Why become a member? ×

New Fender American Professional Series....

Musicman20

I think I'm with most people in this thread. Tried a 2017 P-Bass last week. Meh, it was ok. The thing is "ok" doesn't really cut it when you're paying £1500 for an instrument, especially when you look at all the other stuff you could get for the same money or less. Not horrible but nothing special. I've never found that description to be a selling point for a bass.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1482243122' post='3198754']
Unfortunately domestic luthiers are going to have to put their prices up eventually too - they may have enough wood/parts in stock at the moment to allow them to cash in on boosted orders due to the Fender price but once they run out they'll find all their parts are costing more to import. I can't think of any UK luthiers whose instruments are 100% UK sourced, though would happily hear if there are any. Once they need new parts, I can't see many absorbing the higher cost - they'll pass it to consumers.
[/quote]

And by that time Fender will have put their prices up again... :D

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' timestamp='1482243773' post='3198764']
Tried a 2017 P-Bass last week. Meh, it was ok.
[/quote]

What were the frets like? Noticeably tall? I have to admit, I don't think I've ever noticed whether my frets are tall or not so I'm curious to see how tall these ones are (I'll give on a go next time I'm in a shop, but just curious now).

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1482056094' post='3197182']
Anyone else notice "Made in the USA" has been replaced with "Corona, CA"? I think the little USA flag sticker is also gone. It's a fairly big sign of the times I think, not just with California increasingly seeing itself as a separate entity from the rest of the USA, but also global attitudes towards the USA. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.
[/quote]

Martin did the same thing a few years ago for depressing legal reasons, summed up here: http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?292248-Martin-Guitars-No-Longer-quot-Made-in-USA-quot

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1482244992' post='3198793']
What were the frets like? Noticeably tall? I have to admit, I don't think I've ever noticed whether my frets are tall or not so I'm curious to see how tall these ones are (I'll give on a go next time I'm in a shop, but just curious now).
[/quote]

Wouldn't say it was noticable but then I didn't A/B with an older Fender. I'd recommend trying one out, it just left me feeling a bit "meh". Yeah I could get some nice tones out of it but then I can get nice tones out of a Squier for a fraction of the cost.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1482244992' post='3198793']
[/quote]

With a guitar you can tell, with vintage frets the strings almost touch the fretboard but with tall you can get more of a grip.

Think it matters a lot less on bass, think some people even prefer vintage

When I was after a J-style 4-string in 2013, I only wanted a US Standard Fender. I know there are people building better versions, super Jazzes, etc. and I also acknowledge that it doesn't really make sense but only a Fender would do for me. I tried out maybe 15 of them at various stores and pretty much all of them were decent enough but 1 of them was particularly good - which is obviously the one I bought. If it ever needed replacing, I'd do my best to hunt out another superb US Standard/Professional Fender Jazz... I guess I can almost certainly be called a fan boy!

[quote name='rhcp128' timestamp='1480974378' post='3188683']
I am sure these are lovely basses, but they seem extremely similar to the outgoing US standards and that's one hell of a price...
[/quote]

There is no end, apparently, to the Fender wish-fulfillment juggernaut. And what the hell is a 'professional' bass? A bass that has an MFA? A bass that can converse in two languages equally well? What a load of crap.

After the banking crisis, Brexit and the impending oil price hike, it's pretty pointless comparing current prices against a decade ago. The price is the price: people will pay or they won't. . . . so, I played a Fender Am Pro Jazz V today.

If they're all like this then Fender might have finally come up with a 5 string bass that can compete and win! About time!! It had a reasonable set up, a lowish action and had a very clear and even sound across all strings. I'm not looking for another Jazz but if I was this would certainly have enough plus points to get my attention.

If anyone's looking for a 5 string Jazz this should be on their audition list.

[quote name='Wylie' timestamp='1482969420' post='3203884']
And what the hell is a 'professional' bass?
[/quote]

I think it's a bit lame when a company puts 'professional' or 'pro' in a product's name. Most 'professionals' tend to use industry 'standards' in whichever field.

I tried a 4 string Jazz just before xmas and it was 'alright'. The finish on the back of the neck was like silk, the whole thing was very playable with a better than average setup out of the box and it sounded just like a Jazz should. However, there was slight damage to the board where a few of the frets had been installed, the board itself was a very average looking piece of wood, I could get my fingernail down the gap in the neck pocket, and the bridge pickup rout was quite noticeably big - or at least big for the pickup that was installed. I'm not a fan of the thin finish that looks almost like orange-peel over the more obvious grain in the wood either, but I know from past experience that's just how they are.

