Why become a member? ×

Avoiding the idiosyncrasies of your favourite players

arthurhenry

Not a Bass story, but a friend of mine used to play Keyboard do a major Christian event/conference. One evening the Worship leader started talking to the 4000+ congregation, my friend was expected to play quietly underneath this. After about 20 mins the leader turned round and gave my friend a very stern look... Having just noticed that those deep and meaningful chords were actually slowed down and rearranged theme tunes from Soap operas!

We do "Go your own way" and the guitarist nicked part of the solo from "Sultans of swing" - the part that goes over the intro riff, not the part over the verse. So I now play the bassline to that when he goes into it. I have no idea whether anybody notices.

Mrs Zero and I occasionally play in a ceilidh band at barn dances (she does the calling). Whenever she introduces a move called the chain, I think it's fairly obvious what I start playing.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1481333775' post='3191656']
Mrs Zero and I occasionally play in a ceilidh band at barn dances (she does the calling). Whenever she introduces a move called the chain, I think it's fairly obvious what I start playing.
[/quote]

Oooo, is it this?

http://youtu.be/6M6W2NyD02o

Nobody notices the bass player unless s/he catches fire.

I have to say, I am regularly on the other end of this. My knowledge of bass parts is fairly encyclpeadic and I hear people copping licks all of the time. I remember seeing one kid (definitely a teenager) at the Brecon Jazz Festival ripping off Jaco for the whole gig. I wanted to go and tell him 'don't do that; you need to find yourself' but it is not in my nature to do that to a stranger. I wonder what happened to him.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1481324201' post='3191608']
No.

I sneak recognisable themes in to my lines to test if people are listening all the time! It's great fun!
[/quote]

Agree.
We're doing Black Horse and Cherry Tree with the Seven Nations mash-up and some lines just felt natural to insert in for fun and to see if I can get away with them. Band mates haven't seemed have noticed.

So "quoting" is the word rather than stealing. Well as long as I don't have to put both my hands I in the air and wiggle my first two fingers before I play them.

[quote name='YeastieB' timestamp='1481453875' post='3192330']

Agree.
We're doing Black Horse and Cherry Tree with the Seven Nations mash-up and some lines just felt natural to insert in for fun and to see if I can get away with them. Band mates haven't seemed have noticed.

So "quoting" is the word rather than stealing. Well as long as I don't have to put both my hands I in the air and wiggle my first two fingers before I play them.
[/quote]

'Quoting' is favourite pastime during some musicals, especially with one guitarist. On one run of 'Grease' we had a Led Zep contest. I managed Dazed and Confused, a bit of ramble on and whole lotta love but he wasn't as subtle and opened up the guitar solo to Grease Lightning with the Black Dog riff at full pelt- game set and match to him.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1481469152' post='3192467']

'Quoting' is favourite pastime during some musicals, especially with one guitarist. On one run of 'Grease' we had a Led Zep contest. I managed Dazed and Confused, a bit of ramble on and whole lotta love but he wasn't as subtle and opened up the guitar solo to Grease Lightning with the Black Dog riff at full pelt- game set and match to him.
[/quote]
Exactly! It's so much fun to work lines in somewhere, even if it's just for my own amusement! I often drop a bar of Snarky Puppy in whenever I do the chain! I use some aspects of Jaco's continuum in Isn't she lovely by Stevie Wonder too!

But I never approach bass playing or music from the stand point of how can I sound like 'said player' or 'what would said player do here' however I have been heavily influenced by a vast number of bass players and everyone of them feature a little bit in my playing to help make me, me!

It's sometimes just fun to drop something in or to hear a hint of something inappropriate and see what happens when you push it a bit further. I'm playing Hungarian folk music at the moment and a bass part carried a hint of Steve Harris in the galloping triplets, so I deliberately went at it in an Iron Maiden style. The drummer and the guitarist spotted it immediately, but it works so it's staying.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1481614919' post='3193646']

Exactly! It's so much fun to work lines in somewhere, even if it's just for my own amusement! I often drop a bar of Snarky Puppy in whenever I do the chain! I use some aspects of Jaco's continuum in Isn't she lovely by Stevie Wonder too!

But I never approach bass playing or music from the stand point of how can I sound like 'said player' or 'what would said player do here' however I have been heavily influenced by a vast number of bass players and everyone of them feature a little bit in my playing to help make me, me!
[/quote]

+1 to snarky puppy! The main line from Lingus can be dropped almost anywhere!