Why become a member? ×

Yamaha RBX270 - any good?

bassbiscuits

Seen one of these for sale locally, (from about 2001-ish I think) and I've been on the lookout for a cheap back-up bass for the less salubrious gigs.

It looks pretty decent, and a fair bit online, tho mostly reviews from people who've had it as their first real bass etc, so a bit hard to judge how objective they are.

Anyone gigged one? Are they decent enough? I like the fact they look quite lightweight and comfy, if not exactly a gorgeous looker!

Thoughts?

I can't speak personally about the RBX line but I've gigged a BB300 before (cheapest BB bass at time of manufacture I think) without issue or complaint. And my bass tutor from back in the day gigged with an RBX170 often - sounded great to me :)

No problem to gig with one of those where you don't want to take your more expensive gear.

Do be warned though - Getting your first Yammy can be a slippery slope! When you realise how good their lower end stuff is, you'll soon be tempted to try some of their more expensive stuff. Then you've had it. :lol:

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1481120202' post='3189856']
No problem to gig with one of those where you don't want to take your more expensive gear.

Do be warned though - Getting your first Yammy can be a slippery slope! When you realise how good their lower end stuff is, you'll soon be tempted to try some of their more expensive stuff. Then you've had it. :lol:
[/quote]

Ha ha! I need no encouragement to buy more basses trust me!

I did once have an old Japanese BB350F fretless, and a more recent BB414, which were both decent basses, but they were both many years ago.

I like the idea of having a cheap, reliable bass as an alternative to my more expensive stuff.

• 2 years later...

Had this bass for a number of years without realising its potential. In its stock form, it is unremarkable. However, it is cheap, and customisable. Tried many pickup changes, but it was still a little dull even with a) Wizard Thumper P - no longer available b) DiMarzio Ultra Jazz J c) TI flats What made the difference was a bridge change to something more substantial. I my case, I had an old style Warwick Rockbass bridge lying about. The change was huge and - THIS IS SIGNIFICANT - there is no infamous dead spot on the G string at all. Conclusion: it is a fundamentally good bass once the bridge has been replaced.

My first proper bass was RBX1000 back in ‘93. Really good bass but looked a bit metal when I was doing my jazz studies and traded in for a fretless Stingray. I have only seen one of those again and it was here in the For Sale section couple of years back. I was tempted to get it to see if it was as good as I remembered.