I take Professional to mean that it's just a comfortable and dependable tool to do a job and should be put to work in order to pay for itself as many times over as possible before needing to be replaced, and yeah, it'd probably make a sensible business expense.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1482234094' post='3198630']
The price differential is just silly at this point. I've seen USA Stds selling for £4 - 500 less than the new Pros, in the same store. That's a massive difference, for almost no difference. If I wanted a new Fender right now, I'd be grabbing a USA Std, without a second thought. I do like the new Olive green though.
[/quote]
I did just that and bagged a NOS 2014 P bass and a 2016 Jazz for a few £100 more than a single 'Pro' P bass would have cost. Have to say I'm presently very pleased, same bridge, machine heads graphite reinforced necks etc etc. 2 of the best Fenders ive played.
Price hikes have now taken the Nate Mendel and other Mex basses such as the classic NItro P bass (both awesome basses btw) above the cost that Am Stds were going for a few months ago.

So I managed to play one today, instantly I wasn't keen on the tall frets, they felt very strange under the fingers. I often "squiggle" to imitate a pitch bend on a keys bass and the tall narrow frets don't suit this technique that well. I also felt the bass side of the V mod pickup was lacking in richness and articulation, also the tone pot seemed to bleed the volume as well.

On the plus, the neck profile is spot on for me! However the bass isn't worth £1500+

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1487929578' post='3244173']
I don't understand the use of the taller frets on a bass. It could help with guitar players, but bass, don't see the point. Bizarre. Possibly the most content I've been with my gear for a LONG time.
[/quote]
They felt terribly odd on the bass I played yesterday, I really can't see what they add to the bass and playability. The neck profile was really comfortable and lovely though, so them sticking silly odd frets on has really made them definitely loose a potential customer in me.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1487931791' post='3244216']
I played on one last month - honestly didn't notice the frets at all & I was specifically looking out for them. This was a jazz & it was very similar to my American Standard jazz - nice bass. £1500 is a lot of money though.
[/quote]
I really noticed them, especially on the E and G string, and when doing slides and other techniques.

I definitely feel £1500, like you, is a lot of money for those basses, £1100-£1200 and I'd be more interested in buying one for sure!

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1482243122' post='3198754']
Unfortunately domestic luthiers are going to have to put their prices up eventually too - they may have enough wood/parts in stock at the moment to allow them to cash in on boosted orders due to the Fender price but once they run out they'll find all their parts are costing more to import. I can't think of any UK luthiers whose instruments are 100% UK sourced, though would happily hear if there are any. Once they need new parts, I can't see many absorbing the higher cost - they'll pass it to consumers.
[/quote]

I doubt there are any basses that are 100% domestically sourced whatever country they are made in.

Gus, Overwater and Wal all make the majority of their hardware (or have it made especially for them) but where do the raw materials for these come from?

Is anyone using UK grown wood for their guitars and basses? Gus use English Cedar for the bodies but the necks are Canadian Cedar, and while the carbon fibre material for the outer wrap comes from a company on the IOW, I don't know where the raw materials themselves come from.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1487932786' post='3244229']
Surely if you're noticing the height of the frets you're pressing too hard.
[/quote]
I don't press hard at all, I have a very light touch. I just genuinely noticed the frets were higher than on my MIM P and the Am Std P's I have played.

What really has most likely happened is that I was looking for the frets to be higher, there was a noticeable difference between that Am Pro and the MIM I played side by side though.

Just popped into my local PMT to have a quick sweep - one thing I noticed was the maple necks on these have a marbling/wood grain through them? I'd missed this on the pictures/videos - it looks rather nice.

The frets look weird.

I'll try to pop in again so I can give a playability review.

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1488022025' post='3245080']
I am a Fender fan but this is one price hike too far in my opinion. I played the new Jazz in Dawsons in Huddersfield. It was good, but not £1500 good.

With so many excellent second hand Jazz deals around I don't ever see myself buying a new Fender again.
[/quote]I would never buy new, and I'm a lefty, not only is it very upsetting when the first ding appears you're also paying 20% VAT, thankfully not everybody shares my opinion