Why become a member? ×

Loud Practices....really necessary

lowlandtrees

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1481190627' post='3190326']
+1 to this - I have spent far too much of my life explaining to moron guitarists how physics works and that the reason they cannot hear their guitar is not because their amp is too quiet but because they have set up too close to the speaker which is pointing at their ankles and the rest of us can all hear it just fine. Guitarist reluctantly moves five feet further away from his amp, concedes that he can hear his guitar now...next week sets up in the old spot and stands six inches away from his speaker...
[/quote] They really are a bunch of c+++s aren't they! Gitard in my lot goes one further and not content with pointing the offending sound at anyone bar him self ....sits!!!! on top of his amp and gets the hump when told to turn down. We get "but it sounds fine to me " with a confused look on his face. Will do this at gigs too. Yes I do want to get rid........

Having said that the overall volume of the band is, to be fair, more than reasonable. You can hear every thing just fine and its not ear splitting. Drummer uses hot rods and or Fat Snare. Turning down the drummer using basic tech goes a long way. Mind you I have had to throw a few tantrums to get it there.

Edited by bassjim

Guitarist stands opposite his cab in our rehearsals

He isnt always the culprit, horns are very very loud and everyone tends to play at a level to match.

I record everything, absolutely always, we have 4 years of rehearsals on file, if we ever want to revisit an idea its easy to find.

So volume in the room isnt so big a deal, as long as people are wearing ear plugs, because the recordings are on the button, no arguing with them at all....

We are much louder at gigs though, given a suitable venue, do like to fill the room with the funk after all :D

There are some compromises to be had on volume. You can only go so low and some rooms just sound sh*t no matter what the volume. If you have a brass section standing a few feet away because there isn't any where else for them to stand its a given but I think the main point the OP is getting at is stupid and unnecessary volumes.

Playing badly at number 11, making a racket, in a small room is for 16 year old type pubescent teenagers needing to let off steam. If any ones still doing it after that they are probably a guitarist.

Its normally the first signs of inexperience on and off the pitch so to speak.......and not just the gigging type of pitch either. Think Jay off of the Inbetweeners. Thats my secrect nick name for the gitard in my regular band.

Electric kit and IEM's. We can rehearse anywhere where un amplified singing is acceptable and none of us ever go home with ringing ears. If guitarist or anyone wants to turn up that's absolutely no issue as he just turns up in his own mix. Also means we never pay for rehearsal space.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1481297821' post='3191351']
Electric kit and IEM's. We can rehearse anywhere where un amplified singing is acceptable and none of us ever go home with ringing ears. If guitarist or anyone wants to turn up that's absolutely no issue as he just turns up in his own mix. Also means we never pay for rehearsal space.
[/quote]
Solution! Probably the most usable and reasonable reason for getting me near IEM . (EBS Freak :) )

Our drummer would complain about moving the electronic kit about. All you've done is move one problem out of the way and created a new one! :)

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1481299752' post='3191371']
Solution! Probably the most usable and reasonable reason for getting me near IEM . (EBS Freak :) )

Our drummer would complain about moving the electronic kit about. All you've done is move one problem out of the way and created a new one! :)
[/quote]

Exactly. I also play drums in a band and have learned more about dynamics, through having to rehearse in the singers big garden shed for 3 weeks, (Dont ask) than I have the other 40 years I have been drumming. Even at studio rehearsals the guitarist uses a small Fender combo and the Bassist uses the 1 x 10 from his stack. Keys through the PA. Less to carry and set up as I use the cocktail kit provided with my own breakables. I can play at talk over volume on my own kit now. If needed, and it has more effect when we do cut loose.

I warned the new members of the band, before the first rehearsal, about the level our guitarist likes to play, but fortunately he had just bought himself a huge new multi-fx pedal board and hadn't got to grips of how to use it and so was relatively quite. Joy. However after six weeks he's sussed it and he's back. There's no way of getting a tight sounding band, if you start losing the drums. Will have to rein him in again.

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1481147173' post='3190123']
Forgot to say that I started wearing ear protection a few months ago. It seems that it is almost universal that rehearsal rooms have ludicrously massive equipment. Not only rediculously loud for the room but a waste of space.... I do think that it is a lead guitarist thing in general.
[/quote]

yes and yes

whyTAF do you need a 100w head and 4x12 cab in a rehearsal studio???

also

from experience of a previous guitarer in our band i always suspected that he wasnt intentionally turning up all the turning but possibly more likely that his hearing was compromised in that mid range and the fact he was persistently turning up all the time was more to do with the fact that he was having trouble hearing it in the mix due to his own hearing response :huh: