Why become a member? ×

UK towns (not cities) with a lively gig culture / lots of bands?

kiat

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1480675749' post='3186262']

Yes, we play there at least once a year.
[/quote]

Love that pub... only ever get to it for one weekend a year though. Looking at the posters they have some cracking acts on year round.

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1480675914' post='3186263']
Love that pub... only ever get to it for one weekend a year though. Looking at the posters they have some cracking acts on year round.
[/quote]

We've had some good times in there all right! I need to talk to them about the other two bands I've recently joined, I reckon they go down a treat there.

Stockport gets overshadowed by Manchester, but has plenty of good pub venues, and a fine community of local musicians who play together in shifting combinations, as well as stable small bands. (Rowland Jones, a fine blues man, calls his band "The Moveable Feast" because he works with so many different musicians that even he isn't always sure until the last minute who is going to be with him for any given gig - and they are always excellent.) Victor Brox and Kyla Brox both do regular free gigs, which makes it close to blues heaven. And they are all welcoming, you can quickly become part of the mix if you're reasonably good and have a friendly flexible attitude.

Manchester is 10 minutes away by train for when you want the bright lights and the bigger venues. And some of the best Manchester musicians come out and join the Stockport mix as well.

I know Weston Super Mate got the heave-ho earlier but does Bristol count as a big city.....?
You could say for example pick an area near like Bath, chipping sodbury, or Chippenham for example and have the benefit.
Bristol does get gigs from touring bands, the smaller scene is also good.
Cardiff will have a scene so you could look at somewhere close like Newport, but I have no idea what that is like

A fair few of us on here are active in the Notts/Derby area. In the corridor either side of the M1 from say, junction 24 to 30 there's loads of smallish ex-mining towns and the larger cities of Derby and Nottingham. Relatively cheap housing and good transport links to the rest of the world. There's more opportunities to play than I'll ever have the time for.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1480675749' post='3186262']

Yes, we play there at least once a year.
[/quote]

We got offered the Fairport Fringe there this year but had to turn it down due to holidays etc. Hopefully we'll be there next year. Great pub though.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1480944473' post='3188231']
We got offered the Fairport Fringe there this year but had to turn it down due to holidays etc. Hopefully we'll be there next year. Great pub though.
[/quote]

Nice :) Would be great to play that some time.