Why become a member? ×

starter acoustic for daughter? Budget £150 new or used

skidder652003

So its that time of year and my 16 year old daughter has made noises about wanting to learn guitar
Im thinking of this
https://www.mansons.co.uk/product/lag-t70a-natural-9106
which Ive heard and seen good things, and for £145 seems good value, I'll probably see whats about in Mansons 2nd hand as well. Just wondering if anyone else has a recommendation?
Budget £150ish
Thanks!

I bought my daughter a Sigma dreadnought last year, she has been very happy with it:

[url="https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/SIGMADMST/steel-string-acoustic-guitars/sigma-dm-st-d-acoustic-guitar-matt-finish-no-binding-natural?LGWCODE=SIGMADMST;56375;6335&gclid=Cj0KEQiA-MPCBRCZ0q23tPGm6_8BEiQAgw_bAiIIYBxQFnBcFZebhrP6d_XDzCWi6sK1rwsHAESyos0aAuNT8P8HAQ"]https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/SIGMADMST/steel-string-acoustic-guitars/sigma-dm-st-d-acoustic-guitar-matt-finish-no-binding-natural?LGWCODE=SIGMADMST;56375;6335&gclid=Cj0KEQiA-MPCBRCZ0q23tPGm6_8BEiQAgw_bAiIIYBxQFnBcFZebhrP6d_XDzCWi6sK1rwsHAESyos0aAuNT8P8HAQ[/url]

Whatever you buy, having the guitar set up so that it is easy to play is more important than the guitar itself - with your budget I would get the following;
used Yamaha F310 ~£50 (new F310s can be picked up for £99 from argos, and are a much better buy than any of the other competing laminate acoustics in that price range(ie they actually sound nice for what they are), but you can probably get something higher up the range if you buy used)
clip on tuner plus shubb capo ~£25
set of extra light guage strings and basic setup work (nut height is critical to make the guitar beginner friendly) with the balance, surplus can be spent on softcase/songbooks/lessons/whatever.

If your daughter sticks with it, she can pick out something pricier later on(I would recommend saving for something really nice rather than lots of intermediate upgrades), but the Yamaha will always have a use in situations where you wouldn't want to risk damaging a more expensive instrument like camping trips with friends, or passing it round at a party where people want to have a sing-song but are a little the worse for wear. Lots of people buy guitars and give up, and a big factor is the discomfort and pain caused by nuts that are too high, and having to deal with 12/13 gauge bronze strings with a newbies weak uncalloused hands.

Ive already got an old Yammie 310 knocking about ( for me).
Went to mansons and picked up one of these used but mint for £140
http://www.fairdealmusic.co.uk/a-folk-cedar-antique-burst-solid-top-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar-6423.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiA-MPCBRCZ0q23tPGm6_8BEiQAgw_bAj-tZAm0Oy8zf6GQlOLhZbdfLVuOWQOgOuDJ9qm0zhoaAuR-8P8HAQ
Had a play on a few and this ticked all the boxes.
Thanks for your inputs chaps.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1481722247' post='3194530']
Whatever you buy, having the guitar set up so that it is easy to play is more important than the guitar itself - with your budget I would get the following;
used Yamaha F310 ~£50 (new F310s can be picked up for £99 from argos, and are a much better buy than any of the other competing laminate acoustics in that price range(ie they actually sound nice for what they are), but you can probably get something higher up the range if you buy used)
clip on tuner plus shubb capo ~£25
set of extra light guage strings and basic setup work (nut height is critical to make the guitar beginner friendly) with the balance, surplus can be spent on softcase/songbooks/lessons/whatever.

If your daughter sticks with it, she can pick out something pricier later on(I would recommend saving for something really nice rather than lots of intermediate upgrades), but the Yamaha will always have a use in situations where you wouldn't want to risk damaging a more expensive instrument like camping trips with friends, or passing it round at a party where people want to have a sing-song but are a little the worse for wear. Lots of people buy guitars and give up, and a big factor is the discomfort and pain caused by nuts that are too high, and having to deal with 12/13 gauge bronze strings with a newbies weak uncalloused hands.
[/quote]

I agree 100%

Buy it from a proper guitar shop who will be able to tweak the setup hopefully as part of the service - nut height, bridge height (these are always too high), truss rod tweak, and fitting decent light strings will transform a guitar form an unplayable finger breaking nightmare into a thing of relative joy! :)

My friend had bought his daughter a £90 acoustic having read that it was good value. She struggled away on it for a year. I asked if I could play it the other week, I literally could not hold down a chord on it, the nut and bridge were so high and it had heavy dead strings on it. Gave me left arm pain within about 2 mins. We ran it round to charlie chandlers and for £50 (bit steep maybe) they did the nut, bridge & strings and turned it into something you can actually play and learn on.

There are loads of decent acoustics out there for sub £175, but definitely try and get to a shop - I think full size dreadnoughts are a handful, personally I like a slightly smaller body size. I tried a Sigma in chandlers and it was very nice.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1481738228' post='3194748']
Ive already got an old Yammie 310 knocking about ( for me).
Went to mansons and picked up one of these used but mint for £140
[url="http://www.fairdealmusic.co.uk/a-folk-cedar-antique-burst-solid-top-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar-6423.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiA-MPCBRCZ0q23tPGm6_8BEiQAgw_bAj-tZAm0Oy8zf6GQlOLhZbdfLVuOWQOgOuDJ9qm0zhoaAuR-8P8HAQ"]http://www.fairdealm...0zhoaAuR-8P8HAQ[/url]
Had a play on a few and this ticked all the boxes.
Thanks for your inputs chaps.
[/quote]

That's a great buy - the Godin family of guitars can be ridiculously good bargains second-hand as they are not a well known brand, but the quality is excellent.

• 1 month later...

I'd be inclined to go into Manson's, if that's reasonably local, and take her with you.
Having worked in a music shop for 15 years, the difference in feel and look is very important at that age, as is her inclusion in the process. You'll probably be able to tell which is the one just by the look on her face!
Looking at your link, I sold a few LAG guitars, and the solid top folk body idea ticks several boxes.