Why become a member? ×

GB Spitfire 5 String: SOLD (elsewhere)
£1500

pwsr90

Hello all,

I bought this bass from "Gwilym" about 5 years ago now. This bass saw me through 3 years at the Institute and I have enjoyed playing her on various gigs, however I only really ever play my Fender now, So would like to move the GB on to a more worthy home! Took real good care of this one so pretty much the same condition from when I purchased.

A bit more about the Bass:
(from Gwilyms thread)

35" scale
Neck 42mm at the nut (which is about 1 11/16th inches I think!), and 20mm deep.
66mm/25mm @ the 12th fret and 75mm wide at the 24th fret
Ash body (at least it looks like it to me)
Birdseye maple neck and fingerboard (which looks awesome!)
Quilted maple top.
The bridge allows adjustable string spacing, but currently set to 19mm
GB pickups
Active 18v GB electronics, Vol, Pan, Bass, Mid, Treble and a "bright switch", which seems to boost to top end for extra bite.
Weight: 9lbs 10oz

(Re. the scratch plates - one is black, the other is tortoiseshell. The scrachplates are not attached by screws, so there are no drill holes in the body of the bass. The tortoise shell one fits very snugly with no adhesive required. It looks like some double sided sticky tape has been required with the black plate.)

Trev "thestick" told me that he had the bass/electronics set up & serviced by Bernie Goodfellow when he got the bass, so everything is working as it should, and it's currently set with quite low action - probably a little too low for my heavy handed playing, but it's good to know that it's possible to set it up like that.

Sound wise, it sounds like a GB. A very modern smooth full sound (very much like a GB Rumour I had a few years back). The B string sounds tremendous, and is proper earthshaking stuff! Very clear fundamental, I can't imagine it gets any better in fact

Condition: this has been a players bass, so it's far from perfect, but it's certainly not been trashed. Mostly finish marks and some dings, which because of the colour of the bass are pretty hard to make out unless you're looking up close. I think I'd struggle make them show in pictures. So, overall, I'd give it a 7.5 to 8 out of 10.

So there you have it! A very nice bass all round, but not pristine so you won't have to worry too much when you gig it

£1500 ONO

Welcome to come and have a look/play - Location is in NW London - NW2

Edited by pwsr90

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • MoJoKe changed the title to GB Spitfire 5 String: SOLD (elsewhere)
  • MoJoKe locked this topic