Why become a member? ×

Best 5 string bass you've ever owned and why?

Al Krow

I like every 5 string I own for slightly different reasons but they all sound great and have their individual strengths and weaknesses.

The Spector is very growly but the pickups need to be swapped out with some that have a slightly more vintage sounding high end and it has a slight s curve in the neck which is being sorted out at the moment.

The Status is a fantastic bass, huge keyboard like presence in the mix and the string spacing is perfect. I wish it had more flexible eq for the mids and lows though.

The Pedulla is one of the best fretlesses on the market (on a par with Wal and Godin) but again I wish it had more flexible eq for the mids and lows.

Finally the bass I built is the best sounding of all four, very articulate in the mids and lows, nice clean highs and very versatile. But I would like to tweak the outline of the body shape a little bit for neck clearance and balance.

Oh now, let me see...

In rough chronological order I've owned:
Aria MAB20/5 (Still own)
MM 'Ray 5
Lakland 55-01 NTMB
Fender Roscoe Beck V
MM Bongo 5HH
Dingwall AB1
Lakland 55-02 Dlx
Lakland 55-64
ACG Recurve Graft 5
Sire V7 Alder/Rosewood
ACG Recurve Custom 5 (Still own)
Yamaha 425X (Still own)

Of them all I'd probably rank my current ACG at the top, but it's tough to say what I'd call a close second...

Various other musings: Scale length means very little. I wouldn't own a MM again. Ever. Lakland necks are awesome. Dingwalls are easier to play than they look and sound good, but I don't like the pickup switching. Best bang for buck is a tie between the Sire and the recently acquired Yamaha. Both amazingly good value. I think the Yamaha just edges it, but if we were talking 4 strings I'd probably give it to the Sire.

Next I'd like to check out:
Spector Euro 5LX or Forte 5
Dingwall P5

Oh now, let me see...

In rough chronological order I've owned:
Aria MAB20/5 (Still own)
MM 'Ray 5
Lakland 55-01 NTMB
Fender Roscoe Beck V
MM Bongo 5HH
Dingwall AB1
Lakland 55-02 Dlx
Lakland 55-64
ACG Recurve Graft 5
Sire V7 Alder/Rosewood
ACG Recurve Custom 5 (Still own)
Yamaha 425X (Still own)

Of them all I'd probably rank my current ACG at the top, but it's tough to say what I'd call a close second...

Various other musings: Scale length means very little. I wouldn't own a MM again. Ever. Lakland necks are awesome. Dingwalls are easier to play than they look and sound good, but I don't like the pickup switching. Best bang for buck is a tie between the Sire and the recently acquired Yamaha. Both amazingly good value. I think the Yamaha just edges it, but if we were talking 4 strings I'd probably give it to the Sire.

Next I'd like to check out:
Spector Euro 5LX or Forte 5
Dingwall P5

What did you think of the 55-64 ? Edited by Dad3353

What did you think of the 55-64 ?

I liked it. Awesome Lakland neck. I owned it at the same time as the 55-02 which slightly edged the 64 in playability, but the 64 sounded fab. The only issue I had was it was heavy at 11 3/4 lbs. You don't see many of them around. Edited by Dad3353

I liked it. Awesome Lakland neck. I owned it at the same time as the 55-02 which slightly edged the 64 in playability, but the 64 sounded fab. The only issue I had was it was heavy at 11 3/4 lbs. You don't see many of them around.

I've always thought of it as a 35" SR with decent string spacing.. Was that your experience as well? Edited by Dad3353

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys (and, of course, any gals too!) some fantastic replies! Thank you. I'll try to make some time very soon to digest ALL the comments kindly provided and perhaps summarise BC's collective wisdom on this for folk's wider benefit.

In the meantime, any further thoughts on your fav 5 string (or any models you would advise others to steer clear of) would be very welcome!

The best 5string i have play is ny vig cobra select 5.
I have also try rockbass vampire and wareick corvette $$.
Why is the vig better than yhe corvette? Because it cost me 350€ new and there is no reason for any upgrade in this bass.Its very nice,lightweight,good quality,easy to play and greare tone,while the corvette was heavy,better quality, but costed 10 times more..

