Why become a member? ×

NBD Yamaha BB604

bassbiscuits

I got this from Andyjr1515 on Basschat over the weekend and it's fair to say it's stunning.

I was after a lightweight, versatile bass for gigs where I'm not taking my Lull or old precision bass, but in reality i've ended up with much, much more.

I'm not over egging it to say this is a really great bass. The build quality, balance, weight (3.8kg) and playability on it are exceptionally good, at any price bracket.

The fretwork is perfect, with no buzzing or choking, and a lovely close-grained slab of rosewood for the fingerboard. The bridge is a chunky, high-mass, sturdy looking affair, and the gold hardware looks classy against the wine red gloss finish.

It has the Nathan East-esque active pre-amp, which in addition to master volume, pickup blend, bass boost/cut and treble boost/cut, also has a 'mid sweep' dial which takes you through a whole range of different sounds from 'light to dark' (Yamaha's wording, not mine!) and a switch to punch the whole mid sweep thing in or out.

Adds up to a very versatile sounding bass, which is very comfortable to play, and which you really wouldn't question at two or three times the price.

I think these were only about £300-£400 new when they came out, back in the early 2000s, which is baffling given the level of quality. Any sniffiness about the quality of a Made in Taiwan model is duly dismissed.

It's strung up with D'addario Chrome flat wounds, which give it a real smooth ballsy thump. I had the house to myself for a few hours so cranked it up - a joyous way to spend a Sunday!

I'm not very familiar with Yamaha's various models/ranges by any means, but top marks for this bass.

I can't wait to gig it this weekend. I'd envisioned getting a spare bass to take to occasional gigs, but this is really one I'd happily take to any gig.

Edited by bassbiscuits

• 4 years later...