Why become a member? ×

Line 6 G10

Staggering on

Thinking about a wireless set up for my Yamaha SLB200 EUB and my Yamaha RBX 750A bass guitar and the Line 6 G10 seems simple and reasonably priced.Their site says it works with "most" passive and active pickups although some instruments with certain wiring may need an adaptor.It can also be switched between instruments quickly and silently and is compact and needs no cables to a transmitter,just plug in the jack/transmitter which is rechargeable.
I will definitely try it on my instruments before I actually buy it but would like any feedback from anyone who has used one.Both my Yamahas have active pickups.

Edited by Staggering on

Used it in the following basses:
Fender cabronita-Passive and recessed jack (angled cord ends would not fit in)
G&L ASAT both semi hollow body in active and passive mode
G&L L1500 in active and passove mode

Worked perfectly in them all, I did not test the full range but never cut out and I have been in a different room in the house so not line of sight and it still worked.
No pops when you change.

Only problems (which are not huge) base unit is a 5v USB charger so you need to plug it into mains, if it's in your board you can use a power pack like you charge your mobile phone with, Anker ones are brilliant in various sizes, or you need a power brick by Yankee, the PS M-1
http://yankee.com.pl/ps-m1-power-supply/?lang=en

I have not used the DI straight out the receiver so cannot comment.

Overall though brilliant piece of kit for the price.

Thoroughly recommended

Well, the harmonica player in my band has bought one this week and tested it thoroughly at home. He reports no latency that he can detect and range in excess of the claimed 30'. Although as he's never more than 10 feet from his amp why that matters is a bit beyond me......
He's planning on giving it a go at this Saturdays gig - The Red Lion in Arundel if anyone's about - so I'll let you know how it goes.

Isn't the 'most' thing just a disclaimer? The transmitter side of the product utilises a (standard) 1/4" input and in 'most' cases your instrument will have a (standard) 1/4" output jack socket, so a short patch cable will suffice.

All they're alluding to is that some instruments might have a different output types, requiring a different cable or adapter.

Harmonica player brought his last night with the comment "it's for guitars, really but it works with mics too". Took about 30 seconds for him to set it up, it worked perfectly all night with no sign of signal compression or change in the normal sound/tone from his Bassman. He really liked not having a trailing cable (which he has been known to tread on occasionally with predictable results) and had to show off by playing from the audience whilst watching the rest of us. My overall impression was very good. If I routinely played in places where I would otherwise use a very long lead I'd give it a go, but as most places I'm squeezed in right in front of my cab I don't really need it. However for some of the festival gigs we've done it would have been jolly handy.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my G10 yesterday and tried it out at home and I love it.
Small,easy to set up,great sound and silent when switching instruments-all the things I was looking for.I will try it at our gig next week and go straight into the PA .As a bonus I can spin my EUB...now that could be dangerous!

I've got a Sansamp VT bass for use like that in an emergency, , but I can see how being wireless and through the PA could be really good. Do you run subs etc. then? And how will you eq your eub? Or get the tone you like? I'm not at all suggesting you can't I'm just curious as to how!

I'll try to explain our system Phil.We are 4 piece(keyboard/vocal,sax/clarinet,drums,bass)that plays jazz standards in clubs,bars,halls and variety of indoor and outdoor venues with an audience ranging from a few dozen to over 300.We play receptions,private parties,dinners and even dances and sometimes are background "wallpaper music" and sometimes are a show or dance band.
After struggling with a variety of PA's we decided to try the Bose L1 Model II(24 speakers) with the Bose ToneMatch(mixer) and a Bose bass module.It is not a cheap option but it works for us.We also use a small mixer so we can add other things to the Bose mixer.The ToneMatch has EQ for each input and my Yamaha SLB200 EUB has very sensitive bass and treble controls and that combination works well for me.
When you set up the Bose system they suggest that it works best if you can place it about 7 feet behind the band and in that location it acts as a monitor as well as main speaker.That may sound kind of odd but it works well for us,amazing sound and the 24 speakers disperse the sound in a way that isn't too loud for us and is loud for the audience.We did a lot of research before we bought the system and I was very skeptical about the claims from Bose that it would be capable of handling an audience of up to 500 and be used as a monitor as well but it works for us.It is surprisingly powerful and loud.
It doesn't take much space,is fast to set up and provides all the inputs and controls our band needs and has no other speakers to set up and no cables all over the stage.Some rock and country bands use one system for each player(there are videos) but we get by with just the one.
It is a good system for a lot of bands that play in a lot of different sized venues and with the ToneMatch mixer is very versatile.I have not had the chance to try my new wireless system yet but will try it at a gig next week and based on how well it works with my little Laney combo(no comments please) I'm sure it will be fine.
I am sure it would not be suitable for a lot of types of music and it doesn't look like "a real PA" but it is worth checking out for acoustic or semi-acoustic bands and a lot of jazz bands.

