Why become a member? ×

NBD Mensinger Speesy

Fisheth

Thought I'd do a quick post on this, as I've just received this bass, but wanted to give some thoughts.

I'm primarily a Metal bassist and I felt that there was a lack of any flying V shapes among the big boys, so I did some searching and a few brands came up, one of which was Mensinger, who are the same builders as Maruszczyk (say that after a few beers) under a different name.

Which is great as you're still dealing with Adrian throughout the whole process, who is superb to deal with. I've got no qualms with him. However if you're going to email him, be prepared for some blunt sounding and short sentences, due to his English knowledge, but he was very good with communication and other than a slight barrier it was fine.

In terms of specs I went with:

Alder Body
Green Burst
Trapezoid inlays
Maple Finger board
set neck
Delano PVC 4 FE/M2
Custom U shaped neck profile
Reversed headstock

(I don't have any photo's outside of this one, so here you go)

After a Fed Eex mishap (these happen) I was meant to receive the bass yesterday, but I didn't and it came today. So I've only just picked it up.
But wow, it's everything that I asked for.

Including the little detail of the reverse headstock, I felt that the one the standard model has would have been a bit thrashy for what my band play, so I asked if I could get it reversed and more like a typical Jackson headstock and the response was "OK" Which I thought meant was for "OK I've acknowledged it" I forgot about it and got a nice suprise.

The Delano pickup has a Stingray type edge to it. Which is nice, it's got a bit of grind but it's still very musical and articulate through my CTM 100.
But I may swap it out for a Duncan SPB4. But I think I'll leave it in for now and give my ears time to adjust to it.

It plays great with it being super smooth with no sharp frets or any issues, set up great. It's a 32" scale, so it feels weird for now compared to my Precision basses, which are all 34" but it's not as big as a difference as I thought it would and I just need some time to adjust.

Wish I'd asked for Flats to be put on it, but I completely forgot and it has rounds, which are in fact are very nice. If a little clunky being used to rounds.

As it's my second bass from Public Peace, I'm very impressed. More so with this one as they've pulled off my dream bass. I'd use them again for sure and depending on how my band take this one, I'm thinking of getting another made.

It has to pass the gig and the rehearsal test, but I think it should with ease.

Another top bass from Adrian and Public Peace.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1481822595' post='3195483']
Cracking bit of kit. All the sitting about yesterday just waiting must have been murder.

Congrats on getting your dream bass.
[/quote]

It's honestly a blast to play, we're not an evil band. Honest.

We sing about dragons and stuff, so I thought it was perfect, haha!

So if the headstock is reversed from the standard, does that mean that the standard would have the tuners on the underside, if that makes any sense at all?

Because if the tuners were on the underside then that's normally what I think of as a reversed headstock.

Cracking looking bass by the way. My metal days are long behind me, but I've never lost my love of pointy guitars.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1481828777' post='3195558']
So if the headstock is reversed from the standard, does that mean that the standard would have the tuners on the underside, if that makes any sense at all?

Because if the tuners were on the underside then that's normally what I think of as a reversed headstock.

Cracking looking bass by the way. My metal days are long behind me, but I've never lost my love of pointy guitars.
[/quote]

Indeed, yes.

My logic was it's reversed to that, so that's where the phrase reversed headstock came from.

Looks more like banana peel

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1481833162' post='3195603']
Works for me.
[/quote]

Thinking about trying the normal headstock next time for some variety though!

Some updated thoughts:

Been going back and forth between this and my Jake.

They sound totally different, but they play virtually the same. The 32" scale of the Speesy doesn't feel like it's changed the deepness of the tone compared to the 34" and I'm not finding it as difficult to adjust as I thought I would. It's like a 4 to a 5 string for me. I can change on the fly, which is really nice.

Edited by Fisheth

as I said before, I'm not a fan of V type or generally pointy instruments... but this one looks fantastic! I love the green/maple... it kind of tames the 'pointiness' a bit... like "yeah, I'm pointy and I can rip your heart out of your body if I wanted to, but if you don't betray me I'm all mellow and sweet, really" :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1481968539' post='3196594']
as I said before, I'm not a fan of V type or generally pointy instruments... but this one looks fantastic! I love the green/maple... it kind of tames the 'pointiness' a bit... like "yeah, I'm pointy and I can rip your heart out of your body if I wanted to, but if you don't betray me I'm all mellow and sweet, really" :lol:
[/quote]

I only went pointy to stop the drummer playing out of time!

*plays out of time*

Where's me eye gone? :D