Why become a member? ×

Favourite album from 2016?

Roland Rock

The year is almost through, so what album have you really enjoyed from this year?

For me, there have been a few, but the one that has had the biggest impact for me was Kate Tempest's "Let Them Eat Chaos"; the moody, understated synthy soundtrack perfectly accompanies Kate's wonderful poetry/hip hop storytelling (not a bass guitar in sight)

Looking forward to your recommendations. A brief description of the album would be great.

Edited by Roland Rock

I've heard a lot of new music this year thanks to the wonders of Spotify - I'll post a top 50 at the end of the year, but there has been one album for me that has been head and shoulders above all others and that is Cult Of Luna's collaboration with Julie Christmas - Mariner.

An astonishing record of immense scope and ambition, Cult Of Luna's building, swelling post-metal is wonderfully juxtaposed by Julie Christmas's vocals which range from haunting melody to banshee like shriek. The climax of album closer Cygnus, has to be one of the musical highlights of the year, which is not to disregard the rest of the album, particularly centre piece The Wreck Of SS Needle and opener A Greater Call.

I was lucky enough to catch one of the few live performances of Mariner at this year's Damnation Festival in Leeds; it was the best live performance I've ever seen by anyone.

Edited by Graham

weirdly, my favourite album that was release this year is probably a spoken word one, Crow by Joolz Denby & Henning Nugel. It's a companion piece to Winter by New Model Army, which is also a great album, and Henning Nugel's cinematic music is stunning, adds real dynamics to Joolz's poetry.

Honourable mention to Wakrat

I've only bought two albums that were new this year.

"Atomic" by Mogwai on the strength of hearing the track Ether every day on 6 music for about a month. Unfortunately this is by far the best track on the album the rest of it being rather "meh".

So my album of the year is going to be [url=https://terminalgods.bandcamp.com/album/wave-form]Wave / Form by Terminal Gods[/url], who I was lucky enough to support a couple weekends ago, and who are as good on record as they are live.

I only bought half a dozen new albums this year but quite a few used ones. TBH I'm pretty underwhelmed by much of what I've heard from supposed best albums lists. For me the best is a toss up between

The Source by Afro Celt Sound System - fusion of electronica, hip hop, celtic folk, banghra, African styles. instruments include keys and electronics, cittern, dhol drums, bodhran, djembe, flutes, uillean pipes, bagpipes, kora, talking drum, vocals..for starters

Shout It Out by Balkan Beat Box, NYC based Israeli dudes mashing up Balkan folk, klezmer, hip hop, reggae, Gypsy punk, funk, cumbia, brass bands..played on trombone, drums, saxes, bass, guitars, sampler, vocals,.

Both albums have been gestating for aeons but are bluddy brilliant..IMO that is

Edited by Barking Spiders

Angel Olsen's 'My Woman' is the album I've most enjoyed this year. It starts with stroppy, electro tinged indie pop and slowly evolves into dark, brooding Americana with a hint of classic Fleetwood Mac. She's really good I think.

My 16 year old son insists I listen to Kendrick Lamar. I haven't got round to it yet, not being much of a fan of modern hip hop, but perhaps over Christmas I'll find an hour to sit back with some headphones and a large single malt and see what I think.

I had three best albums this year. And none of them in the least bit bass driven. First there's Red Sky July’s "The Truth And The Lie". Great harmony-laden Brit-country sound with lovely vocals from Shelly Poole of Alisha's Attic fame and fab guitar playing by Ally McErlaine from Texas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl6yPQ8EE2I&list=PL1ajfR6LppMks3zYes3pUBmWd55U-HZbt

Young Runaway, Hattie Briggs second offering, was a great album too and really shows a young artist growing in confidence and ability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyYMR-SDYkA

Finally I loved Franco-Canadian singer, Francesca Blanchard's, bilingual folk-pop album, Deux Visions. Just blew me away. With every listen it gets better and better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_7vVffjIzM

Edited by TrevorR