Why become a member? ×

Behringer X AIR X18

Zombie1965

[url="https://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Digital-Mixers/X18/p/P0AWZ"]https://www.music-gr...ers/X18/p/P0AWZ[/url]

Seen one of these going for £360, ex display. Looked on the net and its abilities seem to good to be true.

Can this thing really be a fully fledged digital mixer, complete with decent enough pre's, gates ,compressors, EQ, and Effects while also having the ability to chose a place in the signal chain for each input while a band plays live and have that recorded into my DAW on my laptop for mixing later?

If so its sold!

Anyone used one?

Edited by Zombie1965

We use one live. Never had a real problem with the wireless as sometimes is claimed. It has gone off once but the sound carries on and any competent engineer can reconnect within seconds. Possibly a bit more difficult if a band member is mixing onstage but as said, the sound does not cut out and carries on.

We can play live and record multi track into Logic with ease. Also, 6 individual monitor signals and 31 band graphic on everything. Our engineer is over the moon with it.

It does everything we ask of it. The best bit of tackle we ever bought.

Unfortunately no. We haven't recorded an actual gig (there's never been an oportunity where we have had enough time to set everything up properly) but we also use the desk for rehearsals, which is basically the same thing apart from in rehearsal we use an electronic kit.

We have recorded rehearsals before into Logic and it has worked well. We do covers so I've never actually felt the need to save them! The next time we rehearse I'll record it, save it and post.

Edited by itsmedunc

We got one a few months ago, 3 gigs and its paid for itself. Probably the best bit of kit we ever bought, no more mixing desk to lug around and find somewhere to put on a tiny stage!
The size and weight is great, we put it in front of the bass drum, mic everything up (theres plenty of inputs) and the drummer mixes on the tablet. We get a great mix, save it as that particular venue's own mix for next time and crack on. So far never had a loss of signal but as others have said thats not a worry as it doesnt loose its settings if you do.
If you can afford one, I recommend.

• 3 weeks later...

Been using one live since they were first available. Excellent piece of kit, loads of features and I have had nowt but compliments on the sound. Lots of tales re WIFI connection stability, but I run ours with a airport mini on 5ghz and have had no problem with dropouts since. Downside is support for the iPad app is appalling (been 15+ months since the last update) and there is too much variability between the different versions of the app (windows/mac/android/iPad).

The X-Air series come with a free licence for Tracktion which I am only just beginning to get my head around. My intention is to record a few tracks from a show but as I mix from the side of the stage whilst playing, I need to grow another pair of hands to accomplish this.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1482133506' post='3197805']
We got one a few months ago, 3 gigs and its paid for itself. Probably the best bit of kit we ever bought, no more mixing desk to lug around and find somewhere to put on a tiny stage!
The size and weight is great, we put it in front of the bass drum, mic everything up (theres plenty of inputs) and the drummer mixes on the tablet. We get a great mix, save it as that particular venue's own mix for next time and crack on. So far never had a loss of signal but as others have said thats not a worry as it doesnt loose its settings if you do.
If you can afford one, I recommend.
[/quote]

I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger.

I have been and listen to a band that use one live and fair play it sounded great. As for recording a live show, it looks to me like i could just set up the live sound as usual and then send the individual tracks post gain / pre EQ into any DAW software for mixing later. I cant wait to try it out.

I've posted this on the forum before, but here's a gig I recorded last year with the XR18:
https://youtu.be/dN2JFWjn5FU
I've never had problems with the USB recording; think I've done up to 14 channels into Logic on a MacBook Pro and can record for hours without issues. As long as the gains are right everything's sweet. I really like the preamp sound; way better than the price would suggest. Would recommend an external hard drive though (I use a
Lacie Rugged which works great)
I had increasing dropouts with the built in wifi in busy gigs (as far as I can tell due to more mobile phones than anything else) but have started using an external router and no problems since.
Once you get used to it, the app is truly remarkable; so many features! There's really nothing I've wanted to do with it that I can't. Even multiband compression on the output mix, which sounds great. There have been a couple of bugs, and I once had to do a hard reset before a gig that was a real pain in the arse, and currently have lost the main output meter display, but not bothering me immensely.
I've been close to upgrading to the X32 rack several times, but really not found an excuse to yet!

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1483898714' post='3210968']
I've posted this on the forum before, but here's a gig I recorded last year with the XR18:
[url="https://youtu.be/dN2JFWjn5FU"]https://youtu.be/dN2JFWjn5FU[/url]
I've never had problems with the USB recording; think I've done up to 14 channels into Logic on a MacBook Pro and can record for hours without issues. As long as the gains are right everything's sweet. I really like the preamp sound; way better than the price would suggest. Would recommend an external hard drive though (I use a
Lacie Rugged which works great)
I had increasing dropouts with the built in wifi in busy gigs (as far as I can tell due to more mobile phones than anything else) but have started using an external router and no problems since.
Once you get used to it, the app is truly remarkable; so many features! There's really nothing I've wanted to do with it that I can't. Even multiband compression on the output mix, which sounds great. There have been a couple of bugs, and I once had to do a hard reset before a gig that was a real pain in the arse, and currently have lost the main output meter display, but not bothering me immensely.
I've been close to upgrading to the X32 rack several times, but really not found an excuse to yet!
[/quote]

Wow, thanks for this, I have been looking to find an actual recording with the [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]XR18 used as an interface while also being used as a mixer. I am likely going to be connected to a laptop via cable for 99% of gigs so connectivity issues are not so much of a worry for me. I always have a laptop wih me anyway. I will give the tablet mixing a try though as that could be a handy feature for our roadie to make tweaks from the room if something sounds way off.[/color][/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]I am hoping to use a bit of compression and what not too. Decision is made. Just got to get the funds together now. The offer ended early due to selling out. I hope they come back for the original price although I feel they are worth the full RRP anyway. [/color][/font]

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1483898714' post='3210968']
.....and currently have lost the main output meter display, but not bothering me immensely.
[/quote]

The main output meter disappeared after a recent iOS update, so hopefully this will be reinstated when (if) we get the long awaited update to the iPad app (currently 16 months and waiting). I've considered a x32 Compact for the easy of having physical faders to grab as I mix from the side of the stage whilst playing, but I cannot really justify the cost versus the number of gigs we do.