Why become a member? ×

Bands, who had songs that were the same as the band name.

MacDaddy

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1481898014' post='3196107']
My old band Violent Intent - straight outta Sidcup - had a song called Violent Intent.
[/quote]
My old band Closer Apart -- Wokingham's finest, circa 1987 -- and our sig tune 'Closer Apart'.

Anyone know which came first in a lot of the more well-known cases - e.g., did Iron Maiden/Black Sabbath, etc write the song first, then decide it would be a good band name? (In the case of The Hives, I'd say it's pretty self-evident which way round it was...)

For example, I know that Lemmy originally wrote [i]Motorhead[/i] for Hawkwind, and I have heard that he only named his subsequent band after the song because the record company wouldn't sign a band called The Bastards!

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1482085174' post='3197522']
Anyone know which came first in a lot of the more well-known cases - e.g., did Iron Maiden/Black Sabbath, etc write the song first, then decide it would be a good band name?
[/quote]

Black Sabbath took their name from a film that was playing in the cinema opposite their rehearsal place.
Apparently they wanted to play music that scared you like a horror film.