Why become a member? ×

Basschatters at gigs

Lord Sausage

I went to watch Nearly Dan a few years back at the Hare & Hounds in Birmingham and watched the bass player Pete Bacain intently as he was masterfully weaving the bass through those Steely Dan tracks and he looked more serious than I do on stage and I wondered if he would be approachable. But as they came off stage for the interval I said hello and complimented him on his bass playing and that I we had communicated on here and his face opened up witha huge grin and he took me back on the stage to show me his bass and his bass rig. A really nice cool guy even handed me his bass to feel.

I usually try to talk to the bass player after a gig, just to say 'well done, wherr are you playing next' etc. I don't tend to ask if they're on BC and I never talk gear unless they do.

I've always tried to go up to at least one band member and thank them if I've enjoyed the gig, from long before I ever picked up a bass myself. I was almost put off continuing to do this after a thread on here where several individuals professed to feeling awkward when punters talked to them, or finding it tiresome in one way or another.

But eventually I thought 'sod it, life's too short, if I want to compliment someone I will' And hope that deep down inside they actually appreciate it in some way.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1480961924' post='3188468']
I usually try to talk to the bass player after a gig, just to say 'well done, wherr are you playing next' etc. I don't tend to ask if they're on BC and I never talk gear unless they do.

I've always tried to go up to at least one band member and thank them if I've enjoyed the gig, from long before I ever picked up a bass myself. I was almost put off continuing to do this after a thread on here where several individuals professed to feeling awkward when punters talked to them, or finding it tiresome in one way or another.

But eventually I thought 'sod it, life's too short, if I want to compliment someone I will' And hope that deep down inside they actually appreciate it in some way.
[/quote]
I'm very much like that too if I can I like to commumicate my appreciation for their performance and if they ask what I thought about the sound I do think it's best to be honest to what you hear because I know myself that I would want to know how my bass sounded in the venue.

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1480962348' post='3188474']
I'm very much like that too if I can I like to commumicate my appreciation for their performance and if they ask what I thought about the sound I do think it's best to be honest to what you hear because I know myself that I would want to know how my bass sounded in the venue.
[/quote]

I'm often/invaribly asked what I think of the sound at gigs. In some ways it is a compliment that they ask, but by the same token I don't really want to spend too long talking about things like that...and it is better to move about a bit a talk to other people. Sometimes the breaks aren't long enough.. :lol:

I'll say hi and chat to band members if they head in my general direction after the gig or during the interval, but I wouldn't approach them or seek them out. It's good to talk to other musicians though, whether they're bass players or otherwise. I'm more likely to talk to bands that we're sharing a bill with. I don't think I would ask them if they used Basschat!

I find people are more likely to approach me for a chat when I've done a solo gig, rather than after a gig with my band.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1480961939' post='3188469']
But some of us can be and I'm one of them!
[/quote]

Don't be a stalker, :lol: It gets a bit boring, not to say pretty sad...but there you go..!!

Besides, have you heard some of their bands... :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1480966943' post='3188527']
Don't be a stalker, :lol: It gets a bit boring, not to say pretty sad...but there you go..!!

Besides, have you heard some of their bands... :lol:
[/quote]
Boring and sad!

You've never been stalked by me then.....it's sexy and terrifying.......terrifying for me!

Edited by Lord Sausage

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1480964931' post='3188508']
Was it before Christmas 2012 at London gig?
[/quote]
Nah it was on the Firegarden tour probably G3 in Manchester in the 90's. He's met me twice he's a lucky guy!

The second time he took ages to come out after the gig. My mate who was a cheeky f***er said. "f***in 'ell Stevie, where ya been? George Micheal came out quicker than you did!"

To be fair he laughed quite a lot!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1480944199' post='3188223']
Always ask, but hardly ever turns out to be a Basschatter - though most have at least heard of us.

Truth is, there are only 17 real people on Basschat. The rest are either Bots or they're JTUK using multiple logins ...
[/quote]Come one then, wtf are Bots and JTUK'S..............???? Was a newbie a fortnight ago......!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Chewie' timestamp='1480967956' post='3188553']
Come one then, wtf are Bots and JTUK'S..............???? Was a newbie a fortnight ago......!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

Bots are automated spam accounts and JTUK is a rarely spotted bass legend with an all-star band and an extensive rider of specific technical requirements for his gigs.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1480961924' post='3188468']

[/quote]

I usually get a cuddle!! Mwah!

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1480962514' post='3188476']
I met Steve Harris after the gig last Friday, but doubt it very much he is a basschatter.
[/quote]

Ah. You're mistaken then. I'm very much a basschatter, though I use the JTUK login name most of the time, and BassTractor and the other mentioned ones slightly less often.
You may call me Mr Harris or simply JTUK.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1480970003' post='3188606']
with an all-star band and an extensive rider of specific technical requirements for his gigs.
[/quote]

Not when I play for nowt though, which happens quite often.
In those cases I only bring the all-star band. No riders or requirements.
;) :)

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1480970003' post='3188606']
Bots are automated spam accounts and JTUK is a rarely spotted bass legend with an all-star band and an extensive rider of specific technical requirements for his gigs.
[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Let me correct you... it wasn't my rider, it was a international jazz act who insisted on that spec. The venue, which had a very decent Meyer in-house system, didn't have the 9 wedges of the standard required. [/font][/color]

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1480970086' post='3188608']

Ah. You're mistaken then. I'm very much a basschatter, though I use the JTUK login name most of the time, and BassTractor and the other mentioned ones slightly less often.
You may call me Mr Harris or simply JTUK.
[/quote]
Are you on drugs?

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1480971686' post='3188641']
Are you on drugs?
[/quote]

Is that a serious question? My guess is that it is.
In case: no, I'm not on drugs. I never am, nor am I ever drunk.

Why would you ask the question?
My guess is you just answered the thread title without reading the thread. Reading the thread would have explained to you what my post was about.
That or the aforementioned Mr Harris has a certain relationship to drugs.

Edited by BassTractor