Why become a member? ×

Squier Classic Vibe 60s Precision

Gottastopbuyinggear

While I was idly cruising the internet looking for stuff that I don't need but might want, as one does, I came across this:

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Squier-by-Fender-Classic-Vibe-60s-P-Bass-Guitar-Olympic-White/1OB8?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=78164d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=119007674959&gclid=CjwKEAiAyanCBRDkiO6M_rDroH0SJAAfZ4KLxHx2cMDJQQLsOnkyz5ug4cWrZtgY4zPhVgFu7cRC7BoCd4Dw_wcB"]http://www.gear4musi...cRC7BoCd4Dw_wcB[/url]

They don't seem to be listed anywhere else, and they don't appear on the Fender website (another topic perhaps, but what on earth has happened to that recently?).

Anyone got any idea about these? I know the previous classic vibe Precisions had a really good reputation, and I'm considering buying a second P in the next few months - because I absolutely have to have one with flats and one with rounds...

There used to be a CV 60s P that looked like the Pino Palladino bass; Fiesta Red with tort pickguard.

I wonder if this is a new model that's coming out next month since the delivery time is the end of January?

Interestingly, they have one with 16 quid off because the box has already been opened for quality inspection and this one is available immediately. Maybe you could be the first person to get one!

I have a Classic Vibe, in Fiesta Red - it's awesome! They also did them in LPBlue.
But I thought they had been discontinued for some time now....
Not sure whether there was a white one released at the same time as the Red & Blue CV P's?
Perhaps this is a new release? - Or is it that they had a bunch of necks left over, and have put them on a Matt Freeman body?
Certainly haven't seen them advertised anywhere else...

BTW. The Matt Freeman P's are made in the same factory as those Classic Vibes, and owners really rate them
If you get chance to get a good second-hand CV P bass (or a Matt Freeman) - I'd recommend grabbing it while you can. There was a blue one on here recently.

I had my CV P bass made into a P/J and I love it! It's the 2nd one I've owned - I sold the 1st one, as I thought I had too many basses.... It was instant regret - so I went out & bought another one :) Dave Dearnaley, the brilliant Cardiff based luthier did the very professional P/J conversion for me, and he reckons the Classic Vibe series are superb quality - so good, he rates them as tomorrow's JV guitars & basses. I really do have too many basses now, but I just can't bring myself to sell the CV

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1481291795' post='3191281']
If it's another run of the CV '60s P with all the same specs, that'd be great news - part of me still regrets not pulling the trigger on one of the original line (though admittedly I was partly put off by the colour). Though is it just me or has the price been cranked up a fair bit?
[/quote]

Seems to be quite pricey.

That's the sad thing that happens when a bargain product gets rave reviews online, they hike the price.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1481291795' post='3191281']
If it's another run of the CV '60s P with all the same specs, that'd be great news - part of me still regrets not pulling the trigger on one of the original line (though admittedly I was partly put off by the colour). Though is it just me or has the price been cranked up a fair bit?
[/quote]

Yes, it is great news, if they're going to do another run of the CV's.
and yes, I think the price has gone up a bit...... But honestly, I've played basses rated at way over the value of my CV that haven't been half as good. In fact, I owned a US Precision at the same time as my first CV, and there really wasn't much in it! The US P was lighter in weight, and just had the edge (slightly) re the output from the pickup - only just. It certainly wasn't 3 or 4 times as good as the Classic Vibe...
EDIT: Somewhere on youtube is a series of tests, where they blindfolded the players, and asked them to compare US v Custom Shop v Classic Vibe - and the CV's either won, or compared favourably with the US models. These blindfold tests also extended to guitars, and they found similar results....

At risk of repeating myself, I really don't "need" my Squier CV - but it's just too damn good to sell
There are certain venues, where I wouldn't be so happy to take a £1K+ Fender, but the Squier is not such a risk

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1481294778' post='3191309']
...I've played basses rated at way over the value of my CV that haven't been half as good. In fact, I owned a US Precision at the same time as my first CV, and there really wasn't much in it! The US P was lighter in weight, and just had the edge (slightly) re the output from the pickup - only just. It certainly wasn't 3 or 4 times as good as the Classic Vibe...
[/quote]

You make a very good point, actually - granted it's £100-150 more than it was a few years ago, but that's still a fair bit cheaper than even your average Mexican Fender, and in my (admittedly limited) experience the Squier CVs were at least as good as those if not better.

Jeez, I bought a red CV P-bass new in December 2010 - it was around £280!

Lovely bass, should have kept it. Remember it had a very nice feel, and I actually gigged it a few weeks after buying it.

Super colour (especially with the tort) - should be available as a part of the new American Pro series!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1481304028' post='3191405']
Jeez, I bought a red CV P-bass new in December 2010 - it was around £280!

Lovely bass, should have kept it. Remember it had a very nice feel, and I actually gigged it a few weeks after buying it.

Super colour (especially with the tort) - should be available as a part of the new American Pro series!
[/quote]

I think the only way to get that colour now is the Pino. Over 13 times the price you paid for your Squier!

I owned one. Bought for 220 in mint condition and sold for 220 in mint condition. I'd have been happy to keep it but made the mistake of trying a Classic '50s from Fender... the nexk was so much nicer.
However, I also owned the '50s Strat (in Olympic White) and '60s Custom Tele. I really ought to have kept those!

Edited by Cyrene

£415 does seem a lot for a squier, but I think I'm a bit desensitised by having looked at the 70's CV a few times and that's up near the £400 mark, and MIM P's are almost £600 now. I've not owner a Squier before, but the CV and VM series get so much praise I think it might be worth a go.

To be honest I'd not noticed the fact that these weren't actually in stock, as I'm not ready to push the button yet. I think I'll sit tight for a while and see what happens towards the end of January - if it's a new line coming that gear4music have some how got early sight of then perhaps the prices will be a bit lower when there's some competition.

There's also my lust for one of the Sire V7s to factor in, and the price on those doesn't seem to be inflating as rapidly as on other stuff. Stupidly I put flats on my current Jazz as well as my P, so now I need another of those with rounds on too!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1481291146' post='3191277']
Agree re the Matt Freeman, I`ve jus picked one up and it`s a very nice bass. I`ve heard plenty being played and they`ve always sounded great to me. Was amazed at how nicely if plays though.
[/quote]
This

I am the very happy owner of the Fiesta Red P Bass.

No word of a lie, I cannot replace it with a fender. I have playing it next to Mexican and American P basses and have picked my squier everytime. Ok, its not a fair test, I am very biased towards my own instrument. The action and playability has been perfect since I have got it. The owner before me replaced the pickup with a seymour duncan I believe. I haven't been in a situation, studio or live, where the squier hasn't fitted tonally or been a displeasure to play. They are just brilliant. The pickup upgrade may be what made the difference between a "budget" squier and a Fender.

Everything I have ever owned (laptops, amps, cars, houses etc) have all at some point in their lives been opened, upgrade or renovated. I am a gear nut and a serial DIYer. The exception is my P Bass. I can't pay a higher complement than that.

[quote name='Oldboy' timestamp='1481721979' post='3194527']
I am confused, cause I just looked at he website and found this: [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Squier-by-Fender-Classic-Vibe-60s-P-Bass-Guitar-Olympic-White-Box-Opened/1RIM"]http://www.gear4musi...Box-Opened/1RIM[/url]

What looks like exactly the same thing for £399.....
[/quote]

It's because they've already opened the box as a quality check inspection. It's exactly the same bass from the same batch but you get 15 quid off because it's been opened.

[quote name='Davebassics' timestamp='1481749991' post='3194909']
I am the very happy owner of the Fiesta Red P Bass.

No word of a lie, I cannot replace it with a fender.......
......The pickup upgrade may be what made the difference between a "budget" squier and a Fender......

[/quote]

I know, I keep saying that my Squier CV P bass is just as good as some Fenders I've played, and better than many - and I'm a fan of Fenders too. I often remark at how I take my Squier CV to "certain gigs" - as it's a lot cheaper to replace than a US equivalent. However, in truth I'd be gutted if anything happened to my Squier.... so perhaps I should get another gigging bass? ;)

Re the pickups, as I've said before, there really wasn't much in it with regards to the output of my CV and my US P. In fact, at one point I very nearly bit the bullet on a Limelight Fiesta Red P which was for sale locally. The pickup in that was again nicer than the Squier - but not a massive difference. I read on here that the pickups used in the CV basses are a higher quality component than other Squiers - again, this is just hearsay, but it did sound good.

My only reason for upgrading to Entwistle pickups, was that I had my CV P made into a P/J and put an Entwistle JBXN in the bridge position. Entwistle JBXN's and PBXN's have a huge output for a passive pickup, so I installed the PBXN to give a bit more of a balanced and matched feel to the output of the 2 pickups. BTW. I am amazed at just how good Entwistles are - they're immense pickups for the money! I now have them in my Roadworn P as well. EDIT: So anyone thinking of an inexpensive pickup upgrade - I really recommend Entwistles....

Picked up my Squier CV P yesterday, for the first time in a week or so - why did I ever put it down?
I'm sure it's because my other basses are fab too :)

Edited by Marc S