Why become a member? ×

Noise Cancelling headphones

Owen

While waiting for my wife and daughter to exhaust the joys of Trafford Park shopping centre I wondered into the John Lewis electronics section. I have never considered noise cancelling cans before but as my tinnitus gets worse I do not like being in noisy situations. I tried to some on and was thrilled with the lack of noise! I do not need them for critical at home listening because I have a pair of Beyer DT770 which are fine and dandy, but the idea of noise cancelling was DEEPLY attractive for out and about.

I tried the Bose 35 something or other, a pair of Beyers and the top of the range Sonys. The Sonys seemed to suit me best (and I guess that is the answer which counts) for silence and music reproduction, but I was wondering if anyone else has any experience?

I've had a few over the years (except Bose due to cost) from Sony to lesser known. The best one I have found is the superb [url="http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/backbeat-pro"]Plantronics BackBeat Pro[/url] [cost me about 150 GBP] The build quality, features and noise cancelling are very good. Excellent bluetooth, rechargable battery life (over micro-USB). Neat feature is that when you lift one earphone to talk to someone, the headphones send a signal over bluetooth to pause the audio (YouTube or music app), then restarts automatically when you replace on your ear. Very neat.

Edited by kiat

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1480629238' post='3186032']
While waiting for my wife and daughter to exhaust the joys of Trafford Park shopping centre I wondered into the John Lewis electronics section. I have never considered noise cancelling cans before but as my tinnitus gets worse I do not like being in noisy situations. I tried to some on and was thrilled with the lack of noise! I do not need them for critical at home listening because I have a pair of Beyer DT770 which are fine and dandy, but the idea of noise cancelling was DEEPLY attractive for out and about.

I tried the Bose 35 something or other, a pair of Beyers and the top of the range Sonys. The Sonys seemed to suit me best (and I guess that is the answer which counts) for silence and music reproduction, but I was wondering if anyone else has any experience?
[/quote]

Might be worth trying the new Flare Audio Isolate ear plugs. They're pretty cheap. Think their site is flareaudio.com

Edited by LZD56

I have no idea as to your budget but I have just bought the Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless headphones. Very happy indeed. The appear to be getting great reviews for their sound quality. I also have the latest Bose Quiet Comfort and whilst they kill more sound, their music reproduction is not as good as the Momentums.

I have a pair of Bose QC25 ear buds. They're pretty good but in terms of sound quality, they don't compare to a non-cancelling set of Sony buds. I only got the Bose set because I moved to Samsung phone, still wanted noise cancelling (for Saturday mornings at my son's day care) and I couldn't use another set of Sony buds that use inbuilt noise cancelling built into my Sony Xperia Z2.

Side note: Sony Xperia phones are great for audio. Stereo speakers and inbuilt noise cancelling.

Ive got the Bose QC35's. When i first put them on the noise, or lack of it was a real surprise. I just wasnt expecting that much of a difference.

Sound wise i believe they arent as good as the Sen M2's, alothugh they are the nicest sounding headphones ive got, but for me the NC was the reason i got them. I walk through central London to and from work each day and its been a revelation not hearing all the traffic. Blue tooth was also a huge consideration. Unfortunately this is where they dont even match a cheap £20 pair of BT headphones for me. Very disappointed in that aspect, although they are still usable and i do use them everyday. Its great being able to sit in the living room watching videos on YT while the rest of the family watch TV.

I feel the Bose headphones are very overpriced, but if NC is the reason for getting headphones then Bose are No.1 in the field.