Why become a member? ×

Epiphone EB3 spare wire

T-Bay

My epiphone eb3 works in both pick ups and has no problems but when I took the cover off to tighten up the jack socket I noticed there was a single black wire coming from a hole on its own that is not attached to anything. Each pickup feeds a pot and comes through a hole each. This is through a separate hole and the end of the wire is slightly bared so suggests it has been connected at some time. The only obvious place it can reach is to Earth on one of the pots but if I do that it just causes noise.

I don't fancy stripping it all out when it works fine but would like to know what it is. Does anyone have any ideas?

Being a single black wire and only being long enough to reach the one pot, I thought the same. There is a small mark on the foil of the rear cover that is in range of the wire but I can't think of any reason anything would be connected to that. As it all works ok it has me a bit stumped.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1481357447' post='3191679']
Being a single black wire and only being long enough to reach the one pot, I thought the same. There is a small mark on the foil of the rear cover that is in range of the wire but I can't think of any reason anything would be connected to that. As it all works ok it has me a bit stumped.
[/quote]
Almost certainly it is the bridge grounding wire. The foil is usually/should be grounded by the contact with the pot washers to act as a buzz-bucking electrical cage and so can be used as a grounding point also for the other earth wires. I suspect therefore that that's where it's come from. Best to solder it back on if you can (there or to the back of the nearest pot)

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1481385170' post='3191947']
Thanks, the rear cover isn't attached to anything other than the body, it's not like a front cover type where the foil acts as an Earth for the pots but it is covered in foil so there must be some reason to do it. Nothing else is connected to it.
[/quote]
Sorry - when you talked about foil, I assumed it was lining the chamber. Just solder the loose cable to the back of the nearest pot, then :)

If I Earth it to a pot I get severe noise. I think I need to drop off the minihumbucker and see what is going on. It all works fine so I can't see what is happening really, the volume, tone and pickup selector all work fine. But the wire is so short it could only reach the back plate or the one pot which is why I am a bit baffled.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1481450339' post='3192301']
One things for sure - it's not 10% of the quality of the one you made!
[/quote]

Sounds a bit odd. Does it make that noise when it's actually soldered or when it's just held against the pot? If it's the latter, then try soldering it and see if it is then OK. If it is noisy when soldered, then I'm as bemused as you are...

Edited by Andyjr1515

I used some electrical contact cleaner and held it on, then tried a small amount of some conductive paste I have which is normally as good as soldering for testing but I think you are right and I will try soldering it and see. What is puzzling me so much is that it comes through its own hole and it's hard to see evidence of where it could have been and everything works beautifully as is. Perhaps it's just a spare wire that hasn't been capped off. The quality of the wiring in general shows they are built to a price but I love the sound so shouldn't complain. Most people would just ignore it I guess but I like my kit to be spot on.