Why become a member? ×

Guitar hangers - any problems?

Woodinblack

So this morning when I went into my music room, I found my G&L L2500 Tribute laying across the floor next to this:

[IMG]http://www.alienrat.co.uk/photobucket/ef784bc1-f1df-4dc4-916e-321efdc6802c_zpspjegwpf6.jpg[/IMG]

Doesn't appear to be too much damage to the bass, just maybe a few more scratches but very worrying as all my decent basses hang from the wall on these.

[IMG]http://www.alienrat.co.uk/photobucket/IMG_3582_zpsgnxccref.jpg[/IMG]

Anyone had this happen to them, getting a bit concerned that i need to find a different solution for access to the basses

Edited by Woodinblack

The rawl plugs are the old type that aren't the best. There are far better ones available. If the wall is solid and you want to 100% sure than either expanding rawl bolts or chemical anchor is the best solution. If it's a stud wall then 'butterfly' type expanding fixings would be better.

Judging from the picture only, and I hope I see it wrongly, your screws are [i][b]far too short[/b][/i] to even let the rawl plugs start to begin do their job, and that's even before talking about these exact rawl plugs and the capacities of the wall.
You need screws twice the length. That's how the system is supposed to work.
I'd say: if all your screws are this short, and the wall material the same, then remove the basses immediately.

In a wall that fits these old-type plugs, these [i][b]will[/b][/i] do a good enough job, BTW.

Edited by BassTractor

I've had a hanger come away from the wall & damage a bass (and the guitar it landed on) due to a problem with the brickwork I was unaware of. I used much longer screws & better plugs than the ones supplied with the hanger too (a Hercules one).
I wouldn't use wall hangers again, there's just no way of knowing how securely they are attached to the wall.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1481454392' post='3192338']
Those are the screws and rawl plugs that came with this hanger (a Hercules one).
[/quote]

Aye. That's a classic!
A classic corner-cutting money-saving scheme, or a classic having-no-clue-whatsoever. In really many cases, the supplied stuff is only a sales booster, as you get the impression you buy something complete, and this here is a great example of it:

In this type of rawl plug, any resistance gained from (on the picture) the upper part, is a freebie, and not [b][i]really[/i][/b] part of the system (though admittedly many objects do hang safely for decades on that "upper" part). This resistance is a product of the width of the hole and the materials that are in play.

The real system on the other hand is much less critical of materials and widths, and starts where the plug is split into three loose ends. IOW exactly where your screws seem to stop (if the pic doesn't lie).

Edited by BassTractor

OK, I have just looked at the screws again and you are right on the screws, I have no idea why I used those, they are so short. They really only go to the split in the plugs. Amazing it held for 10 years, especially as the G&L is the heaviest bass I have (that is on a hanger).

Maybe it is the G&Ls way of reminding me that I was going to move it on :D

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1481455474' post='3192352']
To be honest, whatever product I buy with supplied screws and plugs, I bin them and use good quality items as the ones supplied by the manufacturers are usually guff. Glad to hear the bass is mostly ok as that could have been an expensive one.
[/quote]

Plus the one on both points.

Bin them and get some Fischer plugs - they piss on anything else I've used. Piss on them and laugh whilst they do it.

i put mine up on a length of wood that was rawl plugged to the wall and longer screws into the wooden battens behind the plaster board. That way it evenly spaced out the load along the length of the wall.
I didn't think the rawl plugs alone would take the weight of a decent bass or my 6 stringers.

[attachment=233748:The Bass Room 004.JPG]

Dave

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1481454270' post='3192335']
Its an ex post-war council house and the walls are made of [s]cheese [/s] some kind of grey powder which is very easy to drill through. Probably why its not so solid.
To be fair, that is the oldest one of those I put there and has been there for nigh on 10 years now.
[/quote]
Sounds like you have drilled through the render only. Make sure you drill into the brick/block next time and that the plugs are pushed into this.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1481460425' post='3192401']
dont' think I could get away with that in the living room. As it is there is a strict rule against sunburst or other 'ugly guitars'

- they are regulated to the hangers upstairs.
[/quote]

Ouch !!!! there go my feelings straight of a dodgy wall hanger :lol: :P :lol:
Its the spare room or better known as the bass cave. Can't beat some nice bursts. :rolleyes:
You are lucky. All of my basses are relegated to the spare room. Never in living room. Apart from wife having a fit the cats would make a scratchy out of them :D

Dave

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1481460642' post='3192405']
Sounds like you have drilled through the render only. Make sure you drill into the brick/block next time and that the plugs are pushed into this.
[/quote]

For a brief moment, as it's Christmas, I thought this said "drilled through the reindeer".

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1481460929' post='3192407']
The grey powder is probably the inner block, it's very easy to drill and doesn't hold well at the best of time.
[/quote]

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1481460642' post='3192405']
[/quote]
[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1481461527' post='3192414']
If it's post war council it may be just ash.
[/quote]

Yes, I think it is just ash, this was originally concrete / steel construction which has since been brick skinned but the inner walls are basically powder. I will be sure to use much bigger screws next time, I don't see any way of getting rid of hangers at the moment