Why become a member? ×

Laney Gear

interpol52

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1480957062' post='3188413']
You could well be right about those amps, i didn't really know my arse from my elbow back in those days! :lol:
[/quote]
I had the same head with a 4x10 as a combo. its put me off all amps with graphic eqs! I had no idea what all of those dials did, I just tried to get it as loud as poss.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1480895962' post='3187974']
This isn't mine, but mine was identical. My first decent amp, a Laney ProBass 150w 4x10 combo that my wonderful amazing parents got me for my 21st birthday. It was a marvellous amp, and served me well for many years.

[/quote]

My old band used to play a venue in Soho called Gossips. I used to love playing there as they had one of these as backline. Awesome amp!

Did an unpaid dep gig at a charity fundraiser outdoor festival several years ago which was 'backline provided, just bring a bass'. It was some sort of Laney combo which must have been faulty, kept throwing out these weird non-harmonic extra tones on top of the note I was playing intermittently so it sounded like you were in tune, then out of tune, then back in etc, awful awful object that I would happily have set light to onstage if I'd been allowed. I noticed the band after us brought all their own backline, obviously done that festival before. I have used Laneys in rehearsal studios which werent totally pants but never inspired me to actually buy one either.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1481133812' post='3189965']
I always thought Laney was an affordable budget line amp. Did they ever have a reputation as a high end performance bass amp?

Blue
[/quote]

Don't know about bass amps but for a while, in the 70s their valve guitar amps were rivals to Marshall.

But I think the name was bought out and production moved out of the UK many years ago.

A DP150 1x15 combo was my first "proper" bass amp, bought it off a keyboard player I was at college with.

I think they've got a bit of a marketing push at the moment - a guy I loosely know is playing with an artist that getting some Radio 1 play at the moment and he's just picked up an endorsement and a rather nice looking rig from them, and I've seen a few others popping up too. Trying to raise their profile as a higher end brand maybe?

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1480943664' post='3188217']
Skindred's bassist uses Laney Nexus gear I believe, he absolutely loves it and has a monster tone :)
[/quote]

Yeah, he's moved from the Nexus Tube to the SL heads. I keep meaning to ask him if it was his choice to change...

My Laney usage was restricted to a crappy Linebacker 30 practice amp back in the late 80s.
I dreamed of having a DP150...

Edited by bartelby

I'm another one that had a Linebacker 30 combo.
It was my first actual bass amp (before that I played through an ancient guitar combo badged as a Tone which was probably about 10 watts and had a built in tremolo, a Goodmans double cassette deck home karaoke machine and then a 15 watt Soundcity solid state guitar combo that my step-dad found at the local dump).
I actually gigged it for a good while. I found that by turning the bass all the way down and the mid and treble all the way up I could run it on full volume without it distorting and actually get loud enough and cut through enough to be heard.
Not sure it was a tone you particularly wanted to hear with the eq like that to be fair but it got me through until I got something a bit better.

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1480884627' post='3187858']
Hello all

I went to see Turin Brakes (remember them?) at the Picturedrome in Holmfirth recently. Part of the fun of going to any gig for me is seeing what gear the band are using.
[/quote]

Depending on the promoter, the band and the venue, it's just possible that the backline was provided either by local hire or by local musicians. Not so long ago I can remember a call going out to musicians local to this area, asking for the use/loan of a Fender Twin Reverb for a gig, I think it might even have been for the same band mentioned above.

I'm not saying it's what happened here, but it's a possibility.

My experiences with Laney haven't been very positive bass-rig wise. Some of the local studios have them, and it's not very good. The 30W Valve guitar amp on the other hand is a decent piece of kit and punches above it's weight.

I've always had good experiences with Laney gear. I used to have a DP150, which I upgraded to a RB9. It's got all of the features that you'd ever need - 300W, high and low pass filters, graphic EQ, DI out, FX loop, and a usable on-board compressor and limiter. It's rugged, built like a tank, and has never let me down.

For pub-rock, it's got a great crunchy, slightly overdriven 'British' tone. It's was only after coming on here and being infected by GAS that I 'upgraded' to a more 'boutique' rig. I've since realised that with my covers band I'm replicating my old Laney sound using a rig that cost over 3-times the price!

I've still got one! It was my main gigging amp for years. I tell myself it's a back up but the truth is I can't bear to let it go.
150 loud watts & I could get almost any sound out of it with all the switching options & the graphic on it, fantastic amp.
I paired it with 2x10 & 1x15 Ampeg cabs - that rig would be way too heavy for me to cart around these days though.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1480942530' post='3188197']
I had a Laney head back in the day, a DP150? I think? One of these:

[attachment=233433:Capture.JPG]

IIRC, it was pretty good! Can't remember what I traded or P/X'd it for, was a looooong time ago!
[/quote]