Why become a member? ×

New Fender American Professional Series....

Musicman20

Well the necks on Mexican Fenders are made at the Corona factory so they're nearly 50% USA built as is :lol:

"Rolled edges" ? Don't see that as a major factor to aid bass playing and £250 for an extra pass with the router seems a tad excessive.
Still if it works for you, then it works for you.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1480979530' post='3188776']
Well the necks on Mexican Fenders are made at the Corona factory so they're nearly 50% USA built as is :lol:[/quote]

See I don't actually care about the country it's made in. To me that seems like some deep rooted American nationalism to assume that being made in that country is itself going to make something superior. Of course, that would make no sense to me being from the same country as you.

If Fender made both their lower end range and their higher end range in Mexico (or both in America) I'd still have went for the one that's currently known as the American Standard.

[quote]"Rolled edges" ? Don't see that as a major factor to aid bass playing and £250 for an extra pass with the router seems a tad excessive.
Still if it works for you, then it works for you.
[/quote]

You tried the American ones? The rolled edge neck definitely feels nice. £250 is a huge amount just for that difference; I'm not saying not to upgrade a Mexi to save money over an American. In fact, I'm going to buy a P shortly and not going for the American. I'm going for a 50s MiM model and I don't actually know if the neck is rolled or not so it's obviously not a deal breaker for me but my strat's rolled edges undoubtedly feel nicer than a non-rolled strat neck.

Edited by thegummy

[quote name='rhcp128' timestamp='1480975752' post='3188720']
They were 1399 on the Fender website, but pretty much everybody had them around 1299-1329. Pre-brexit they were in the 1200 range. It's more than a 25% increase. That's quite a lot for 6 months and at the 1500 range I could argue there are more impressive options out there.

Just my two cents...
[/quote]

I picked up a fretless USA Std Jazz for 1250 post-brexit. There didn't seem to be many left in the UK and I assumed they were selling them out to clear the way for a new line. I was told by a sales guy in a major store that Fender built in a price hike on the assumption that the £ would take a hit and that they were expecting prices to remain stable post-brexit. What are the US prices on these? Are they a hike on the USA Std book prices?

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1481020455' post='3188963']

I picked up a fretless USA Std Jazz for 1250 post-brexit. There didn't seem to be many left in the UK and I assumed they were selling them out to clear the way for a new line. I was told by a sales guy in a major store that Fender built in a price hike on the assumption that the £ would take a hit and that they were expecting prices to remain stable post-brexit. What are the US prices on these? Are they a hike on the USA Std book prices?
[/quote]
No US hike, the price there remained stable till they discontinued the line.

I've noticed the Offset Mustang PJ bass price has dropped significantly. Fender now advertising £539, with most UK shops selling at around £517. I'm sure these were around the 700 mark just days ago (Richtone music currently has one at £732), which was obviously a crazy price.

RE the Pros. Was it too much to ask to have a Burgundy Mist colour option?

Edited by Tee

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1480981276' post='3188799']
@thegummy

Just ignore me Brother. I spend too much time on TB winding up Americans :lol:
[/quote]

Too much is never enough time to wind up some of the po faced/insane TB lot.

Back to topic. It's the little things here and there that make a big difference for me. Admittedly it was nearly 10 years ago but when I bought my US Fender new I tried about a dozen before pulling the trigger. A couple felt not quite right the rest were pretty good and I settled on the one that was lightest with the nicest feel. Sadly it was in 3TSB but I'm learning to live with it. I've played some nice Mexican made and Squiers too and also a couple of not so nice ones.
I know they're mostly made by CNC but they do seem to vary to a noticeable extent.
Got to try before you buy at new Fender silly prices.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1481030937' post='3189099']
Too much is never enough time to wind up some of the po faced/insane TB lot.

Back to topic. It's the little things here and there that make a big difference for me. Admittedly it was nearly 10 years ago but when I bought my US Fender new I tried about a dozen before pulling the trigger. A couple felt not quite right the rest were pretty good and I settled on the one that was lightest with the nicest feel. [b]Sadly it was in 3TSB[/b] but I'm learning to live with it. I've played some nice Mexican made and Squiers too and also a couple of not so nice ones.
I know they're mostly made by CNC but they do seem to vary to a noticeable extent.
Got to try before you buy at new Fender silly prices.
[/quote]

What's sad about that? As long as it has a RW fingerboard, stick a tort guard on it and it's one of the best guitar looks of all time.

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1481032155' post='3189119']
What's sad about that? As long as it has a RW fingerboard, stick a tort guard on it and it's one of the best guitar looks of all time.
[/quote]

Rosewood yes. Came with an off white guard I swapped for a black one. I don't like tort either!

