Why become a member? ×

A 'simple' setup

karlbbb

I'm hoping to change from my Zoom to just 2-4 pedals that will give me "my sound" no matter what amp I plug in to. Don't get me wrong, the Zoom is a great pedal, but I only need one sound. I was wondering what 3 or 4 pedals should I be looking at to give me a good sound. I'm guessing a compressor/limiter to be one of them, and then presumably some form of DI box (MXR, SansAmp etc) at the end. I was just hoping I could get a couple of ideas/recommendations and then go from there!

I will be selling my basses and Zoom in the coming weeks (hopefully) and getting myself a Squier VMJ after deciding to get back to basics and not go for a 6 string that I asked about in another thread.

Thanks for any help!

[quote name='karlbbb' post='307142' date='Oct 15 2008, 03:12 PM']I'm hoping to change from my Zoom to just 2-4 pedals that will give me "my sound" no matter what amp I plug in to. Don't get me wrong, the Zoom is a great pedal, but I only need one sound. I was wondering what 3 or 4 pedals should I be looking at to give me a good sound. I'm guessing a compressor/limiter to be one of them, and then presumably some form of DI box (MXR, SansAmp etc) at the end. I was just hoping I could get a couple of ideas/recommendations and then go from there!

I will be selling my basses and Zoom in the coming weeks (hopefully) and getting myself a Squier VMJ after deciding to get back to basics and not go for a 6 string that I asked about in another thread.

Thanks for any help![/quote]

All I can tell you is that my signal chain is:

[b]Bass>Boss TU2(Tuner)>BBEOptoStomp(Compressor)>SansAmpBassDriverDI>AmpInput[/b]

That cetainly helps me to achieve "my sound" with just about any rig I am presented with, but I have no way of knowing what "your sound" is. :) :huh:

I go like this:

VT Bass -> Diamond Compressor -> Radial JDI (if going direct to PA) -> Amp FX Return socket

I'm really happy with the sound I get out of this setup, it sounds the same wherever I go no matter what crappy amp I happen to be using.

It's not really a good idea to plug a Sansamp BDDI or VT Bass into a regular amp input as the amp will impart it's own tone on the Sansamp signal. If you go into the FX return socket you bypass the amp's pre-amp and you will get 'your sound' going straight to the power amp stage. The sound coming from the amp will also closely match what is going through the PA.

At the risk of looking like I'm trying to steal someones sound, perhaps a tone similar to this video:

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ANlkDwF3P-o&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ANlkDwF3P-o&...feature=related[/url]

Just a nice round tone and not too bassy.

I would get three pedals:

A tuner
A compressor/limiter
An EQ

Boss make industry-standard, high quality versions of all these (the compressor is called the Bass Limiter-Enhancer, and you want the dedicated Bass EQ; the tuner is the standard TU-2).

If you're not wanting anything more radical than a simple clean bass sound you won't need more than that for any situation. You don't really need a DI box if you use modern-type pedals like Boss since they all have built-in buffering and will happily drive any amp, desk or length of cable (or DI box, on big stages where the soundman will probably want you to use his one anyway).

I think that high-quality individual pedals do sound better than cheap multi-FX units too by the way.

Edited by Thunderhead

[quote name='Thunderhead' post='308015' date='Oct 16 2008, 05:09 PM']I would get three pedals:

A tuner
A compressor/limiter
An EQ

Boss make industry-standard, high quality versions of all these (the compressor is called the Bass Limiter-Enhancer, and you want the dedicated Bass EQ; the tuner is the standard TU-2).

If you're not wanting anything more radical than a simple clean bass sound you won't need more than that for any situation. You don't really need a DI box if you use modern-type pedals like Boss since they all have built-in buffering and will happily drive any amp, desk or length of cable (or DI box, on big stages where the soundman will probably want you to use his one anyway).

I think that high-quality individual pedals do sound better than cheap multi-FX units too by the way.[/quote]

Would you recommend the Boss LMB over say perhaps the BBE OptoStomp? I like the look of the OptoStomp, nice and simple, and I'd have it as an always on effect.

[quote name='karlbbb' post='308318' date='Oct 17 2008, 02:11 AM']Would you recommend the Boss LMB over say perhaps the BBE OptoStomp? I like the look of the OptoStomp, nice and simple, and I'd have it as an always on effect.[/quote]I've never tried the BBE, so I don't know. If you want it as your main sound, you should at least try to compare them though - I mentioned the Boss ones because they are the industry standard, easy to get, reliable, fairly cheap and do the job - but there are certainly better pedals tone-wise.

I actually don't like the Enhancer function of the Boss LMB at all by the way, although the limiter is quite nice - because it has a threshold setting as well as ratio, you can set it so it doesn't mess up your normal playing dynamics as much as a simple compressor does.

Edited by Thunderhead

[quote name='Thunderhead' post='308015' date='Oct 16 2008, 05:09 PM']I would get three pedals:

A tuner
A compressor/limiter
An EQ

I think that high-quality individual pedals do sound better than cheap multi-FX units too by the way.[/quote]

A tuner isn't really a 'pedal' though is it ?
And I'd recommend branching off to a tuner from another pedal or the amp ( assuming it's a passive pickup bass else if it's active pickups you could branh off that too ) rather than going 'through' it.

If you want to give the sound desk an 'amp' sound without mic'ing the cab then are you happy with the DI / pre-amp output of your amp for that ? If so that's problem solved I think. Maybe needing a simple DI box to minimise buzz / humm caused by 'ground loops'. The sound guy should be carrying these as a matter of course.

