful instruction) and have since lost 4" off my waist whilst pretty much maintaining my weight. Subcutaneous fat and visceral fat levels have gone way down, muscle mass increased etc etc. I am much stronger and fitter - probably as strong and fit as I have been for a long while. But my back problem is still there. I still know about it if I use a bass over 9lbs, still have the weakness.

I suppose what I am saying is that everyone is different - hitting the gym I am sure helps but it isn't always a cure-all.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1482497888' post='3201068']

if your niggles have gone away then you are a lucky fella!

I was 59 this year and decided that I wanted to be 60 and fit, not 60 and fat. Back in the spring I changed my diet, changed my gym regime (under pretty careful instruction) and have since lost 4" off my waist whilst pretty much maintaining my weight. Subcutaneous fat and visceral fat levels have gone way down, muscle mass increased etc etc. I am much stronger and fitter - probably as strong and fit as I have been for a long while. But my back problem is still there. I still know about it if I use a bass over 9lbs, still have the weakness.

I suppose what I am saying is that everyone is different - hitting the gym I am sure helps but it isn't always a cure-all.
[/quote]

Congratulations Paul!!! That's a real achievement. The back is a tricky beast to manage. I spent years in the gym powerlifting/bodybuilding as it is a prerequisite for the sport I played (American football). It wasn't until I started running and lots of stretching that I found my back injuries went away. I have had loads of Physio/chiro/osteo and nothing has been able to make it go long term. It was weird, I didn't even notice it had gone until I realised it had been months since it had bothered me lol.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1482497669' post='3201064']
If you feel tempted to move the ABM1000 on Ed, I`d be happy to look at taking it off your hands.
[/quote]

Heh, no temptation in that direction right now, but I'll give you a shout if I ever start edging it closer to the door! No breath-holding, mind...

Edited by Ed_S

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1482436153' post='3200637']

[/quote]

then you discover Coke Zero and never go full-fat again...

;)

we need a Coke Zero amplifier...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1482501629' post='3201113']
Yeeeuch!
[/quote]

Oh, I dunno - if you want the sound of The King Of The Big Old Valvey Heads (tm), then it does just that...the one with the mids control is better all-round, though.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1482502156' post='3201117']
Oh, I dunno - if you want the sound of The King Of The Big Old Valvey Heads ™, then it does just that...the one with the mids control is better all-round, though.
[/quote]

The one with the mids control is still a tone-sucker. That's a whole other thread, though :-D

I don't disagree...I've had them both, and moved them both on. Lots of folk want that exact sound, though.

Incidentally, I thought the Tech21 head was pretty barky and weedy...and that's a lead-sled Proper Transformer one... ;)

Maybe another thread for 'Big Transformer Heads That Don't Have Much Heft'... I can think of a few I've owned... :)

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1482503117' post='3201122']
Incidentally, I thought the Tech21 head was pretty barky and weedy...and that's a lead-sled Proper Transformer one... ;)
[/quote]

I'm not surpised. The SABDDI isn't great (IMO), and it won't sound any better with a power amp nailed to it.