Why become a member? ×

Squier Classic Vibe 60s Precision

Gottastopbuyinggear

5 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I know the CVs are top of the line Squiers, but over 400 squids doesn't sound like a bargain to me, another 100 and you could get a Fender standard!

Indeed you could if the logo was worth a few hundred quid to you. Probably also good when you want to sell it for people who want that.

I picked a CV P bass over a Mexican P bass as it was the better bass, but then the logo doesn't mean that much to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zummerbass said:

And it looks like it's gone again! Just as well-I can't justify a third CV. Can I?

I think they have ''open box" in stock too

Edit:  It`s gone already xD https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Squier-by-Fender-Classic-Vibe-60s-P-Bass-Guitar-Olympic-White-Box-Opened/1RIM

5 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I know the CVs are top of the line Squiers, but over 400 squids doesn't sound like a bargain to me, another 100 and you could get a Fender standard!

Haha, did You ever compare them not watching pictures? Did You know i.e. Mexican Fenders have PLASTIC inserts where truss rod nut goes - CVs have rosewood insert and... Way better fretwork. How do I know??? Ive had MIM and USA Fenders, usual subject  of "logo ind headstock matters"

One of my favorite demos, can`t stop listening to the sound of this bass, Andreas is great musician:

Edited by zvirus

54 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I've always found the wood a bit soft in Squiers, things come loose easier than they do with Fenders.

Dense Basswood is not soft as You would think. Had Mexican Fender (Alder?) and guess what - while tightening neck plate I have managed bend the corners of the plate because.... yes, body was soft as wool..

11 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Indeed you could if the logo was worth a few hundred quid to you. Probably also good when you want to sell it for people who want that.

I picked a CV P bass over a Mexican P bass as it was the better bass, but then the logo doesn't mean that much to me.

Looks like You are not alone, grew up from buying "logos"on headstock :hi:

I didn't post based on pictures or stuff I'd read on line, I've owned a few Squiers, including CV Precisions, and in my experience, the MiM Fenders are simply better, nothing to to do with the label on the headstock. I am also of the opinion that US Standard Precisions are a good step up from the MiM standards. I have owned, played, and gigged several of each and base my opinion on my own experience.

Edited by FinnDave

1 minute ago, FinnDave said:

I didn't post based on pictures or stuff I'd read on line, I've owned a few Squiers, including CV Precisions, and in my experience, the MiM Fenders are simply better, nothing to to do with the label on the headstock. I am also of the opinion that US Standard Precisions are a good step up from the MiM standards. I have owned, played, and gigged several of each and base my opinion on my own experience.

My apologies then... we all have different taste, needs, look ect.

To me CV are better basses. Ones had USA Standard Jazz from 2010. Most of the frets were covered in Varnish and as a bonus some got green polishing paste under the varnish(Really regret never took a photo) - On CVs I love small frets and the fretwork is ALWAYS spot on. Basswood, yes, crap wood - not for me. Many good Japanese Fenders are having basswood body. Cheap pots? Yes - are they really change Your tone? Come on...

On my Matt Freeman bass can go low as 2.00mm over 12th fret E string (La Bella Flats) without a buzz -  Never could go as low with MIM or USA bass...

Happy New Year!

I had one of the sky blue CV Precisions a few years ago, and for the money, it was a good bass, but whenever I checked the neck plate screws, bridge screws, tuner screws...they'd always need a tweak to tighten them up. I currently have 4 US Standard Precisions and the truth is that none of them have ever required anything tightening. I have a Classic 50s Precison (MiM) as well, and so far it has been as solid and reliable as my US Standards, but in all fairness, I have only had it 2 or 3 months.

I did enjoy playing my CV Precision, but it dented very easily and I just felt that the timber used wasn't very hard, certainly my US Precisions have survived far harder knocks without a blemish. It did sound great with decent flats on it though.

As a gigging bassist, the ability of a bass to stay in tune and shrug off a few knocks is important to me.

Oh, and a Happy New Year to you too, I am glad that we can still express a difference of opinion here without it becoming personal.

• Like 1

I tried the US precision at the same time as the MiM and the CV, the US was better than both of them in that it had better frets (seemed heavier too, but not in a negative way). It didn't really sound any better, but that could be strings or the amp (although it was a fender amp). But the US fender was £1400, the MiM £620 and the CV just under £400. The CV was easily better than the MiM, the US was better than the CV, but not 'I could justify paying 3.5 times the price' better. The MiM was poor value compared to the CV.

The tuners on the CV could be better, but I haven't replaced them and don't have any tuning issues. The don't feel great though, so if I did have to tune it a lot I probably would want something better.

This is what I found in the shop the day I bought it, obviously all basses are not equal and maybe there are better MiMs around (or worse CVs and USs!)

i had a CV strat which was nice great feel and sound but i agree about the bodywood it felt a bit lightweight

i also have a 1987 japanese squier strat which to me just feels a bit more solid for my liking so i sold the CV strat

no complaints for what i paid for it was very good fit and finish

6 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

The tuners on the CV could be better, but I haven't replaced them and don't have any tuning issues. The don't feel great though, so if I did have to tune it a lot I probably would want something better.