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've just seen this. The colour is quite cool but there are limited choices, colour wise and, I'm not sure why they are over £400 more expensive than the last US Standard. I was really excited about the Elite series 5 P bass but I feel the price may just put me off. Does any one know what the main differences are and why such a huge price difference? I see they have limited the Dimension range as well :unsure:[/font][/color]

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_am_pro_p_bass_v_mn_ato.htm"][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_am_pro_p_bass_v_mn_ato.htm[/font][/color][/url]

Edited by mattbass6

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1481105043' post='3189673']
£1500 for a slightly tarted up, renamed US Standard.
Gotta affect sales this side of the pond surely?
[/quote]

I would have sort so, too. I'm dreading seeing the price of the Elite version ha ha ha ha ha :blink:

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1481105043' post='3189673']
£1500 for a slightly tarted up, renamed US Standard.
Gotta affect sales this side of the pond surely?
[/quote][quote name='mattbass6' timestamp='1481106572' post='3189687']
I would have sort so, too. I'm dreading seeing the price of the Elite version ha ha ha ha ha :blink:
[/quote]

Yep I'd have thought so too. When you think what you can get out there for £1500.

[quote name='mattbass6' timestamp='1481103805' post='3189661']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've just seen this. The colour is quite cool but there are limited choices, colour wise and, I'm not sure why they are over £400 more expensive than the last US Standard. I was really excited about the Elite series 5 P bass but I feel the price may just put me off. Does any one know what the main differences are and why such a huge price difference? I see they have limited the Dimension range as well :unsure:[/font][/color]

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_am_pro_p_bass_v_mn_ato.htm"][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_am_pro_p_bass_v_mn_ato.htm[/font][/color][/url]
[/quote]

Crazy money. Crazy. You could pick one up for around £1050 if you shopped around a year back.

I can imagine sales will drop. In no way is a Fender worth that money IMO.

My Flea Roadworn Jazz is the best Jazz I've personally played and was around £820 new; I prefer it to my 2011 USA Standard (but that is going NOWHERE!).

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1481111728' post='3189749']
Crazy money. Crazy. You could pick one up for around £1050 if you shopped around a year back.

I can imagine sales will drop. In no way is a Fender worth that money IMO.

My Flea Roadworn Jazz is the best Jazz I've personally played; I prefer it to my 2011 USA Standard (but that is going NOWHERE!).
[/quote]

It'll be fine and people will pay it. :)

I remember back when the updated US Standard range was released in 2008 and people were saying that £795 rrp was too much for them. This year people were paying £1200+ for the same thing. (And don't get me started on "custom shop" pickups on the post 2010 models that justified another price increase. What the hell is "custom" about winding a pickup ffs?)

Frank.

I know its easy for us to talk about what Fender should and shouldn't be doing but did no one in Fender think to take some test pieces out into the public domain, bass shows or something and get opinions on these instruments??

The same old sh*tty colours and some new sh*tty additions, why not throw in some of the cool vintage colours from the past that aren't being used on other models? Another thing with the US standard/pro instruments that has always done my head in, is the router hump by the neck joint, why in gods name cant they sort that out and grade it in and finish the instrument properly? I have had 3 Squiers that don't have it and they play fine and the necks never fell off or anything drastic like that.

I have a huge in-explainable sort spot for Fender, the RW and vintage USA stuff seems to be well received, but they seem to be losing the plot IMO. To think what superb quality instrument you could buy for £1500.......the mind boggles as to why anyone would buy a new USA fender.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1481112847' post='3189756']
I remember back when the updated US Standard range was released in 2008 and people were saying that £795 rrp was too much for them. This year people were paying £1200+ for the same thing. (And don't get me started on "custom shop" pickups on the post 2010 models that justified another price increase. What the hell is "custom" about winding a pickup ffs?)
[/quote]

Custom Shop is just the name for Fender's high end instruments/parts, it's not to be taken literally

Lots of American brands popular since the 60/70s are offsetting a sales slump by increasing prices.
Harley Davidson is doing the same, up 10% I heard.

No shortage of used basses on the market yet they still have to ship units. Reckon that's why you don't see vintage colours.
Who'd spend £1500 for a certain colour when a used one would maybe cost £1000.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1481114197' post='3189774']
The next bit of joy from all this is used 2005 Standard Precisions on FEEBay at £1100 (well they're £1500 new now guv :rolleyes: ).
They can bloody well keep 'em.

I only gig my 2 rather special Mex's, so Fender, think I'm out now.
[/quote]

Absolutely. You can see this coming a mile off. The other will be - "Rare Fender US "bass here". Discontinued colour £1100 etc etc etc. I still want one but not at those prices.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1481117617' post='3189831']
Elites are between £1500 and £1900 currently!
[/quote]

Thanks for that. I saw the Jazz Elite 5 string but I haven't seen any P bass 5 Elite basses. The Jazz 5's were around that £1900.00 which seems a tad high for me personally but I am sure. lots of people will be willing to pay that sort of dosh.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1481114197' post='3189774']
The next bit of joy from all this is used 2005 Standard Precisions on FEEBay at £1100 (well they're £1500 new now guv :rolleyes: ).
They can bloody well keep 'em.

I only gig my 2 rather special Mex's, so Fender, think I'm out now.
[/quote]

This has been happening with the Roadworns already so I expect to see the same. I struggled to sell a RW for £500 a few years ago and now people are asking £750.