Why become a member? ×

So What Is Your Number 1 Tuner

Thunderbird

Snark clip on. Accurate enough, and no need to have a lead to check tuning. I have a few and they've all
been 100% reliable. Gave up on rack tuners as just a bit too much faff.
Also, no extra cabling needed between guitar and amp (or amp and tuner if you use tuner out etc...)

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1481217184' post='3190694']
Snark clip on. Accurate enough, and no need to have a lead to check tuning. I have a few and they've all
been 100% reliable. Gave up on rack tuners as just a bit too much faff.
Also, no extra cabling needed between guitar and amp (or amp and tuner if you use tuner out etc...)
[/quote]

I need to pick one of those up.

However, after tuning it will have to be set off to the side. I don't want to mess with the integrity of the headstock design on any of my basses.

Blue

Boss TU2, just picked up a Korg Pitchblack Mini for times when I have to travel light, and I also have a Planet Waves clip-on tuner, but have found it can sometimes nto be too effective on the E when there is other loud music going on.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1481217473' post='3190703']
Korg Pitch Black since 2008.

However, for me it was useless at outdoor gigs on sunny days.And I'm noticing the tracking on the E string is getting a little "dicey"

Blue
[/quote]

Same for me. I've used one for years and it's great indoors but on outdoor stages I just can't see it. I don't like clip on ones either, not because I'm as purist about design as you are, Blue, but I just don't like the look of it hanging off the headstock!
I've got one of those little plastic Korg tuners and that's fine for outside as it's hand held so I can see it. Fortunately my P-bass never seems to go out of tune at a gig unless I clout it (which has happened!).

Planet Waves wee tiny one that hides on the headstock of EB and another one on the tailpiece of my EUB.Unobtrusive,light and easy to use.I can also use them on my guitar,banjo and mandolin.Bright enough to read in all situations and small enough that they are hardly noticeable to anyone else.I love them.

On a bass gig, the only gadget between bass and amp is my Korg Pitchblack. The batteries last for ages, probably because the current draw is infinitesimal when it's bypassed. It gives you a warning when the battery is dying, and if it does die mid-gig, it defaults to bypassed, so no embarrassing silences.

I have had the original TC Polytune on my big guitar pedalboard since they came out. I use it in strobe mode. The polyphonic mode is ok for quickly working out which string(s) have gone out, but it invariably gives a different result when you go to tune just one string. Also it does create some noise whilst tuning, but this could be because I don't have it running on an isolated power supply.

For all other purposes it's the Snark clip-on. I have 3 secreted in various places!