I have to say my tuners keep tuning hanging on the wall for days or practising for long time, to me it will be waste of money buying fancy tuners :) as I`d say they are no worse than tuners from Mexican Fenders..

The irony with the tuners is that they are not as good as the tuners on the G&L. If I was gigging the Squier (I don't any more as I play 5 strings), I wouldn't even think about needing to tune it before, the G&L I tune every time. The G&L doesn't drop its tune but the tuners are so smooth that they get moved in the gig bag, whereas the Squier ones wouldn't move!

2 hours ago, zvirus said:

My apologies then... we all have different taste, needs, look ect.

To me CV are better basses. Ones had USA Standard Jazz from 2010. Most of the frets were covered in Varnish and as a bonus some got green polishing paste under the varnish(Really regret never took a photo) - On CVs I love small frets and the fretwork is ALWAYS spot on. Basswood, yes, crap wood - not for me. Many good Japanese Fenders are having basswood body. Cheap pots? Yes - are they really change Your tone? Come on...

On my Matt Freeman bass can go low as 2.00mm over 12th fret E string (La Bella Flats) without a buzz -  Never could go as low with MIM or USA bass...

Happy New Year!

I'm a fan of the CV series too... but I'm not sure that judging instruments based on their individual setup is a useful thing to do. That Matt Freeman (got one too :)) clearly has great frets, all levelled nice. A Fender MIM or USA can be made to have the same levelled smooth frets with relatively little effort. It's part of the set up, and to me that's not what makes an instrument inherently better or worse (although some think so, and that has allowed me to buy some great basses at great prices in the past ;))

11 hours ago, mcnach said:

I'm a fan of the CV series too... but I'm not sure that judging instruments based on their individual setup is a useful thing to do. That Matt Freeman (got one too :)) clearly has great frets, all levelled nice. A Fender MIM or USA can be made to have the same levelled smooth frets with relatively little effort. It's part of the set up, and to me that's not what makes an instrument inherently better or worse (although some think so, and that has allowed me to buy some great basses at great prices in the past ;))

I have said all of that because somebody :) has complained 400 quid for CV  is too much.... well to me 1200 for Fender USA standard Jazz is simple robbery... 550 for Mexican Bass - still too much if we talk about overall quality...

As always, we all having different taste and ways of spending money. One day maybe will buy Fender`s bass but definitely 2nd hand, lightweight  with decent fretwork - IF find one and could play it (so buying here wont work)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I've been searching everywhere for the Squier classic vibe 60s precision bass in fiesta red, but can't seem to get my grubby hands on one. Richtone music UK keep advertising them online 'after' they're Sold Out!

Does anyone know how to get a handle on how Richtone music operates? Is there a way to get to the second hand basses before they become sold out?

Thanks,

Thomas. Belfast.

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 13:55, thegummy said:

Are they better?

Post 2012 models I`d say yes the MIMs are def better, but before that it was for me dependent on the individual instrument itself rather than generalisation. Some were great, others not so.

5 hours ago, deve53 said:

Hi,

I've been searching everywhere for the Squier classic vibe 60s precision bass in fiesta red, but can't seem to get my grubby hands on one. Richtone music UK keep advertising them online 'after' they're Sold Out!

Does anyone know how to get a handle on how Richtone music operates? Is there a way to get to the second hand basses before they become sold out?

Thanks,

Thomas. Belfast.

Hey Thomas. Richtone is bad for that, lots of the new basses they show are "special order" which basically means they aint got them! Try putting a wanted advert on the Marketplace on here, they sometimes come up for sale.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bigwan said:

I've recently got my mitts on a CV P in fiesta red. It's spectacularly good despite parcelfarce trying to destroy it en route! Well worth holding out for. A wanted ad here is the way to go. 

Yep I agree with Bigwan totally, I waited it out got super lucky when one showed up 20 miles down the road from me.  It was mint and I had to pay what I considered to be top whack for it, but it's a lovely Bass.

CVbod.thumb.jpg.27ae452d42c22cde63d778eab54c360f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I wasn't sure where the best place to post this, so here goes - there's a 'new' CV 60's P for sale in a music store local to me in Tallinn, Estonia:
https://stanfordmusic.com/en/products/guitars/bass-guitars/fender-squier-classic-vibe-p-bass-60s-owt-bwb-detail

I've seen it on the floor on a stand, but haven't played it. The people at Stanford speak / write English, and claim to ship internationally. Might be worth a punt. If someone is dead set on having it they might want to see if they can put it on hold and then I can go along and check it out; for all I know there's a good reason it hasn't been sold after (presumably) some years, but the market here is quite small and a bit weird in terms of what sells and what doesn't.