Why become a member? ×

Goodbye LH1000... Hello BH550

Hot Tub

Now my third Hartke LH1000 (2nd warranty replacement) has finally died I've decided to chuck it. I have never been so disappointed with a product. When it worked it sounded amazing, but I have found them to be unreliable to the point of being useless. Amp #1 - the B channel died. Returned to Thomann, no fault found, replaced under warranty. Amp #2 - exactly the same. Amp #3 (this one) - the B channel died and I took it to an amp tech. He couldn't find any fault either. Now the A channel has died and I've had enough. I'm done with Hartke amps.

A lot of good things have been written and said about Hartke's customer service in the US - Larry even publishes his phone number - and I have chatted with him on Facebook messenger, but I've found nothing in the UK. They're just not interested.

So, in the next few days a TC Electronic BH550 will arrive. I've heard a lot of good stuff about these, so fingers crossed.

I have the BH250, I use it with a Barefaced 210 on gigs where we can't fit the full PA in so just go vocals only PA + backline.

The BH amps are excellent value and plenty loud enough. Toneprint feature is excellent, I just have it set on the regular spectracomp and dial it up to between 11 and 1 depending on which Bass I'm using. Great stuff! The baked in tone of the BH is spot on for my money - only ever adjust the knobs between 11 and 1 on those too. Good purchase!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1481206752' post='3190545'] That's odd. The LH series are usually noted for their simplicity, loudness and trouble-freeness. [/quote]

That's one of the primary reasons I bought it in the first place. I'm gigging regularly around the Midlands, and a couple of times a year I play with another band in Europe, so reliability is important. The LH just continually let me down. I'll never touch another Hartke amp. But when it worked it was awesome, I loved it!

[quote name='Hot Tub' timestamp='1481313178' post='3191500']
Looking forward to getting the BH - hopefully early next week. I hate waiting for new gear! :)

[b][u]Trying to get Thomann to deal with the LH-1000 under the terms of their 3 year warranty, but so far no joy.[/u][/b]
[/quote]

That's very disappointing. Their 3 year warranty is the main reason I bought my last amp from them. (EBS Reidmar 750. Thankfully it has been 100% reliable so far)

Frank.

The BH550 has arrived and it sounds phenomenal! I loved the Hartke (when it worked!), but this is in a different league!

After 5 emails with no response, a couple of Facebook posts on Thomann's page got an answer. The LH1000 is now en-route back to Germany.

It seems like Thomann really don't want to honour their 3-year warranty (there's a surprise), but as I have no interest or desire to get the LH1000 either repaired or replaced, I'm quite prepared for the long haul. Let's see what they say when they get it back to their "techs".....

Well, Thomann now have the LH1000 back, and as expected, their "techs" can't find any fault. They have offered me a store credit, which is no use as I have already bought a replacement amp from them. I'm hoping I can persuade them that I am not required to accept a credit, and a refund is allowed.

This could go on for a while....

Hartke are a disgrace in my opinion. I had so much trouble with a Kilo that I ended up £800 out of pocket when they refused to admit that it was a flawed product. I had it repaired by the UK distributor and a guy called Gareth from hartke even got involved on here. He made big public gestures saying he'd help if I ever had another problem. Funnily enough when it broke again just two hours after I got it back (complete with a damaged front panel caused by their tech) he washed his hands of all involvement and I ended up taking it to the tip. After that I would never trust hartke and their crap service ever again.

Thomann have finally agreed to a refund, albeit partial (around 65% of the purchase price), but it's all I'm going to get so I'll take it. I just want this to be over. Besides, I'll make a few % on the exchange rate!

Needless to say, I'll never touch Hartke amps again. If you have one of the LH amps and it works, you lucky lucky lucky lucky barsteward! I loved it when it worked, but it just wasn't reliable. If you're thinking of buying one, my advice is don't. You might get a good one, but if not you can forget about Hartke customer service. Despite all the good things they say, it's non-existent outside of the US, and their UK people are absolutely not interested unless you're a "name".

Lesson learned.

:)

[quote name='Hot Tub' timestamp='1482321092' post='3199499'] but if not you can forget about Hartke customer service. Despite all the good things they say, it's non-existent outside of the US, and their UK people are absolutely not interested unless you're a "name".

Lesson learned.

:)
[/quote]

My 'Kilo' experience exactly, as I said before I was lucky DV247 stepped up and did the right thing for me, because I was fed nothing but a web of lies by the UK end of Hartke, which was confirmed when I emailed the USA end for clarification of something. Never again.

What a timely post is this - I'm looking for a new amp and the LH500 and TX600 were on the shortlist (although the sixer reportedly punch well below its weight). Interestingly, if you Google Hartke you'll find the manufacturer's own website is notable by its absence.

• 1 month later...

I'm same here as i bought Kilo when they came out around 2012 i think and it didn't work straight out the box. Full refund by Thomann no quibble at all.
Had no response from Hartke at all. No response from Larry H either when i contacted him by email provided by Talkbass Forum guys.
Would never buy anything from Hartke.

Have to say that i played thru a Hartke LH500 & 2 off 1x15 XL cabs at a gig few weeks ago and it was an impressive sound with my Fender PJ Deluxe but i still wouldn't buy a Hartke because of the reliabilty and lack of customer service.

Dave