Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball strap locks.

bubinga5

can I ask why you ask? the reason being you mention Schallers but I cant imagine needing anything other than them as they seem to work perfectly and Im so impressed i have them on all my basses and straps.
be interested to hear if anyone is less than impressed with Schallers.

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1481194562' post='3190356']
can I ask why you ask? the reason being you mention Schallers but I cant imagine needing anything other than them as they seem to work perfectly and Im so impressed i have them on all my basses and straps.
be interested to hear if anyone is less than impressed with Schallers.
[/quote] I find the outer nut that sits on the washer can come loose. Maybe I'm not tightening them enough. I also like the look of the Ernie Ball locks

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1481199680' post='3190416']
I find the outer nut that sits on the washer can come loose. Maybe I'm not tightening them enough. I also like the look of the Ernie Ball locks
[/quote]

Every single failure of Schaller strap locks I've seen (including mine) has been down to the fact that they haven't been fitted properly. IIRC EBS Freak posted a comprehensive guide on how to fit them so that they don't work loose.

How do the EB version work? AFAICS they look very similar in method to the Dunlop/Warwick design. I've had the Warwick version of these fail mechanically in the locking mechanism with no warning at a gig. They were replaced the following week with a set of Schallers.

I'm using both on various straps/guitars. I find the EBs are a bit less fiddly to use but both types are equally prone to the nut working loose. For particularly heavy basses I'd recommend the Schaller type as they look more robust. Saying that though, I can't imagine EB would sell anything that might break - and they do look cool!

There's no nut on the Dunlops on my basses - there's a spring circlip on the back of the strap attachment that snaps on, therefore no nut to come loose. Only screw involved is the one into the guitar/bass body and it's slightly oversize to be nice and tight.

See diagram here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jim-Dunlop-Straplock-Dual-Design/dp/B0002CZW3G

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1481199680' post='3190416']
I find the outer nut that sits on the washer can come loose. Maybe I'm not tightening them enough. I also like the look of the Ernie Ball locks
[/quote]

ah ok thats fair enough.

When I fit my Schaller straplocks to my straps, i secure the bell shaped reccess in a benchtop vice and then tighten the nut with an adjustable spanner.
If you dont have access to proper tools you could always use some loctite to make sure the nut never works loose

The Ernie Ball ones are the same as the Dunlop ones aren't they?
Used them for a while as they came as standard on USA Hamer guitars but I found them too awkward & bulky so changed to Schallers & had no problems with them. Tighten the nut up with a spanner or even a pair of pliers & Schallers stay on forever.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1481201284' post='3190440']
There's no nut on the Dunlops on my basses - there's a spring circlip on the back of the strap attachment that snaps on, therefore no nut to come loose. Only screw involved is the one into the guitar/bass body and it's slightly oversize to be nice and tight.

See diagram here:

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jim-Dunlop-Straplock-Dual-Design/dp/B0002CZW3G"]https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/B0002CZW3G[/url]

G.
[/quote]

Yep, Dunlops for me every time. Never had a problem.

I have the Warwick equivalents on my Streamer and it's not the same - they look very similar but are secured by screwing on a nut which has to be re-tightened from time to time.

I had an EB one fail one me on the top horn, luckily I caught the neck before the headstock smashed against the floor. The body did manage to clip a music stand (at practice, as I am also lead vocalist) and ding the laquer.
Back to schallers, check the nuts when cleaning/general maintenance, never had a problem.

I've used Schallers and another name brand (I forget which), both awful. I have 3 instruments wearing cheapy ones off ebay with no problems whatsoever. Oldest set fitted 3+ years ago and not given them a second thought since.

Go figure!

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1481209645' post='3190587']
I guess a spring washer or a rough sided washer might help
[/quote]

The other night I did my usual pre-gig tightening of the nuts (knock yourselves out, double entendre fans) and they were still loose by the end of the gig. My strap ends are particularly thick and 'spongey' though which might explain the movement?