Why become a member? ×

Shipping a bass safely

Autobot22

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I'm selling a bass and may need to ship it to the buyer. I have no idea how to go about this (ie where to get a cardboard guitar box, packing materials etc) and how to ensure it gets to the buyer in one piece, how much to pay, etc etc. Any advice much appreciated.

Regarding packaging etc, I've made good use of cardboard bicycle container boxes from Halfords etc.

They're good thick cardboard, and 20 mins with a stanley knife should enable you to cut one down to the right size and shape. I've then packed the guitar/case/gigbag whatever in layers of bubble wrap and/or crumpled up newspaper, left over cardboard etc which are all lightweight and give good protection from bumps etc.

If the guitar is in a hard case, then also work packing the insides of the hard case itself with bubblewrap/newspaper etc to make the guitar fit tightly inside its case and not jiggle about inside, and also to sort of prevent it bashing against any hard edges in the event of an accident.

I don't know about courier costs abroad tho - i'm sure some of the other forum members will have shipped items abroad tho.

hope that helps.

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1482150563' post='3197992']
Regarding packaging etc, I've made good use of cardboard bicycle container boxes from Halfords etc.

They're good thick cardboard, and 20 mins with a stanley knife should enable you to cut one down to the right size and shape. I've then packed the guitar/case/gigbag whatever in layers of bubble wrap and/or crumpled up newspaper, left over cardboard etc which are all lightweight and give good protection from bumps etc.
[/quote]

THIS :)

Are you shipping it within the UK or abroad?

One thing you need to watch out for is getting stung for insurance costs that don't actually cover the item.
For instance, Parcelforce with not cover an instrument for more than £150, regardless of it's value. If you book a Parcelforce delivery through the post office quite often the people behind the counter don't know the various insurance tariffs for different items & people sometimes get charged for useless insurance.

Whoever you book a delivery with ALWAYS check the insurance exclusion information as instruments are usually in there somewhere.

If it has a bolt-on neck, maybe think about removing it for shipping. Consult your buyer though, as some people don't like this.

The advantage is that you remove the weakest point (i.e. the neck/body join) and also reduce the size of the package. Couriers often don't like awkward shaped boxes, and a smaller box may be handled more considerately... Then all it takes the buyer is five minutes with a screwdriver to restore the bass to its proper condition.

Always use more packing than you think you'll need. Anything that is available will do - I've used old towels, blankets, cardboard, bubblewrap and even old T-shirts!!

[quote name='Autobot22' timestamp='1482150178' post='3197987']
I'm selling a bass and may need to ship it to the buyer. I have no idea how to go about this (ie where to get a cardboard guitar box, packing materials etc) and how to ensure it gets to the buyer in one piece, how much to pay, etc etc. Any advice much appreciated.
[/quote]

Slacken off the strings about half a turn. Put in a bass case or gig bag. Pack any empty space around the bass so it can't move about inside the case. Put the case or bag into a cardboard box, If you can't get one from a guitar shop then you can get great cardboard boxes from bike shops. Pack the spaces so it can't move. Tape it up, a lot. You're done.

Some couriers have size limits which exclude basses and many won't insure musical instruments.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1482155022' post='3198046']Some couriers have size limits which exclude basses and many won't insure musical instruments.
[/quote]

True. Yet they'll still charge you for insurance! Always read the small print and conditions <_<

Thanks for all your advice thus far chaps. I don't have a guitar shop conveniently close, but there is a Halfords nearby so great suggestion about the bike packaging. I am posting this to an address in the UK, and have seen other comments about Parcelforce not providing insurance cover - so who do people generally use for shipping, and can anyone give me a rough idea of shipping cost (including insurance)? Cheers again.

Possibly a bit 'belt and braces' but if I am shipping a bass abroad, not shipping with a hard case or using anything longer than an overnight service I will endeavour to double box it, with a layer of padding between the boxes.

Within the UK I would always use Interparcel, and usually use their UPS next day service. Cost will depend largely upon insurance you take out ie value of the bass but somewhere around £20-£25 for a sub- £500 bass.

Edited by Paul S

I'm probably not alone in having a couple of spare boxes - if you share your location you might find that somebody else may have one.

I received a bass in a flat screen TV box once - very little work needed to get the bass to fit (basically making sure it does move inside).

Another user of Interparcel - the only service I won't use is MyHermes - prefer Parcelforce though I know many BCers have had negative experiences with them.

This is how I packed a bass I recently sent to Slovenia. Arrived safely in 4 days with UPS via inter parcel. I used a gig bag, loads of cardboard and large bubble packaging that came with a bit of Christmas shopping from Amazon. All packed inside a bike box. Oh yeah - my camping roll mat was sacrificed for the cause too!
I would always put a copy of the shipping labels inside the box too......

[url="http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/perryandy/media/IMG_20161120_110044825_zpskezuqaws.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/perryandy/media/IMG_20161120_112038072_zps6uardsb4.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/perryandy/media/15151524_10207724974222983_28761511_n_zps3fucgkzd.jpg.html"][/url]

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1482153777' post='3198033']
If it has a bolt-on neck, maybe think about removing it for shipping. Consult your buyer though, as some people don't like this.

The advantage is that you remove the weakest point (i.e. the neck/body join) and also reduce the size of the package. Couriers often don't like awkward shaped boxes, and a smaller box may be handled more considerately... Then all it takes the buyer is five minutes with a screwdriver to restore the bass to its proper condition.

Always use more packing than you think you'll need. Anything that is available will do - I've used old towels, blankets, cardboard, bubblewrap and even old T-shirts!!
[/quote]
I have also read that this can get round the musical instrument exclusion policies as it becomes parts of an instrument. True or not I'm not sure.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1482160794' post='3198113']
I just received a bass from abroad via UPS and everything was fine. I had everything crossed. . . must have worked!

Interparcel refused the bass sized parcel I was trying to send because it was too big!
[/quote]
Are you sure you didn't enter the size on the site in MM rather than CM? I've never had a problem on Interparcel.