Why become a member? ×

New CITES regulations cover ALL rosewood & some Bubinga.

RhysP

[color=#515251]"For example, a seller in Nashville looking to ship her 2013 Martin 000-28 with East Indian rosewood back and sides to a buyer in Canada must apply for a re-export certificate, pay the application fee, receive the certificate, and include that document with the guitar when shipping."[/color]

[color=#515251] [/color][color=#515251] :o[/color]
[color=#515251]!!![/color]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1481560142' post='3193290']
All Rosewood?

That's about 90% of the basses that have ever been made!

Travelling bass players had better have maple or graphite fretboard basses just for touring.
[/quote]

Yep - all rosewood, age doesn't matter. Requires a certificate to ship across international borders.

Touring musicians with personal instruments may be exempt. Could depend on just how many basses someone might have. Certainly a single bass per person ought to be ok.

Most news reports so far are from a US perspective and, from what I've seen, it's unclear how 'Europe' will be treated. It's possible that moving across the EU may be OK.

Obviously, post Brexit we'll be outside the EU so would have to get certs to sell or import to EU markets.

Last time I had to apply for a CITES cert from US it cost $100 plus maybe $25 for admin. UK VAT and duties then get added on top so that could be £125 on the cost of a bass. . .

TimberTones have just announced that they are withdrawing all their rosewood picks from sale from 02 Jan. I might just pounce on this:

http://timber-tones.co.uk/rosewood-guitar-pick-collection-424-p.asp

I've just bought a 1995 Gibson Les Paul Special with a rosewood fingerboard, and it came with the warning that a CITES export license would be needed - luckily I have no interest in exporting it :) :)