Why become a member? ×

What have you learned in 2016?

radiophonic

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1482243821' post='3198766']
Ouch. That sounds painful... :(
[/quote]

Yeah, it wasn't the best experience... I don't mind being kicked out of a band (although it's never happened before in 35 odd years of playing), but I do object to being told by the band leader (via facebook) that he is packing the band up because of other projects, only to find him and the guitarist are carrying on the same project with another bass player. It wasn't just me though, they got rid of the singer/pianist at the same time in the same underhand way (even though she was bringing most of the songs) - she is only in her early 20s and she took it really badly.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1482244922' post='3198790']
Why would they have? They're just people and, by and large, people are dicks.
[/quote]

You are right, there is absolutely no reason why musicians should have any more integrity than anyone else. I guess I just somehow expect a bit more...

There are of course 3 kinds of people in the world...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCfU44cnbCc[/media]

I have learnt a few things. The three main things being:

Being in 3 bands was too many for me, so I left one. I should have done it years ago, really.

I learnt that not only can I get on with (some) 5 string basses, I actually prefer them. Didn't see that one coming.

The most important thing I learnt was that being willing to compromise more has not resulted in my willy getting smaller, as I had always previously believed. As a result I am happier in the band.

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1482245361' post='3198801']
Yeah, it wasn't the best experience... I don't mind being kicked out of a band (although it's never happened before in 35 odd years of playing), but I do object to being told by the band leader (via facebook) that he is packing the band up because of other projects, only to find him and the guitarist are carrying on the same project with another bass player. It wasn't just me though, they got rid of the singer/pianist at the same time in the same underhand way (even though she was bringing most of the songs) - she is only in her early 20s and she took it really badly.
[/quote]

I was asked to leave the band I was in during the early 90's. The keyboard player phoned me up the afternoon of a gig we had booked & told me he'd had enough of my attitude (not kissing his arse like everyone else in the band did) & that he wanted me out. OK, no problem I said, I'll do the gig tonight & that'll be it. An hour or so later I get another phone call from him to say that the gig was off because the drummer (who lived in West Sussex) couldn't get there because of snow. OK says I, I'll pick my gear up from your place at the weekend.

A few days later I've got the promoter of the gig (who was a total psycho) threatening me with a hammer. The gig hadn't been cancelled at all - they did it without me & told the promoter I just hadn't bothered showing up. That was when I decided not to bother with bands anymore.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1482246018' post='3198818']
I was asked to leave the band I was in during the early 90's. The keyboard player phoned me up the afternoon of a gig we had booked & told me he'd had enough of my attitude (not kissing his arse like everyone else in the band did) & that he wanted me out. OK, no problem I said, I'll do the gig tonight & that'll be it. An hour or so later I get another phone call from him to say that the gig was off because the drummer (who lived in West Sussex) couldn't get there because of snow. OK says I, I'll pick my gear up from your place at the weekend.

A few days later I've got the promoter of the gig (who was a total psycho) threatening me with a hammer. The gig hadn't been cancelled at all - they did it without me & told the promoter I just hadn't bothered showing up. That was when I decided not to bother with bands anymore.
[/quote]

Well, at least they had the decency to tell you. But you did get threatened with a hammer, so 'swings and roundabouts' as they say...

The thing is, I really enjoy playing in bands in spite of the challenges, I just find that it gets harder to find suitable/complimentary musicians as you get older, unless of course you want to go down the covers route... and frankly I'd rather stick my face in a rusty meat grinder.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1482244922' post='3198790']
Why would they have? They're just people and, by and large, people are dicks.
[/quote] have to disagree with you there, some people are dicks most are reasonably reasonable, though we all have our faults, some peoples you can put up with, some you can't
[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1482245672' post='3198806']

the most important thing I learnt was that being willing to compromise more has not resulted in my willy getting smaller, as I had always previously believed. As a result I am happier in the band.
[/quote]yeah choose your battles.

I've learnt even if your guitarist leaves the band 10 days before a tour, you can replace them and do the tour as if nothing had happened....

If people are being dicks and keep threatening to leave if they don't get their way, call their bluff and say 'bye then!' You'll both be surprised at how un-essential they are.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1482252595' post='3198920']
..........to only go on to Basschat once per month and to ignore bedroom playing, musical theory spouting, tone obsessed, slapping, effects loving, bullsh!t typing so called bass players!
[/quote]
Yes, but tell us, what do you REALLY think?
😄

The bad : longevity and commitment to make a band work is getting less by the year .
I'm not sure if it's due to the fact you can get an instant replacement on Twitface or Gumbook or some other website , but I notice musicians are very fickle and will think nothing of giving you the boot if you are not cool / tattoo'ed up / unemployed so you can embark on that world tour ( even before you've even done your first pub gig )

The Good : after 35 years of just being a bass player , ( and guitarist ) , learning to speak out and tell people what sounds good and what sounds sh1t , listening to advice without feeling inadequate and offering advice to other players , and having the courage to just pack your bass up and walk away when you are playing with intolerable / deluded band members .