Why become a member? ×

All fingers and thumbs

TrevorR

I was playing in church this morning. As I was playing a few things occurred to me. The big thing that struck me was... Given the number of times I've heard the cliche about "it all being in the fingers when it comes to tone" it's amazing how few players I've ever acrually seen varying their right hand technique to vary tone. It is an absolutely fundamental part of my playing style and I find it can create a huge range of different different tones.

Thinking about it this afternoon, across the seven or eight songs we played this morning I think I used pretty much all of the plucking positions and styles that I vary between. And that's bearing in mind that I don't slap or tap so those techniques aren't even included.

I wondered how many others use a range of different plucking styles and who doesn't - just sticking to the same basic technique and/or hand placement. This afternoon I counted up nine or ten distinct plucking positions or styles. For those who are wondering what I'm talking about, here they are... (and in fact, you could probably add another, "side of the thumb over the neck pickup").

Edited by TrevorR

As someone that plays a single pickup bass most of the time but mainly playing covers from various genres it's a must for me, slap, pick, fingers, near the neck fingers country style, near the bridge etc, my right hand technique is too ham fisted but at least I'm versatile, my left hand unfortunately is crap though!

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1480885116' post='3187865']
Interesting comment from Chris Squire on his pick style (and a great master Class). Starts at 2:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cprcYnffK_o
[/quote]

Oooh, haven't watched that vid in yonks. So great hearing him run through the Tempus Fugit riff on the white Electra bass!

Ha, another who uses is one a lot. I always use this way for playing Dub / reggae style in this position

I also use conventional fingerstyle, thump n' pluck / slap n' pop, plectrum, strumming, double thumbing, slapping by pulling strings upwards. Why stick with just one?

Edited by Barking Spiders

my main technique is to hit the strings really hard with my finger tips - sort of a less proficient John Entwistle typewriter style (I understand that he had one finger per string, I use two, sometimes three fingers, more like traditional finger style) - but depending on the music, the tempo, and mostly the dynamics of the song I can switch between softer finger style, slapping, using a pick, strumming chords, even tapping if I'm really showing off (rarely ends well) and sometimes two or three switches per song depending on the arrangement.

What I have found is that if I don't practice a technique for a while it can take me a while to get back up to speed, which sounds reasonable if it's something like slapping and popping, but recently, after years of largely playing without a pick I switched back for some very fast thrash metal and I was extremely shaky - no fluidity or uniformity in hitting the strings. Cue a week of sitting down and playing with a pick to save myself future embarrassment...

I started playing 30 years ago with a pick, but havent used one for years. Moving the right hand relative to the bridge gives me enough tones and years ago I found I could get a pick style gallup using a three finger triplet. So for me its Fingers and thumb (slap) only.

You're the only other person I've ever come across plucking lie this. It is great for big, fat, round sounds with lots of body but minimum attack to the note. Reggae-dub-tastic!

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1481015487' post='3188898']
Ha, another who uses is one a lot. I always use this way for playing Dub / reggae style in this position

I also use conventional fingerstyle, thump n' pluck / slap n' pop, plectrum, strumming, double thumbing, slapping by pulling strings upwards. Why stick with just one?
[/quote]

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1481234674' post='3190934']
I mostly play a Precision, I play over the pickup or about an inch to towards the bridge. That playing over the end of the fretboard position feels too loose to me.
[/quote]

Plucking over the neck can be a very particular thing and, yes, the feel of the string is really different than down by the pickups. But for the soft, stringy, woody sound it produces that's actually kinda the thing. It's a looser sound and a looser feel - and will (only) work (best) in applications where that sound and feel is what's needed. Horses, courses and all that... :)

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1481317387' post='3191551']

Plucking over the neck can be a very particular thing and, yes, the feel of the string is really different than down by the pickups. But for the soft, stringy, woody sound it produces that's actually kinda the thing. It's a looser sound and a looser feel - and will (only) work (best) in applications where that sound and feel is what's needed. Horses, courses and all that... :)
[/quote]

Yep, I can see where it would work. I like your bass by the way. Very nice.

I've never seen No6 style before using the side of the 1st finger. Need to give that one a try but most of the others i do but use my finger nails too and my thumb as a pick in some cases. Only occasionally use an actual pick. My thumb nail is usually kept long enough to get away with it.
Nice WAL bass there too

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1481463186' post='3192431']
I've never seen No6 style before using the side of the 1st finger. Need to give that one a try but most of the others i do but use my finger nails too and my thumb as a pick in some cases. Only occasionally use an actual pick. My thumb nail is usually kept long enough to get away with it.
Nice WAL bass there too
Dave
[/quote]
[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1481463641' post='3192438']
The side of the finger is the 'correct' way to pluck a double bass, I suspect if you wound the clock back sixty years it would be quite common, at least for the first few minutes of trying one of these new fangled jobbies, they'll never catch on, not enough heft.
[/quote]

Yeah, Pete. I can dial in an uprightish sound on the Wal (doesn't actually sound like a DB, of course, but there are sufficient elements to suggest it in a mix). The side finger accentuates the feel. It's also great for big fat dub sounds like Barking Spiders says.

PS Thanks Dave. It is a lovely bass!

Well, well, well, just look at what Scott's chatting about this week...

http://www.scottsbasslessons.com/bass-tips/how-to-make-your-electric-bass-sound-like-an-upright.html

Lots of use of the thumb and playing over the neck and with the side of the finger here...

http://youtu.be/iXYmSsTFw30