Why become a member? ×

Cancel the gig or grin and bare it?

stingrayPete1977

We have a gig booked for Saturday, it's not much a gig place but it's christmas and it's £400 between 4 of us. Guitarist has been for a look, we played there a while ago in another area which was tight but the LL has managed to get a big food group for that area, works doo I imagine, so he wants us here, next to the bar, quiet as possible, finish at 11 instead of 12 for £300, we're thinking sack it off? None of us need it, we approached them to fill another that we cancelled (in a 10 foot teepee at the top of a grass slope!), we have a lot of people coming but frankly I'd probably them not see us with a reduced drum kit, active monitors as the PA I think is all we could fit in, we don't even think the singer will be able to have a mic stand! No way we will get all the backing vocal mics up. Looks a bit crap all round to me? :(

[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-12/IMG_0702_zpsgxtzy5ti.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-12/IMG_0702_zpsgxtzy5ti.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Just the gap between the pillars for the drums and where these ladies are sat, even the footrest will be in the way.

I don't think the double bass will be going to this gig, so that's the setlist messed up too.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1481579330' post='3193497']
Play the gig. Look at it as a challenge: How to sound good with reduced kit and finite space. Could be a very good learning curve and better than you think. Negotiate the original ££s or Blue will never let you live it down ;) ;)
[/quote]

I've agreed to go with the flow, if it happens I'll give it my best :)

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1481579388' post='3193498']
I thought it looked familiar! There isn't much room in there at all. I can see why you are a bit concerned. Why can't you have the function room?
[/quote]

That could happen yet if we know we have enough of our own coming but the idea is to keep the diners in rather than them walk into town. It's technically quite a big venue isn't it, daft to try and fit in that bit. We were on the right as you go in last time, set up in a row ratger than drums behind which was ok and the drummer shares some lead vocal songs anyway.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1481612910' post='3193636']
Bear it, but for the full agreed fee.
If the LL really can't see why he should pay you in full, ask him if he'd also be happy to reduce the price of drinks to your followers by a quarter :)
[/quote]
That's not a bad idea, the playing is the easy bit of what we are being paid for anyway, still takes as long to set up and pack away!

When I went for the money on Saturday it was £50 short! I reminded them about the rate and they paid up without a complaint. Was it a mistake or attempted robbery? Dunno but I'd do this gig if the money was as originally agreed.

Last Christmas we were shoe-horned into a stupidly small space which was mostly taken up by the very large Christmas tree, so we set up across the walkway and cut off access via the short cut from the front door to the bar. Everyone had to go around the long way. What could we do?

As I've said before. most of the people running pubs aren't even that good at their day job, running pubs, and they are almost all crap at being promoters. Insist on the right money and make your own space.

Message received this morning.

Dear guys.😏Having assessed the playing area I've very reluctantly decided that we cannot fit into the Bowling Green Saturday. However!!-The pub is having a big renovation in February & there will be a designated band area.
The manager wants us as the houseband for all next year.
We've been promised the first gig for Easter and probably most bank holidays after then.😊