That explains it. I have sen a couple of bands use these, and I must say they seem to get a very good sound from it. Haven't seen a band with everyone through it: the last one I saw had vocals only and I don't think they had the bass module: the bass player was using Phil Jones stuff - a 4x8 combo and 4x8 extension cab, which sounded great and looked good too. Then just last week I saw a guy do an acoustic set on a Sunday afternoon with something very similar. They are becoming quite popular despite the price. If your gigs pay well, I think you should be prepared to invest some money.
We're a bit dinosaur as far as PA goes: we've got a Yamaha EMX512sc and a pair of EV 12" speakers. Very light class D amp/mixer. We've used it for two years and never had a problem with it but we are a blues (ish!) band and we're not volume monsters. Except the harmonica player who uses a Fender Bassman, as I said earlier. Sorry Rob! Only kidding!
I'm using a LM3 and a Barefaced Compact - light, small and plenty loud enough for me. Guitar player has a nice little Two-Rock amp.
The only thing I think we would struggle with is getting 7' of space behind the band at most of the places we play! We're normally squeezed in a corner of a small pub. Sounds like a great system though and very professional.
I'm sure your G10 will be the last piece of the puzzle.

We don't often get the ideal 7' of space and were worried about it but even when it is set up only slightly behind us it is still great.Our last gig was in a very small place where we set up on the floor because there is no stage at all and we were lined up against a wall with the system practically in line with us and it worked.One of the nice things is that you don't need space for other speakers and monitors so the band can set up in very tight areas,maybe not ideal but it works and the sound is great,very clean and crisp and because the 24 speakers are set at different angles the sound fills the whole space in the room.I was a skeptic as I said earlier, but for a lot of groups this is a good way to go and I expect we will see a lot more of them as time goes on. Some musicians can't imagine using one of these odd looking things and it certainly lacks the visual impact of a stage full of gear but the sound is fantastic.We have been asked "where is your PA" more than once.It sort of reminds me of some headless basses and EUB's that don't look "right" but sound great.

• 2 weeks later...

After two days of use the G10 transmitter began to work perfectly or not at all and the LED on it would flash green indicating an electronic(vs mechanical) problem but only with the EUB,it was OK with BG.I checked the Line 6 site and some forums and found that a few other people have had this problem-works great and then dies.Since I was planning to use it at gigs I need something that always works and that I don't need to worry about I returned it for a refund instead of a replacement.As I said in earlier posts,the convenience and sound were great but I don't feel I can trust it so it's back to the cable for my gig today and perhaps another foray into the wireless world in the future.From what I have read most people have no problems with the product but after my experience I don't have confidence in it. Too bad,it was great when it was working.

[quote name='Staggering on' timestamp='1482504754' post='3201137']
After two days of use the G10 transmitter began to work perfectly or not at all and the LED on it would flash green indicating an electronic(vs mechanical) problem but only with the EUB,it was OK with BG.I checked the Line 6 site and some forums and found that a few other people have had this problem-works great and then dies.Since I was planning to use it at gigs I need something that always works and that I don't need to worry about I returned it for a refund instead of a replacement.As I said in earlier posts,the convenience and sound were great but I don't feel I can trust it so it's back to the cable for my gig today and perhaps another foray into the wireless world in the future.From what I have read most people have no problems with the product but after my experience I don't have confidence in it. Too bad,it was great when it was working.
[/quote]

That's a shame to hear. Mine has done a hundred or so gigs without any problems. Hopefully you can find a solution that you're happy with as once the freedom of wireless is felt it's hard to go back.