Why become a member? ×

18 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Apologies for the quality of the video as I had to set the camera up right at the back, but I think the audio makes up for it.

Actually, this video captures the feel of the venue very well.

The quality is secondary to the content which, in this case, shines.  If you dispersed some higher definition glimpses from the stage like in previous clips you'd have summat special.

20 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Actually, this video captures the feel of the venue very well.

The quality is secondary to the content which, in this case, shines.  If you dispersed some higher definition glimpses from the stage like in previous clips you'd have summat special.

Yes, I think you’re right. Unfortunately we just didn’t have the gear to get that done at this gig. I’ve not inserted still images into a video before, so I might give that a go and see what it turns out like. There’s an effect called ‘Ken Burns’ which pans across a video clip or still frame to give it a sense of movement, so I might try that as well at some point.

• Like 1

This is an oddity (excuse the pun) in that I can't imagine many, if any, Bowie tributes would bother with it. David used to do this song in several different ways, but I don't recall him using this format himself, although I believe Lulu still uses it in her set.

We usually use the 'Bowie at The Beeb' version as a template, but it was quite refreshing to do it this way for a change.

What do you think?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

This is an oddity (excuse the pun) in that I can't imagine many, if any, Bowie tributes would bother with it. David used to do this song in several different ways, but I don't recall him using this format himself, although I believe Lulu still uses it in her set.

We usually use the 'Bowie at The Beeb' version as a template, but it was quite refreshing to do it this way for a change.

What do you think?

I like it well enough.

What strikes me though, and don't let it suggest that I think you should change it, but It's never going to sound like Lulu's version.  That woman has a voice that is rarely matched.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, this was an interesting and extremely time consuming video (for a numpty like me) to pull together. The reason that it exists at all is that we wanted to record something for Paul, our keys player, as this was his final gig with us before moving to Spain.

There was nowhere to place my Zoom other than at the far left or right side of the stage (more on that later) and it wasn't possible to get any audio mix from the desk. The footage from the Zoom was OK and I have used segments of it in the video, but as it was a festival and half the joy of performing there was the large crowd, I knew it wouldn't serve the video very well by just having that footage alone. I decided that Life on Mars? would be a good opportunity to grab some stage to crowd perspective on my phone camera. I only play on the last section of the song anyway and I thought it would also be nice to get Paul's piano solo on camera from up close as well. As Nat also wasn't singing on the song, she did the same.

On reviewing the recording from the Zoom, the video was as well as could be expected from the poor camera position, but the audio was dreadful. On hearing it, I remembered that I hadn't even raised the mic's on the camera, let alone placed them in XY position. I'm blaming the very quick turnaround we had between bands, but ultimately that faux pas was on me 🙄. The Zoom audio was extremely bassy with a bit of keyboards and drums with very little in the way of main/backing vocals or any guitars. At that point I didn't think I would be able to do anything with any of it as I was relying on the audio from the Zoom, which is normally excellent, to be the audio over which I would edit the video.

All those times I've moaned about the audience taking videos with their phones rather than watching the band - well it turned out to be a blessing in this case. A couple of videos turned up on Facebook of Life on Mars? and as a result I was able to create an audio file for this track that was just about usable. It's still not great, but it's loads better than I had to start with. So, all I had to do now was stitch the video together.

After finding the audience videos I also found that there was a selection of pro-shot photographs of us that I didn't know existed. I've wanted to incorporate still photo's in an edit as I hadn't tried that before. This seemed to be the perfect opportunity. 

So here we have it, Life on Mars? from Witney Music Festival, Oxfordshire on 17/8. The video that almost didn't happen.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Oopsdabassist said:

excellent job sir!!!

Thank you most kindly 😀

4 hours ago, Paul S said:

Great job Warren.  Really like what you did with the stills at the end.

Thanks. I think it works, doesn't it? I don't think it would quite as effective without the 'Ken Burns' though.

• 4 weeks later...

Another theatre gig at the weekend just gone. We recorded audio from the desk at this one so will be able to mix it properly before editing it to the video from the Zoom. Only one camera for this gig unfortunately, positioned stage left.

We also employed a pro photographer as it was the first gig with our new keys player and we wanted some decent up to date photo's.

Changes2Bowie - Brentwood - Film Free Photography - 045.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 29/11/2018 at 01:21, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The latest from our recent gig at Brentwood Theatre. Bit of a signature song for us this, since our lead made it to the final of 'Stars In Their Eyes' with it. We used the 'Bowie at the Beeb' performance from 27/6/2000 as a template for this version.

The deep bass with the bright,choppy rhythm gtr is very good ! Lead gtr not bad at all ! You should do an album of original songs too.

• Like 1