Dingwalls are easier to play than they look and sound good, but I don't like the pickup switching.

They can be rewired easily if required. My Super J5 has an East J-Retro Deluxe with a blend control. It does mean I don't have pickups-in-series as an option, but I don't miss it.

Edited by Dad3353

I've owned a few 5s, off the top of my head: an Aria, Lakland 5502, Lakland Darryl Jones and a Callowhill MPB. The latter is the best bass I've owned and also happens to be a 5 string. It's short scale - the B is killer btw - so it's super comfy to play, it's really light (everyone always comments when they pick it up) and I love the sound, kind of P-bass-like (it only has a P pickup) but maybe less 'grunt'.

I'm not going to give a model recommendation mainly because there are a lot of good 5 strings out there for very reasonable money and I have about three favourites including one I built. My first 5 string was a Status Groove 5. Great bass but the offset body shape wasn't supportive where I needed it. After that I jumped to a Modulus Quantum, then A Smith BSR5GN and then onto a Spector.

Whatever your preference, play one before you buy it and make sure the B string has the same attack as the other strings. I think the key to a good 5 string is a rigid neck so avoid anything with a one piece neck if you can. That doesn't mean all one piece necks are rubbish but the chances of getting a rubbish one are definitely higher for those on a limited budget, especially with dead spots and wonky fingerboards.

Yamaha are pretty reliable if you avoid the cheapest models and you might like to consider Status or one of those Overwater by Tanglewood models too. Korean made Tobias Toby Pro basses are fantastic value second hand and only an electronics upgrade from a pro spec instrument.

Edited by Dad3353

Haven't been though the thread, and have only ever owned a few 5 strings, but I'd say that in the value for money stakes, the best I had was a USA Musicman SUB 5. The B string on that thing was just amazing. No noticeable difference in amplified tone from the EADG strings. And that is the key for me when dealing with 5 string Basses.

I have 2 yamahas. A BBNE2 and a BB2005. Both play the same and feel great. The main difference is the BBNE2 is made in Japan and the BB2005 is made in Taiwan. My BB2005 is for sale if you're interested. Great bottom end. I also have a Status Kingbass 5 which has a shorter scale neck and slightly smaller string spacing so is real easy to play.

Edited by alexgrout_

I've had a fair chunk of 5 string basses. My first was a Peavey Grind, which to be honest, for the money was an absolutely superb bass! I had a short stint with a bastardised 6 with a Jim Cairnes neck and what was apparently an Overwater body, with an Easy pre fitted, but back to 5s.

Had a German Corvette standard, which was okay and sort of what you'd expect for the price point, which was eventually traded for a USA G&L L2500. I do miss that bass and would have it back in a shot, though I struggled to get on with the controls - I prefer to blend pickups, not switch them! In hindsight, something could have perhaps been done on the electronics front!

I had another Warwick, it was a Streamer Bolt On 5 (just before the LX came out), it was a blue oil finish, gold hardware and it was absolutely lovely. Again, that ended up being sold not long after my 2013 Streamer Stage 1 in Greyburst came along. That was a special bass, but it was just far too heavy!

Sold that back in summer 2015 and it moved over to the States, and my main hack is another Warwick, but an Infinity NT5, with a gloss finish done by the one and only Brian Eastwood. It's superb and I love it, but I'm a bit of a short arse at 5'6, and it doesn't fit me that well - first fret is just that little bit too far away. So I've got a 5 string Fender Jazz Deluxe coming on loan tomorrow to see how I can live with it in rehearsals, sessions, gigs etc etc before I bite the bullet and get a Jazz Elite V. That's high up on the shopping list!

Backup 5, I've also got a lovely Corvette FNA Jazzman 5, which I restored a year ago. Again, a truly wonderful bass, but it ain't really getting played much, and it's a bit weird how my backup is more premium than some people's main workhorses! So I reckon a big rejig of the tools is in order!

