Why become a member? ×

Equipment Nostalgia

Geddys nose

I occasionally find myself looking at old Rick 4001 basses & thinking I'd really like another one because they look so great, but then I remember that the two I owned were garbage, and every one I've ever played has been terrible too & the desire to own one soon passes again.

I have several really cool looking basses. My Gibson Gold Top Les Paul Bass, 1991 Gibson Thunderbird, ES-335 Bass to name a few. I still buy these classic looking basses but I usually gig with my Fender MIJ reissue P Basses.

Blue

Edited by blue

Gibson EB2 - which I had in my youth. Now just too costly for what they will do, other better priced alternatives are available and I clearly remember why I moved it on. Now if an EB2D appeared at the right price ........

Hiwatt 200 - which I had in my youth. Now just too heavy......

I've trained myself to view instruments as tools of the trade. If I don't use it, it gets sold and if I then decide it would be useful to own I get another one. I have a small collection that gets played rather than a large arsenal that sits in cases. I seem to have caught myself out by genuinely falling in love with my latest bass and I can't see a change coming.

Stuff I've sold that I often wish I had back:

Bass Connection SGC Nanyo SB315
Yamaha RBX765a
Yamaha TRB5 II
Warwick Streamer Stage 1 5
Trace Elliot AH400SMX

But what I'd really like is what the Streamer (the only thing on the list that I couldn't actually afford to buy again right now) would cost to buy new now (at current RRP) in cash!

Edited by Painy

Not sure it's nostalgia, but I keep doing this with 5 string basses. I've had about five but have sold them all on a few months later when I realise that I just can't be bothered putting the time in to learn to play them properly... <_< :P

Edited by Conan

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1481719779' post='3194503']
I occasionally find myself looking at old Rick 4001 basses & thinking I'd really like another one because they look so great, but then I remember that the two I owned were garbage, and every one I've ever played has been terrible too & the desire to own one soon passes again.
[/quote]

this. in spades :-)

I have nostalgia for a lot of things but not for gear.

I've been reasonably lucky. I've was able to buy what I wanted and every piece of gear has been an upgrade. Every piece has been better than what it replaced so I look forwards to the fantastic gear that has yet to be made.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1481732648' post='3194664']
Yep - Stingrays for me. Up til the last couple of years, I'd primarily played with a pick, and they never seemed to really work for me. Tried 3 of them.

Now I play almost exclusively with fingers, and really think I should give them another go...
[/quote]

Don't do it! Bloody awful things... Took 4 EBs for me to realise it

USA 1962 Precision 3 colour sunburst rosewood board. Just a few months old when I got it off the original owner

Fixed this by buying a recent USA 62 reissue of the same bass a year ago.

New one is not as nice as the memory of the original, :D but at least I could afford it and it IS a great playing and great sounding P Bass.

One of the rare occasions when they actually got the reissues RIGHT.

Rick 4001 stereo? I had one from new bought in 1973. Great bass apart from that sharp edged body peeled all the skin off my right forearm!
I swapped it for a Travis Bean which in turn got sold to finance buying a Fender Rhodes piano which in turn got traded for a fretless P Bass... which.... yada yada....

Edited by ivansc

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1481795126' post='3195145']
Don't do it! Bloody awful things... Took 4 EBs for me to realise it
[/quote]

You could be right.......Still, I've got too many Jazz Basses at the moment and one's going to have to go at some point. Would I consider a trade offer for a nice Ray, probably :rolleyes: Ha!

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1481719440' post='3194495']
Found myself looking at Rics again when they blatantly don't work for me (Owned about 6 now and all sold on)

[/quote]

A simple answer that has cured me of any Ric desire, I have long since hankered after one but couldn't justify the price for a bass I was unsure about so I picked up an old CMI copy, it's fantastic it has a big bow at the top of the neck, no matter what I do I can't get the electrics to work properly, it is dead uncomfortable to play when standing up, I am told by many it is a dead accurate copy of many older Ric's...basically it hangs on the wall looking nice but serving as a £400.00 reminder that I don't need a Ric :lol: