Why become a member? ×

Basschat history

moooper

I might have missed the topic but I come on here like many others quite a few times a week. It's helped me buy a few things I never thought I would find. Not to mention sell things. Also I have met lots of good people through it. I have no idea how this forum got started and for how long it's been going?

Come to think of it I can't even remember how or why I found it. Spooky!!!!

I don't really know because I only got here in 2008 but here's a bit of narrative from an old thread in 2007 when BC kicked off. Seems it all started with something called BassWorld (in 2002?):

[quote][size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"BW was generally considered to be rubbish, so the mods moved in mysterious ways to establish a new, working one, BT. Shortly after announcing its existence, BW died, so we all hopped on the BT ark and lived happily ever after. Or so we thought.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"Part of the problem at BW had been the prolonged absence of its supposed overlord and owner. However, upon seeing BT flourishing said person saw that it was good, but/so threatened to take it away from us with some semi-legal proceedings or some such. This was related to ideas of original database ownership, though he was on questionable moral ground due to his total lack of input for some time.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"In the face of potential destruction, the Mods again moved in mysterious ways their forums to maintain, and announced the creation of BC, also pointing out that BT would wind down to official dismantling on the 28th. The Great People of the forum rejoiced, and promptly moved here".[/font][/color][/size][/quote]

I expect someone will be along who knows the whole story. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

Bassworld begat Basstalk begat Basschat, is how I seem to recall it.

There was some gnashing of teeth between the co-founding cyber overlords for a while (that deprived us of the bass portal we'd all become so dependent on) , but it was over matters far above the understanding of us lowly GAS suffering mortals.

I only joined Bassworld in 2006, so I'm just a latecomer to all this really.. ;)

I remember Bassworld initially thriving and then succumbing to the inattentiveness of Gerald the moderator and owner who was apparently addicted to World of Warcraft. That would have been around 2005 I guess. So I was around for a year or two before that.

I was a regular contributor for many years but fell foul of getting too immersed and personal in some of the more emotive content. Some good friends with non conformist tendencies got banned so I've been a bit of an outsider since.

Thank you Michael.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1481267392' post='3191038']
As soon as I joined Bassworld it shut down.

As soon as I joined Basstalk it shut down.

As soon as I joined Basschat it survived for over nine years (and counting).

And they all lived happily ever after.
[/quote]

That saved me typing it all out! B)

I joined up because I was trying to find someone else in the UK, who had an Odyssey Bass, like mine.
I managed to find someone and nearly a thousand posts later (small fry for a lot of you guys and gals on here), I am still here.
[url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/start-at-last.html"]http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/start-at-last.html[/url]

It is certainly one of the best around and long my it continue. :D
:)

Argggggghhhhh!! The bloody Feds!

[url="http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-basses/5170-bassworld-co-uk.html#post46505"]http://forums.ernieb....html#post46505[/url]

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/bassworld-co-uk-now-called-basstalk-co-uk.326027/

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='Downdown' timestamp='1481238428' post='3190972']
That's very generous considering you guys invented it.
[/quote]

We may have invented it, but you guys had a higher level of appreciation for it.

The English introduced me to the blues, ironic but true.

Blue