Why become a member? ×

anybody here play anything unusual, instruments that is?

Barking Spiders

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1481203153' post='3190473']
How much are they typically? I've told Mrs Knob to get me one if she's ever short of present ideas.
[/quote]

There are lots of listings on eBay selling new sousaphones made in India. They look great and are affordable ... but the intonation is almost invariably out and they're really nothing more than a display item rather than a usable instrument. Second hand sousaphones pop up occasionally, sometimes they're for very high fixed prices upwards of £800 but they don't end up selling. Then there are the few at affordable prices or auctions that sell in the £200 to £300 bracket. I missed out on one when was outbid with seconds to go :-(

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1481277328' post='3191106']
There are lots of listings on eBay selling new sousaphones made in India. They look great and are affordable ... but the intonation is almost invariably out and they're really nothing more than a display item rather than a usable instrument.
[/quote]

Good tip (to avoid that is). Free postage from India? Riiiiight.

[quote]
Second hand sousaphones pop up occasionally, sometimes they're for very high fixed prices upwards of £800 but they don't end up selling. Then there are the few at affordable prices or auctions that sell in the £200 to £300 bracket. I missed out on one when was outbid with seconds to go :-(
[/quote]

I'll keep my eye open. Ultimately I want to do this kind of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajUGESKFCs4

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1481225627' post='3190829']
I used to play Chapman Stick & Pedal Steel Guitar.
[/quote]

Had forgotten I played pedal steel extremely badly. So I sold it to the guitar player in my current band back when he was around 20 - he turned into a pretty good steelie. (grin) I didnt!

[quote name='ROConnell' timestamp='1481280203' post='3191125']
I've tried making a house track out of samples of kitchen drawers and cutlery noises, if that counts...
[/quote]
That reminds me! I started playing the spoons a couple of years ago, which is actually a lot of fun. For me anyway, not sure about people listening.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1481234325' post='3190931']

Hmm, looks interesting.
There's a couple on EBay... :)
[/quote]

Not cheap.

Fortunately I got mine off the same source but the operation was not guaranteed so I took the punt on it and it turned out alright. Needed to be run off the AC.

it's a really nice instrument to jam on.

There are lots of listings on eBay selling new sousaphones made in India. They look great and are affordable ... but the intonation is almost invariably out and they're really nothing more than a display item rather than a usable instrument. Second hand sousaphones pop up occasionally, sometimes they're for very high fixed prices upwards of £800 but they don't end up selling. Then there are the few at affordable prices or auctions that sell in the £200 to £300 bracket. I missed out on one when was outbid with seconds to go :-(
[/quote]
[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1481279495' post='3191116']
Good tip (to avoid that is). Free postage from India? Riiiiight.
[/quote]

There does seem to be a new trend to offer an even-lower-cost budget instrument such as brass instruments etc from India, which are basically copies of a well-established instrument design but done on a (very small corner-cutting) budget. Which is a shame in a way, but I guess it offers the chance for those who simply couldn't afford anything else, the chance. There's faults which become apparent pretty soon into playing/learning to play, which are probably going to be issues and don't encourage.

Sousaphone is a bit of an american trend, it would be more sensible to probably take up something more normal in the UK, for example tuba, euphonium, baritone, trombone etc. This means that once a beginner has gained a little ability, they can join some kind of ensemble and get experience from that. But then it wouldn't be an unusual instrument!

BBb Tuba, I used to say this was my first instrument but due to health issues I don't play for bands any more, although I do still have my own Tuba and have a blow now and again.. I used to Play for Yorkshire Imps.
I would say nowadays Bass Guitar, guirat, uke and drums has taken over. :ph34r:

There are lots of listings on eBay selling new sousaphones made in India. ... but the intonation is almost invariably out
[/quote]

To be fair, this is normal for most Sousaphones or so I've been led to believe!

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1481297979' post='3191352']
BBb Tuba, I used to Play for Yorkshire Imps.

[/quote]

We are not worthy! They are a great band, you must have played to a very high standard.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1481370052' post='3191790']
To be fair, this is normal for most Sousaphones or so I've been led to believe!

We are not worthy! They are a great band, you must have played to a very high standard.
[/quote]

Why thank you sir :D