Hey Goblin - that is quite timely to find yet another Warwick enthusiast! I just came across the Warwick Rockbass StarBass 5 string. Semi hollow, so I'm guessing a bit lighter in weight with decent sustain and likely to have a authentic 50s / 60s sound with its MEC pickups. It looks gorgeous in Vintage Sunburst! Mid range in terms of pricing.

Was wondering whether you or any other BCs have come across this model and have any positive (or negative) feedback on it?

I had a Roscoe Beck V that had the best B string I have ever heard. It was fantastic.

The Ken Smith BMT Elite was very playable and my main bass for a few years. Tone and sustain was unreal on that bass.

My current Franz Sirius fretless is the best bass I have ever owned though. Beautifully made, neck shape is just sublime, sounds wonderful.

Hey Goblin - that is quite timely to find yet another Warwick enthusiast! I just came across the Warwick Rockbass StarBass 5 string. Semi hollow, so I'm guessing a bit lighter in weight with decent sustain and likely to have a authentic 50s / 60s sound with its MEC pickups. It looks gorgeous in Vintage Sunburst! Mid range in terms of pricing.

Was wondering whether you or any other BCs have come across this model and have any positive (or negative) feedback on it?

IIRC the original production run of the Rockbass version of the StarBass 5-string doesn't have the arched top and back of the full Warwick version. If that is important to you check which version it is before you buy. Edited by Dad3353

I've had a fair chunk of 5 string basses. My first was a Peavey Grind, which to be honest, for the money was an absolutely superb bass!

+1...used to leap into my lap. Looked weird, played nice. and the Squier VM bass 5, but with Kiogon loom to replace the pedestrian original Edited by Dad3353

I've owned the following 5 string basses in my time ( though there may be a few others I've forgotten):

Tobias Classic 5
Musicman V
Wal Custom 5
MTD Kingston Heir
Fender Roscoe Beck V (had 4 of those)
Lakeland DJ5
USA Fender Jazz 5 Standard
Schecter Diamond P Custom 5
Andre Van der end JB
KSD Proto J 5
Yamaha 1005
Yamaha TRB5

All of the were/are great in their own way..

More specifically, the Roscoe Beck's were the most versatile tonally, the most comfortable neck was the DJ5, and the Tobias was the most funky sounding Bizzarely, the Wal was the one I liked least.

Of them all, the best value was/is the Schecter which is astonishingly good for the money.

And the Andre Van der end JB5 is by far and away the most versatile and enjoyable to play.

There's many others I'd like to try and own; Pedulla, Celinder, Alembic for starters, but they'll have to wait until my next lifetime! 😊

My favourite fives are my two Sei headlesses (one fretless Original, one fretted Flamboyant), and my Antoniotsai.

I do recommend headless for fives, even more so than fours, as you get rid of a lorra lorra weight and those hideous headstocks.

Oh yes, reasons. Playability. It took me quite a few goes to find a five that I was anything like as comfortable with as my Warwick Thumb 4 - a JD NT which has a very slim and shallow neck profile.

Edited by tauzero

I have two incredible 5 strings at the moment. The Alpher has some of the fines woodworking I have ever seen on an instrument, incredible woods and the Nordstrand/Dingwall electronics package is something else. Very flexible and can nail pretty much any sound. Very deep sounding bass too, which I attribute to the heavier tone woods.

The Dingwall is the best playing bass I have ever played, no contest. Ultra low action, plays like a dream and the sound is incredibly aggressive with the Darkglass preamp, perfect for use in my current band. Sure, it doesn't have the finesse of the Alpher, but its just so much fun to play and the sound is brutal with a bit of distortion. I think the small frets play a huge part in the playability too.

Yeah I'm gonna have to agree that the Lakland's are nice. I was gigging a JO5 for a few years (it's heavy but not unbearable) but then managed to get a fantastic deal on a Dingwall PZ5 and it is the bomb. I prefer the feel of the Dingwall over the 4 string Fender but use both equally.

I'm in a couple of bands so I'll use the Fender for the pub covers band and the PZ5 for the choir stuff I do. In reality the 5 string covers both but it's nice to have the option. As is the rule the P bass has flats and the 5'er skips between rounds and flats as is my whim!