Why become a member? ×

NAD: Orange 4 Stroke 500

BluRay

It has arrived and it is a thing of beauty! I have to wait another week till next band practice to actually hook it up to my cab though...

i have ordered a custom rack sleeve for it. That’ll take about six weeks, but I think the total result will be awesome.

Edited by we tigers

Yesterday was the first time I had the chance to let the 4 Stroke run loose. To cut a long story short: it’s awesome. Lots of lovely mids, controlled lows, way better in the band mix than my former Streamliner 900, and with a lot of heft to the tone. Especially paired with my SolidGoldFX Beta, the tone was to die for.

• Like 2

The 4 Stroke has some sort of three dimensionality to the sound that reminds me of a full tube amp. With the so-called compressor the amp is even able to show a little hair. Love the prominent mids and the possibilities of the eq section. It's a keeper and I ordered a custom case with the right orange tolex for it!

7 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

looks like a nice head.

Interesting to see the marketing blurb say "Trusting our ears and moving away from Class D technology altogether, the 4 Stroke is 100% analogue throughout."

:ph34r:

Dunno if its a class A vs D thing but FWIW.....I spent a band rehearsal switching between a GK Fusion 800 and the Orange 4 Stroke 500  - I have two identical 210 cabs, so it was a straight test side by side. With a fair bit of EQ faffing, I could get the Fusion (either with or without the tube pre engaged) to sound almost identical to the Orange. But cranked up to full-on band levels (with the same EQ settings intact, vol to match the drums) the Orange walks it. Its really ballsy and assertive. 

That said, I won't have any qualms about using the Fusion when there's lots of stairs involved, it sounded good too. To be fair :-) 

Edited by BluRay
Typo

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jecklin
12 hours ago, we tigers said:

I like the amp a lot, so I decided to have TubeTown in Germany build me a head case for it. 
Sure looks the part!:

vVdZ7tq.jpg

BA4ndy4.jpg

That looks excellent!