Why become a member? ×

'Universal' Strings?

gypsyjazzer

[quote name='marvin spangles' timestamp='1480590920' post='3185642']
Spiro Weich are excellent on many basses for arco and pizz . Don't know about slap. Anyone?
[/quote]

The A and E are slappable, but I found the g too thin to slap without injuring myself. I'm not a massive slapper though, so perhaps a more manly individual than myself could cope.

I'd suggest Velvet Garbos.

This is the big question isn't it? Are there a set of strings that do everything well?I'd hazard a guess that the answer is 'no', there's always going to be an area where a string falls down or doesn't quite fit the player's requirements. I know some players rave about Gerold Genssler's strings, but they are prohibitively expensive. I think of plain gut strings as excellent for pizz, slap and a certain kind of 'old school' arco but they do cost a lot and I've never ventured into using wound lower strings because of the price.
I've used Thomastik Spirocore mittel which I do think are excellent strings for both pizz and arco, but find them too tense for my liking, preferring a lower action than I go for, which also precludes them being suited to slapping I expect.
I've used Evah Pirazzi, both medium and weich but find them too dark and too short lived to be recommended.
At the moment I use Velvet Garbo but haven't used the bow for a very long time because of their deficiencies in that area. I can live with that, but I do pine for a more versatile string... No doubt when I have something versatile on I'll be pining for the very specific pizz punch that Garbos have.

Along with the comments above, the bass makes a difference to the strings too. I've had Spiro weichs on one bass that just didn't work, but on another bass they are fantastic. Getting something for all three playing styles will be tricky, but maybe look at putting together your own set from different singles. You may find most of what you need in the Innovation range, maybe just not all in one set.