Why become a member? ×

Boy, do guitars gig the limelight.

scalpy

The only time a couple of girlies came up to me after a gig, I got the opportunity to make myself laugh.
Girlie - "Do you play a lot of gigs round here?" (this was north London)
Me - "Not really, but we're very popular in parts of Scotland"
Girlie - "Wow, really!"
Me - "Yes, personally, I'm huge in the Trossachs!"
They wandered off looking confused, I laughed my head off inside. The Two Ronnies would have been proud.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1481188813' post='3190309']
The only time a couple of girlies came up to me after a gig, I got the opportunity to make myself laugh.
Girlie - "Do you play a lot of gigs round here?" (this was north London)
Me - "Not really, but we're very popular in parts of Scotland"
Girlie - "Wow, really!"
Me - "Yes, personally, I'm huge in the Trossachs!"
They wandered off looking confused, I laughed my head off inside. The Two Ronnies would have been proud.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]The Wiki article doesn't really do justice to the glory/horror that it panto. It's a VERY British form of children's entertainment... these are some typical images (and yes, the male romantic lead IS a girl - ALWAYS!!!)[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][/color][/size][/font]

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1481100407' post='3189625']
Because, as equinox put it in their documentary, the electric guitar can move the spirit.
Bass merely moves their bowels; which do you think the audience find preferable ?
[/quote]

A distinct advantage when playing to an older crowd, like I mostly do.... some of them are absurdly grateful.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1481193920' post='3190351']
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]The Wiki article doesn't really do justice to the glory/horror that it panto. It's a VERY British form of children's entertainment... these are some typical images (and yes, the male romantic lead IS a girl - ALWAYS!!!)[/color][/size][/font]

[/quote]

But if nothing else, this poster demonstrates the Panto's continuing obsession with ultra-obscure so-called "celebrities" who get to be described as "stars".

Of the four "stars" listed here, I have quite genuinely never even heard.

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1481189864' post='3190317']
Excuse my ignorance, but what is "panto"?
[/quote]
@yank The reason for girls being played by younger men in the old days was that the theatre cast was considered disreputable and that no decent woman would appear in it.

Thankfully times have changed and it's quite normal for actual female "totally unknowns" to appear

Edited by Geek99

I used to think more like this but I think a lot of it is because guitarists as a rule are more out going and bassists are more reserved. If you talk to the audience they will talk back. I used to moan in my main band about this but it was because the singer and guitarist were working the room after. I tried a bit harder and things changed.

And throwing shapes on the bass looks awesome! In a mid life crisis kind of way for me, but an awesome mid life crisis :)

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1481199159' post='3190408']
I used to think more like this but I think a lot of it is because guitarists as a rule are more out going and bassists are more reserved. If you talk to the audience they will talk back. I used to moan in my main band about this but it was because the singer and guitarist were working the room after. I tried a bit harder and things changed.

And throwing shapes on the bass looks awesome! In a mid life crisis kind of way for me, but an awesome mid life crisis :)
[/quote]

This is why I was the current gig for this week as an example. I'm the same person, I'm quite outgoing as bass player and do dance about. No comments, and no I'm not whining about it, just observing. I think the solo thing might have something to do with it, because nobody is commenting about the one other song I 'just' play rhythm on. As for upright, learning how to is on my to do list, but the theatre gigs I do won't let me use it in the pit, I've already checked!

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1481110563' post='3189737']
I think why a guitarist gets the limelight is that they are playing some version of the melody of the song, that sticks out, at people.
[/quote]
Totally agree with this, if you play something like We've Gotta Get Out Of This Place you will probably get complimented on being a "great" bassist, even though it's really a very simple bass line to play.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1481811632' post='3195354']
But in all fairness, Blue, how often do you go around the room telling the audience how great [i][b]they [/b][/i]were?

;)
[/quote]

More than you think. I try to go around to all of our regulars and newbies thanking them for coming out to see us.

Blue

I've been a BP for 50 years. I never expected any fame and I was not disappointed.
Last year I played some guitar with a lady accordionist at a simple concert. They never left me alone...! As I was not used to the attention, I was dumbfounded by it all.

So, I hate to bust any egos here or burst anyone's balloon... but if you aspire to be a BP, do not expect to get the attention that your guitarist gets. You will be as respected as a tuba player, with almost the same amount of attention. But when they come up to chat with the guitarist, simply go and have a coffee or a drink and chat with the locals about anything but music. And it's great, because they won't recognize you as part of the band, anyway.

I can't explain it. Learn guitar...! It ain't that hard, honest. A little persistence learning the grips, then add some notes around the chord.
I also play plectrum banjo. I found that easier to play than guitar. Now, that will get you lots of attention. In comparison to a banjoist, guitar is commonplace...

Edited by CrackerJackLee