Why become a member? ×

Band fee

leemarseillebass

Hello everyone,

This question is purely to ask for your take on what fee should be expected, I'm not prying or wanting an argument to follow. Basically, I moved to the NE and play bass in a 3 piece, the band performs well, PA, backdrop in place - nothing lacks. I joined 6 months ago or thereabouts, the charge no matter where we play is £210 which to me, is not good at all. I'm mid causing a little turmoil as I'm either in charge, playing the right places or I'm leaving and getting into a band that values itself, I'd prefer the former.

Opinions please!
Thank you,
Lee

Edited by leemarseillebass

If you do repeat venues you could inform them of price increase if your confident that it's still viable to those booking you. For one off functions just as in any business you need to be sure your fee is attractive

What kind of gigs you doing ?

[quote name='leemarseillebass' timestamp='1480728874' post='3186822']
Hello everyone,

This question is purely to ask for your take on what fee should be expected, I'm not prying or wanting an argument to follow. Basically, I moved to the NE and play bass in a 3 piece, the band performs well, PA, backdrop in place - nothing lacks. I joined 6 months ago or thereabouts, the charge no matter where we play is £210 which to me, is not good at all. I'm mid causing a little turmoil as I'm either in charge, playing the right places or I'm leaving and getting into a band that values itself, I'd prefer the former.

Opinions please!
Thank you,
Lee
[/quote]

Agreed

Blue

As far as what someone is willing to pay, if it's 210 then the chances are I don't feel safe taking decent expensive gear in, so my thoughts have gone straight to we are playing the wrong place to start with. Management/agents are an answer but I'd sooner be self contained and use my own nouse. Watch this space I guess :/

Two ten for a three piece, that's 70 a head, not bad. A lot of pubs etc pay a rate based on the number of people in the band, in my experience. My gig with the four piece tonight will only put 60 quid in my pocket, but it's still 60 quid more than not bothering.

£70 a man is pretty decent down here and I can't help feeling its probably Ok in the North East as well.
We're talking the Dog and Duck pub scene right?
Believe me, if thats the going rate and you won't play for that kind of money then the landlords won't give a monkeys and get a 100 bands in who will.

[quote name='leemarseillebass' timestamp='1480764951' post='3186956']
As far as what someone is willing to pay, if it's 210 then the chances are I don't feel safe taking decent expensive gear in...
[/quote]

Surely that's an indication of the venue and the area, not the fee?

On topic - our take is the normal £200-250 for a four piece . What we get paid has no impact on what gear we take including a pair of Gibson Les Paul Custom Shops '57 reissues for one of our guitarists. If that's the rate for the product in the area then that's the rate and I can't see that changing much for a generic covers band.

Edited by DaytonaRik

Hi all, i'm in the North East and £200-£240 is the going rate for us too. Being a three-piece blues covers band that works out well so no complaints unless the gig is more than a 45 min drive. At that point the fuel costs start to make it less attractive.

Someone posted that the fee level (and thus the venue 'quality ') would affect what gear they used. Well, i take what i own and don't have the luxury of being selective. Just have to keep an eye on everyone's gear.

Steve

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1480769292' post='3186995']
Surely that's an indication of the venue and the area, not the fee?

On topic - our take is the normal £200-250 for a four piece . What we get paid has no impact on what gear we take including a pair of Gibson Les Paul Custom Shops '57 reissues for one of our guitarists. If that's the rate for the product in the area then that's the rate and I can't see that changing much for a generic covers band.
[/quote]

That's my thought as well.
The bar won't care whether my gear is cheap or expensive, only that it works. I bring what I bring because I like using it, and if I don't feel safe n a ny given venue... I just don't play there. I don't play warzones :lol:

As for the fee... £210 is not much, but if it's reasonably local (meaning easy/short transport time) and that means £70 each, that's not too bad. I'd like to get a regular local £70 a head for our 8-piece originals band ;)
Bars that get bands playing covers often have a flattish fee. They rarely care whether it's band A or band B playing, so if you don't play, another band will. If you've got a better gig, take it, but meanwhile it doesn't sound like such a bad deal. To be paid more you'll have to show the bar it's worth their cash, usually by being a band people go to see especifically resulting in a higher drinks sales. Only a small proportion of covers bands achieve that. Originals bands may have the unique selling point of doing what they do and nobody else does it... but usually not enough people care enough for venues to pay a huge amount more, and in fact it can get harder to get gigs at first. It's tough out there!

Join a wedding band. Bar bands get paid crap money.

Edit: of course it depends on where you live. I played a gig in Camden recently (in a bar/restaurant) and our 4 piece were paid £500. Unfortunately I usually gig in Edinburgh, where my band is lucky if we get paid half of that.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='leemarseillebass' timestamp='1480764951' post='3186956']
As far as what someone is willing to pay, if it's 210 then the chances are I don't feel safe taking decent expensive gear in ...
[/quote]

Don't understand this at all.

I've never had any gear (of any value) damaged by the venue or by a punter, just whatever damage I've managed to inflict all by myself. :rolleyes:

If the value of your gear really is an issue, then the obvious solution is to take cheaper gear.

I play a Mike Lull T5, but I also own a Tokai Thunderbird which cost me roughly 1/20th of what I paid for the Lull. I doubt if there's a single punter who would spot the difference. Hell, I sometimes wonder if even my own bandmates notice. :lol: