Why become a member? ×

Bands / artists with songs about other bands / artists

darkandrew

[b]Orange Juice[/b] - [i]Rip it Up[/i]:
"You know me, I'm acting dum dum / You know the scene is very humdrum / And my favourite song's entitled Boredom"

[b]They Might Be Giants[/b] - A whole bunch of songs, among them [i]XTC Vs. Adam Ant[/i]; [i]The Day[/i]:
"The day Marvin Gaye and Phil Ochs got married";
and [i]Twisting [/i]which references The dB's and The Young Fresh Fellows.

Technically a lot of [b]Blur[/b]'s [i]13[/i] album is about Justine Frischmann from Elastica.

[b]Pavement[/b] - [i]Stereo[/i]:
"What about the voice of Geddy Lee / How did it get so high? / I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy"

[b]Eddie Floyd[/b]'s [i]Big Bird[/i] is about Otis Redding, and probably the greatest song he recorded! There were other Otis tributes too (at least one), but I can't remember them now.

Edited by ZilchWoolham

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1482174166' post='3198238']
And recorded with a Stingray :)
[/quote]
Oh, so that's when he used them. I saw you mention Alex James in a list of Stingray users but I've never seen him with one. That's interesting actually. I suppose that album isn't really what you'd typically associate with a Stingray.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1482070084' post='3197344']
There were a lot of gushing songs about the beatles in their early heyday, eg

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrB_crfxdgg[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec6HpzJ8gRI&list=RDec6HpzJ8gRI#t=37[/media]
[/quote]

there is a reel to reel tape of me singing "we love you Beatles" in 1964 as a three year old hehe

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1482144846' post='3197921']
Alice Cooper, has the song 'Poison'.

The band Poison, are yet to release a song called 'Alice Cooper'.
[/quote]

That's a good point, actually - I have heard a story to the effect that ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead released an album called [i]Madonna [/i]because they lost a bet with her. Allegedly, if the bet had turned out differently, Madonna would have been bound (at least by gentleman's agreement) to release an album called [i]...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead.[/i]

I'll get the embarrassing one out of the way first; 'Long Haired Lover From Liverpool' by Jimmy Osmond is about the Beatles,

'London Calling' by The Clash has the line ...'phoney Beatle mania has bitten the dust...' which obviously references the fab four, but is supposedly a reference to the demise of the Bay City Rollers,

'Runnin' Down a Dream' by Tom Petty has the line '...I had the radio on, me and Del were singin', Little Runaway...' references Del Shannon

'Sir Duke' by Stevie Wonder is a tribute to Duke Ellington and also mentions Count Basie, Glen Miller, Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Sonic Youth - "Tunic" is about Karen Carpenter

Butthole Surfers - "Julio Iglesias" 

US Maple - "Letter to ZZ Top"

Today Is the day - "Bugs Death March" (Mike Stipe/Now he has bugs :ph34r:)

Fall - "I am Damo Suzuki"

Minutemen - "Political song for Michael Jackson to sing"

Edited by oZZma

KISS references:

Cheap Trick reference KISS in their track Surrender "Got my KISS records out".

Jimmy Barnes/INXS reference Paul Stanley of KISS (amongst others) in their track 'Good Time Tonight'. "Paul Stanley's gonna be there tonight"

Jellyfish's 'Joining A Fan Club' is about joining the KISS Army....

On 10/02/2019 at 21:26, cetera said:

KISS references:

Cheap Trick reference KISS in their track Surrender "Got my KISS records out".

Jimmy Barnes/INXS reference Paul Stanley of KISS (amongst others) in their track 'Good Time Tonight'. "Paul Stanley's gonna be there tonight"

Jellyfish's 'Joining A Fan Club' is about joining the KISS Army....

See also In the Garage from Weezer's first album!

• Like 1

Howabout sideways references, such as musical cues, such as the Black Sabbaths 'Devil Woman/cliff richard' breakdown in Lady Evil etc. There is a Sixx AM song with a section that is straight off God gave rock and roll to you/Kiss* as well, but I can't remember which bit

* Yes I know it was someone else than kiss originally I think this is to Kiss,