Why become a member? ×

Moving whilst grooving.

mrtcat

Got a band video shoot on Sunday which has got me looking at my stage moves whilst playing. I'm reasonably good at not standing like a statue and I'm no shoe gazer. I find getting the shoulders moving is the way to go but does anyone have any good tips for moving whilst playing and is anyone particularly adept at this. If you have video evidence it may help inspire me further.

i'm just about to start gigging and am very concious of this, hopefulyy some good tips will stand me in good stead.

saw a couple of bands last year where the first band stood pretty still and the second band worked the stage and looked like they were having a great time.
the difference in how they come across to the audience really got me thinking.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1480538172' post='3185270']
Got a band video shoot on Sunday which has got me looking at my stage moves whilst playing. I'm reasonably good at not standing like a statue and I'm no shoe gazer. I find getting the shoulders moving is the way to go but does anyone have any good tips for moving whilst playing and is anyone particularly adept at this. If you have video evidence it may help inspire me further.
[/quote]

I look like a "tool" in my bands videos.

While playing I thought my moves looked cool. When I saw the video, I looked like an old guy humping an invisible bear.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1480540809' post='3185308']
I look like a "tool" in my bands videos.

While playing I thought my moves looked cool. When I saw the video, I looked like an old guy humping an invisible bear.

Blue
[/quote]

Is there problem with this :gas:

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1480540809' post='3185308']

Blue
[/quote]

The more you think about this, the funnier it gets.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1480541761' post='3185322']
How old are you ?

That really needs to be taken into account, especially if you have relatives coming along. They may never talk to you again 😊.
[/quote]

Very good point.

What a 20 something can pull off will be difficult if not impossible for a 63 year old.

You guys know I'm a huge Jagger fan, now I'm seeing that he's getting to the end if his rope in term of all his creative free form interpretive dance. He's still pretty much a Dandy.

And what type of physical condition your in also matters.If a guy is sporting a huge arse there's going to be some limitations.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1480542684' post='3185349']
I watched this a few weeks ago. It's pretty good and common sense for stage craft. I've implemented quite a bit of it.

No dancing required, just some basic ideas.

[media]http://youtu.be/eizWNzpcFvU[/media]
[/quote]

good video, thanks for posting

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1480541761' post='3185322']
How old are you ?

That really needs to be taken into account, especially if you have relatives coming along. They may never talk to you again 😊.
[/quote]

Good point. I'm 40 but pretty slim and fit. It does put me in "dad dancing" territory I guess but Im a reasonably young looking 40. We're a function band and will be playing a medley of pop/disco/motown so defo no mick jagger strutting.

I tend to just walk about but often hide behind the keyboard player....I find that moving too much often puts me off my rhythm, not that I've got much of that to start with.

I see many videos of me on stage on youtube and I'm as boring as hell..

Edit: however I've now got whacky hair after a strange visit to the hairdresser and some crazy shades so perhaps I'll come out of my shell a bit?

Edited by Twigman