Why become a member? ×

NAD: Orange 4 Stroke 500

BluRay

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1490872985' post='3268643']
I think the crit with Orange bass gear is that it does one thing, but to many it does that very well. Maybe this 4stroke does something else that is appealing to others?
[/quote]

I'd say that the Four Stroke also has a certain niche appeal - does a great JJ-sounding growl - except the EQ is much stronger than the Terror Bass, so should make "that tone" a little more usable to some maybe. Its an interesting approach adding the grunt from the compressor not the gain.

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1490891251' post='3268889']
I'd say that the Four Stroke also has a certain niche appeal - does a great JJ-sounding growl - except the EQ is much stronger than the Terror Bass, so should make "that tone" a little more usable to some maybe. Its an interesting approach adding the grunt from the compressor not the gain.
[/quote]

This amp is really starting to interest me.

Richard Turner of Blackberry Smoke had two of these in a rack sitting on top of an Orange 8x10 at last nights Newcastle gig. Sounded good where I was standing!

I had the little Terror Bass 500 which was a loud but short on tonal diversity. Based on last nights show, I now have gas for the Four Stroke 500.

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1491376649' post='3272445']
Richard Turner of Blackberry Smoke had two of these in a rack sitting on top of an Orange 8x10 at last nights Newcastle gig. Sounded good where I was standing!

I had the little Terror Bass 500 which was a loud but short on tonal diversity. Based on last nights show, I now have gas for the Four Stroke 500.
[/quote]

Having briefly used a Terror Bass (which got me interested in Orange things), I'd say the Four Stroke addresses the Terror's EQ shortfall in spades. It has a similar underlying character maybe, but way more flexible. I haven't compared directly - just from memory. I like that it doesn't look like a toaster, but not that I had to buy a case for it. :).

I was lucky enough to visit the Orange factory last year and try some amps. I've been using and touring their 8x10 for about 5 year now. I went in with the preconception that the 4 Stroke would be my least favourite of the three amps they now do. I left with serious GAS for one! The OB-1 just sounded too fizzy for my liking. And as much as I love the AD200b when I have used one with a supplied back line, I really struggle with its limited tone shaping.

An Orange employee showed me the way the Compression knob worked and I was sold. A really nice bit of kit. The only thing that has since stopped me getting one is the struggle to part ways with my EBS Fafner 2.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1490868200' post='3268590']
I was always impressed with Orange guitar amps especially the Orange terror range. I like the look of it too. Unfortunately, the bass range never appealed to me.
After reading this thread and having received comments to my posts I did a bit of You Tube research and I sort of want the stroke 4 300w range.It seems to sound great and looks great.
I can see it being paired up with barefaced 410 cab with cloth cover.So I take back the early conclusion I have made.
[/quote]

COME TO THE ORANGE SIDE :ph34r: :lol: :laugh1:
Dave

• 6 months later...

A fleeting resurrection of this thread to (tentatively!) post some studio recordings, for anyone who might be interested (Yamaha 2024 bass via mic-ed up Orange 4 Stroke). Don't judge my haphazard playing lol - its only so you can hear the amp in a recorded / band setting, as I don't think there are many examples around. :)
[url="https://bonesparkrider.bandcamp.com/album/there-but-for-the-grace-of-god"]https://bonesparkrider.bandcamp.com/album/there-but-for-the-grace-of-god [/url]

[attachment=255502:IMG_3811.jpg]

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1507901704' post='3388695']
A fleeting resurrection of this thread to (tentatively!) post some studio recordings, for anyone who might be interested (Yamaha 2024 bass via mic-ed up Orange 4 Stroke). Don't judge my haphazard playing lol - its only so you can hear the amp in a recorded / band setting, as I don't think there are many examples around. :)
[url="https://bonesparkrider.bandcamp.com/album/there-but-for-the-grace-of-god"]https://bonesparkrider.bandcamp.com/album/there-but-for-the-grace-of-god [/url]

[/quote]

I liked that, (the tone and playing/song, cheers).

I've been torn between one of these and the GK Fusion 550.

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1508146146' post='3389995']
I liked that, (the tone and playing/song, cheers).

I've been torn between one of these and the GK Fusion 550.
[/quote]

thanks!

Coincidentally I've just landed a GK Fusion 800 as a BC swap, so have both - but I've only used the GK in rehearsal once, and haven't quite got to grips with it enough to make a fair comparison. First impression: I think the Orange wins in terms of overall authority and brute force, but the Fusion is likeable also! I'll try to AB sometime over the next few weeks.

Edited by BluRay

• 2 months later...

I'm starting to like this Orange! 

I used to have an Ashdown ABM, then went full tube with an old Fender PA135. Nowadays I play a Genz Benz Streamliner 900. I really like the Streamliner, but somehow I'm on the look out for something else. 

Right now the short list is 

- Orange 4 Stroke 500

- Ashdown Head of Doom

- A second or third hand Aguilar DB750

Advice is welcome. I have not decided yet.

(playing a Ric through an Aguilar DB410 8 ohm)

Edited by we tigers

On 13/10/2017 at 14:35, BluRay said:

https://bonesparkrider.bandcamp.com/album/there-but-for-the-grace-of-god

Needn’t have been tentative; 9/10 album review in Vive La Rock. All down to the Orange no doubt lol

9 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Possibly, possibly not, my Ashdown ABM600 ably helped us in getting a 9 this year :D

Ah, can’t have been the amp then. Maybe the plectrum? :) 

Normally I’d have have used an ABM, but mine was out for repair. In the studio I honestly couldn’t choose between the 4 stroke and a Ashdown CTM - they both had a very similar sound despite being utterly different amps. I went with the Orange because it was new!

First practice last night. Set the eq up as Orange suggests on it's website for Rock/Punk, turned the compressor up to 12 o'clock, plugged all my pedals in and turned it up to what would roughly 2. 

This is by far the loudest amp I have ever owned, it's mental.  I should of bought the 300 watt (never going happen lol). I didn't get chance to fiddle with the eq and didn't need to tweak any of the controls on my bass... now that is a real first.

Bite, punch, clarity... It just works, to the point where I wasn't thinking about my sound. Last amp that did that was my Trace Elliot 1225v back in the early nineties. 

If you get the chance try one. I'm very impressed. 

• Like 2