Why become a member? ×

Pups: what's the most versatile set?

scrumpymike

I'm spec'ing a new s-s J-style bass (Maruszczyk Elwood) and I need some advice on choice of pups. I don't want to go J/J because I need sounds that work ok across a variety of musical genres, namely pop, folk-rock, rock, soul and the odd bit of reggae (nothing I do calls up slap/pop percussive techniques or heavy metal sounds). But should I go P/J, M/J, P/M? Manufacturer-wise, customers can in theory spec anything they like but - unless there's an overwhelming reason not to - I'd like to spec Delano, Haeussel, Nordstrand or Aguilar, as they're the ones Adrian M seems to prefer for his standard/stock basses.

[quote name='GCYPbass' timestamp='1481754266' post='3194957']
Humbuckers with 3 way -parallel/single/series- switch are very versatile. My Maruszczyk has couple of them with switches and I am very happy with it.
[/quote]

Something like this I'd say (like the Warwick $$). That having been said the Jazz bass I think is one of the most recorded instruments so it can't be all bad!

Thanks for the really useful info, which kind of pushes me in the direction I was already leaning towards, namely P/M or P/JJ. Must say though that the twin switchable humbies are still in the frame - and the Sims interpretation of that theme looks amazing! I'm torn between two quite different spec's, both of which I really like: 'classic' - Vintage White with tort pick-guard, rosewood fingerboard, white pups and chrome hardware; and 'contemporary' - maple-capped transparent red burst with black guard, ebony board and black pups/hardware! At the moment I'm favouring the warmer 'classic' option, which wouldn't look right over-stuffed with black plastic pups. Already having a Cazpar though, I'm a bit tempted to go for the brighter look and sounds of the red burst. Especially as the chambered body I'm having (mainly to reduce weight) will probably warm the sound up a bit.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1481747038' post='3194870'] Where are you in somerset? Mine has the haeussel JJHB and P pickups in it and I love the sound of them, it is quite a range. I went for the P / Jh as I do cover band stuff so I wanted the flexibility. [/quote]

PM sent.

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1481735626' post='3194713']
I need some advice on choice of pups. I don't want to go J/J because I need sounds that work ok across a variety of musical genres, namely pop, folk-rock, rock, soul and the odd bit of reggae.
[/quote]

My observation is that all the genres you mention have players using exactly the basses you think aren't enough.

I'm not a fan of Humbuckers or PJ pickups on a Jazz. Get a Precision.

My Lakland sounds fantastic but the strength of an active bass is less in the pickups and more in the preamp and your technique.

I always like Bartolinis singles - not an exciting choice maybe, but they work and sound great... and don't have a nasty hum like a lot of the others that have been mentioned in the thread. I had a set of Nordstrands - they were unusually noisy, shame as they actually sounded alright.