Why become a member? ×

String to pickup alignment OCD

Guest MoJo

I must admit to being a little guilty of this myself, but an acquaintance of mine recently ordered a Yamaha BB424X on the strength of the reviews he'd read and his needs at the time. When it arrived, the strings didn't align exactly between the pickup pole pieces. It put him off so much that he sent it back. Having owned a number of BB414's and still currently own one, I sent him a photo of mine (see below), which clearly shows the same misalignment and told it was nothing to be worried about as I'd not noticed any volume drop or tonal difference across the strings. He replied that he'd looked at photos of others online and they are nearly all the same and it put him right off.

Is anyone else like this?

[attachment=233972:20161206_214544.jpg]

I've never owned a bass with the same nut width to bridge saddles width, there can only be one pickup position where it can line up to every string, all MM,P,J neck,J bridge pickups would need altering for different models of the same bass, I've got the grooved saddles on my Jazz V, you can't quite get any of it to line up in any formation, that would proper mess with his ocd!

Compare with one of my other BB414's and my Ibanez GSR200. I'm sure he'd be happier with these

[url="https://goo.gl/photos/9xJ2cAsL6c2HLuQ29"]https://goo.gl/photos/9xJ2cAsL6c2HLuQ29[/url]