Why become a member? ×

Team Rock going under... so that's Metal Hammer, Prog and Classic Rock

visog

Sad to see this in the news...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-38370464

I suppose it's partly my fault as I was only an occasional buyer of 'Prog' magazine but I worry a little that this is yet another nail in the coffin for what is increasingly becoming the music of the last century.

I did begin to wonder how they were doing a while back, it seemed a lot of the places I used to see CR and Prog had stopped stocking them. I'd urge anyone that's looking for an alternative to give the Classic Rock Society a go. The magazine only comes out every other month so it's a bit lighter on the pocket.

Edited by KevB

The frontman of Orange Goblin has set up a justgiving page to raise money for the 73 team rock staff who have been made redundant with immediate effect and with no pay six days before Xmas. Already raised over £10k.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/ukrockcommunity

Edit: Just checked in and it's now blown past its original £20k target and over £30k has been donated!

Edited by mike257

Pretty rubbish news but I always wondered if there was really any need for separate rock/prog and metal magazines by the same company. I always found there was so much crossover of stuff that separate magazines were not really necessary when a single prog/rock/metal magazine would have done well enough.

Since there has been long term financial problems, I'm wondering why they didn't try to restructure things already.

Hopefully administrators find someone willing to bail them out and restructure everything. Really crap time of year for it to happen as well.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1482262034' post='3199076']
I suppose it's partly my fault as I was only an occasional buyer of 'Prog' magazine
[/quote]

Likewise. Plus I stopped buying it altogether after they got in touch with my band & offered us a slot on the cover CD. Only after we excitedly clamoured "yes please!" did they mention the £1000 it would cost.

Unsurprisingly, we declined and I don't feel guilty about that - but it's a damn shame this has happened.

'Classic rock' does look like it's now going the way of jazz here in Blighty. I'm not a fan myself but I've noticed that six shops that used to stock Classic Rock and Metal Hammer pulled them off their shelves early this year even though two them still have Bass magazine. Seems the under 40s are generally not interested.

I did wonder what the rationale was for putting on a hugely expensive (I assume) awards ceremony in Japan and flying lots of (presumably expensive) rock stars out there just for a couple of pages in one of the magazines. Perhaps a last-ditch attempt to break into a new market and/or find a new backer than does not appear to have worked.

Worrying time of the year for it to happen for the staff, though. I've been made redundant several times, but luckily no closer than October.

I bought CR from Issue 1.

I eventually stopped buying it 3 or 4 months ago. I was fed up paying a fiver to read lists of things that I already knew about. It got to the stage where the "100 greatest rock guitar solos" or whatever would take up half the magazine. It became nothing but a vehicle for advertising, and I wasn't going to cough for that anymore.

All things must pass, everything has its time. Kerrang used to be a must-read up til sometime in the 90s, and then CR came along and was bloody good for a while. The onset of all the Prog, Blues, etc versions is what killed it. Without material to fill a mag, LISTS appeared.

I'd imagine, if they find a buyer with any sense, that the titles will be amalgamated and one good monthly read will come out the other end.

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1482322188' post='3199517']

My Mrs would kill me if I tried moving the PC into the downstairs loo.
[/quote]
Lol my copy of practical classics goes straight from the front door to the loo and doesn't come out until it's finished. I only read it on the loo or in the bath.