Why become a member? ×

Bands / artists with songs about other bands / artists

darkandrew

Following on from another thread about bands and artists with eponymous song titles, and inspired by Motorhead's "RAMONES", I was thinking of other bands / artists that have written songs about other bands / artists.

The first one that sprang to mind was ABC's "When Smokey Sings" about Smokey Robinson.

Mott the Hoople's (David Bowie) song 'All the Young Dudes' mentions T.Rex ( as well as the Beatles and the Stones )
'Jackie Wilson Said' by Van / Dexy's.
The Commodores 'Night Train' mentions just about every soul act, as does Arthur Conley's 'Sweet Soul Music'....
And let's not forget the recent 'Lets Marvin Gaye and get it on ' by Charlie Puth.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1482074671' post='3197403']
Mott the Hoople's (David Bowie) song 'All the Young Dudes' mentions T.Rex ( as well as the Beatles and the Stones )
[/quote]
Bowie referenced a number artists/well know people in his songs - Andy Warhol, Aleister Crowley, Che Guevara, Benny Goodman, Twiggy, John Lennon to name but a few.

Oh, and Mickey Mouse..!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1482081241' post='3197467']
True!

....and can I also add (Sheena's In Love With) Joey Ramoney by Helen Love! :)

In fact, a whole load of HL tracks reference The Ramones, and other bands as well.
[/quote]

Whilst wondering just how many Ramone featuring songs there actually are I came across this....

http://sabotagetimes.com/music/250-songs-mention-ramones