If you want to send a more coloured sound to the FOH desk - as if it's a mic'd cab - then you will need something along the lines of a Sansamp BDDI - like that ( the programmable version looks good in price now compared to the basic unit or look at the 'Para driver ' ) or maybe MXR Bass DI / Hartke Bass Attack pedal - depending on your personal taste . You really just have to try them out to evaluate.
The Hartke is a lot cheaper and there's a Behringer 'copy' of the Sansamp BDDI at about £28 ! ( I know people have views both sonically and ethically about the Behringer kit )

Personally I find the Sansamp BDDI helps whether in front of the desk or transistor ( Trace Elliot ) amp.
I haven't tried the EBS competition or the more recent Sansamp bass 'character ' effects.
And people here seem to rate the DHA kit so maybe worth a listen ?

You may be better leaving dynamics (ie compression / limiting ) to the sound desk unless it's a fundamental part of your sound.
In which case I'd recommend a rack type unit over pedals although the Trace Elliot dual band can be good depending on the version.
That's not available as new anymore - but I would guess the Ashdown dual band compressor nay be simiar / updated ?
Personally I use a few things depending on my mood but mainly a Trace SMX dual band pedal or Alesis NanoCompressor ( half rack) .
And sometimes at home a Behringer ( German - before radical cost cutting / production in China ) Composer rack Compressor / Limiter.

Cheers

Edited by rmorris

[quote name='rmorris' post='309040' date='Oct 18 2008, 03:13 AM']A tuner isn't really a 'pedal' though is it ?
And I'd recommend branching off to a tuner from another pedal or the amp ( assuming it's a passive pickup bass else if it's active pickups you could branh off that too ) rather than going 'through' it.[/quote]It depends what type of tuner.

The old non-pedal Boss TU-12 tuner for example has a low input impedance which is in parallel with the input jack at all times, and if you're going to it direct from a passive bass you need to be able to switch it out of the signal path entirely when it's not in use, or it's a real tone-sucker - even a simple 'tuner out' from something like a volume pedal is not enough as it doesn't actually disconnect the tuner. You need either an A/B switch, or something with a buffered output to drive the tuner.

But the TU-2 - which certainly IS a pedal! :) - is the exact opposite, it has a very good internal buffer, so it's BETTER to go through the tuner. The only exception would be if you were using something like an old-style fuzz pedal (or one of the modern 'retro' ones based on them) - these often don't sound as good when driven by a buffer, so in that case you need to go from the bass to the fuzz and THEN to the TU-2.

I also don't think you want to leave compression to the sound desk... that's giving control of your dynamics to an unknown unit with unknown settings (unless you're touring with your own complete rig and soundman), and even though rack compressors are certainly higher quality than pedal compressors they won't necessarily sound 'right' for bass. There will often be limiting at the desk to prevent overloads and distortion, but it will normally be set 'high and hard', so it just catches the extreme peaks and doesn't interfere with the dynamics of the music.

I really don't understand the way a lot of bass players seem to care so little about what they sound like out front that many will allow the soundman total control - including often to DI the INSTRUMENT and not the amp, so what the audience hears can often bear no relation to what it sounds like on stage and what the player interacts with... as well as simply sounding like a bass pickup made loud, which to me is only half the sound at best.

Edited by Thunderhead

If I was to buy the DHA VT1-EQ-DassDrive would the internal tube offer any natural compression? With regards to compression I'm only after a tiny amount just to smooth out the sound, so was wondering if having the tube in the DHA pedal would give me the small amount I need?

[quote name='karlbbb' post='309785' date='Oct 19 2008, 12:47 PM']If I was to buy the DHA VT1-EQ-DassDrive would the internal tube offer any natural compression? With regards to compression I'm only after a tiny amount just to smooth out the sound, so was wondering if having the tube in the DHA pedal would give me the small amount I need?[/quote]

Valves add compression anyway as they tend to fatten out the sound and seem slower to react to peaks than solid state. But there is always the colour switch on the EQ which switches in a negative feedback path into the circuit and this introduces compression and gain.

Dave

[quote name='DHA' post='309871' date='Oct 19 2008, 03:44 PM']Valves add compression anyway as they tend to fatten out the sound and seem slower to react to peaks than solid state. But there is always the colour switch on the EQ which switches in a negative feedback path into the circuit and this introduces compression and gain.

Dave[/quote]

Sounds like it'd be just what I need Dave! Would the pedal be OK to run after a Boss tuner pedal, or would I be best just leaving the tuner out until I need it? The idea of the VT1 is certainly intriguing and would be great to have all my tone coming from just the one pedal.

[quote name='karlbbb' post='309971' date='Oct 19 2008, 06:51 PM']Sounds like it'd be just what I need Dave! Would the pedal be OK to run after a Boss tuner pedal, or would I be best just leaving the tuner out until I need it? The idea of the VT1 is certainly intriguing and would be great to have all my tone coming from just the one pedal.[/quote]

Yes it will be fine after the tuner.

Dave

[quote name='karlbbb' post='307319' date='Oct 15 2008, 07:33 PM']At the risk of looking like I'm trying to steal someones sound, perhaps a tone similar to this video:

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ANlkDwF3P-o&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ANlkDwF3P-o&...feature=related[/url]

Just a nice round tone and not too bassy.[/quote]

To be honest that's just how VMJs sound - no pedals required. But if you must have some, compressor and EQ should allow you to dial in what you need with any amp.

I would make sure you've totally exhausted the possibilities of the Zoom before swapping over though, there's a lot of usable stuff in there.

Cheers
Alun