Why become a member? ×

Looking to buy a Squire Standard Strat or Telecaster. How Much.?

bubinga5

New or secondhand? New, you'll find almost all guitar shops will be selling at pretty much the same price. Secondhand, you'd think there's bargains out there but almost all sellers will overvalue the guitar, so finding a good saving over new will be difficult. There's plenty of choice out there though, there's tons of Squier Affinity guitars bought by people who then hardly play them, then give up. So its possible to find "nearly new" guitars with almost no wear or imperfections, although be prepared to restring it since I bet they've not changed the strings since purchased.

If your budget is tending towards the price new of higher end Squiers (ie, £300-400) then seriously consider a Mexican Standard Strat secondhand, for about the same price. I predict it would keep its value much better and be easier to sell later if needs be. Also it is a bit better in quality.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1480511026' post='3184951']
Well my budget is around £150 and looking for second hand. Don't know anything about the quality of the squires apart from a standard tele that a friend has and it's really nice sounding and playing.
[/quote]

For that kind of money I'd also be looking at the Yamaha Pacifica range.

Yamaha Pacifica.

The higher end Squier Strats are great but they are not cheap.

The one thing I would say is that a cheaper guitar CAN (not always) be a bit of a fight to play, just like some basses. Setups can help but at the end of the day, it might be worth you saving an investing in something like a Classic Series Strat, or a Baja Telecaster.

I'd also seriously consider the Vintage (as in the brand) strats as well, the V6 is a bit of a legend.
http://www.jhs.co.uk/products/guitars-folk-instruments/electric-guitars/vintage/vintage-v6-icon-electric-guitar-distressed-laguna-blue
Theres a used one here for £170 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-V6-ICON-Electric-Guitar-/232157240154?hash=item360da65b5a:g:xVQAAOSwHMJYO2AY

I've got a Yamaha Pacifica 112V up on the classifieds for £140 incl. postage to UK. Like others have said above, in my opinion, the best guitar you can buy for £150 second hand.

Drop me a PM if interested and I'll send over some more info and pics!

• 2 weeks later...

Are you on Facebook? There's usually a group buying, selling & trading somewhere near you.
Keep a look out for the Squier Classic Vibe range. They tend to go for a bit more than that 2nd hand in good condition - but you may just get lucky, there may be people selling gear to raise cash atm.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1481906625' post='3196211']
Are you on Facebook? There's usually a group buying, selling & trading somewhere near you.
Keep a look out for the Squier Classic Vibe range. They tend to go for a bit more than that 2nd hand in good condition - but you may just get lucky, there may be people selling gear to raise cash atm.
[/quote]
Very much this. The CVs are a great all round guitar: build quality; hardware; finish; playability; all good.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1482012706' post='3197027']

Very much this. The CVs are a great all round guitar: build quality; hardware; finish; playability; all good.
[/quote]

Not played the CV Strat but the Tele's are great. I got one off Ebay for £200. Definitely worth saving a few more quid.

[url="https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/0303010566/solid-body-electric-guitars/fender-squier-classic-vibe-stratocaster-60s-in-burgundy-mist"] Fender Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster '60s in Burgundy Mist Was £440! Save now while stocks last! [/url]
Brand new Strat for 249£,colour is maybe not at your taste,but,at this price :D

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1480519415' post='3185054']
This looks good and Affinity seem to get great reviews. [url="https://m.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_affinity_tele_mn_bb_02.htm?o=29&search=1480518928"]https://m.thomann.de...arch=1480518928[/url]
[/quote]

I've played one or two and they were not great.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1482019996' post='3197073']

I've played one or two and they were not great.
[/quote]

I had one and although it played well enough after a setup, the tuners were always naff and it sounded a bit cheap. Tuners and pup replacement maybe but for the extra money, a CV would be more economical. Plus the CV build quality is far superior.

Edited by itsmedunc

[quote name='bcbass' timestamp='1482018309' post='3197067']
[url="https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/0303010566/solid-body-electric-guitars/fender-squier-classic-vibe-stratocaster-60s-in-burgundy-mist"] Fender Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster '60s in Burgundy Mist Was £440! Save now while stocks last! [/url]
Brand new Strat for 249£,colour is maybe not at your taste,but,at this price :D
[/quote]

That's a great price for a brand new Classic Vibe. A guitarist pal of mine had a CV strat, then sold it to buy a Mex one because it had "Fender" on the headstock. The Mex Strat is really very good - but he wishes he hadn't sold the Classic Vibe, as he afterward thought it was the better guitar.....

Re the colour - maybe it's just me, being a bit odd - but I quite like it. It's a bit different to the norm too. It's also one of those colours that seems to suit having a matching headstock colour IMO. Again, maybe that's just me ;)

Edited by Marc S

• 4 weeks later...

If I were you, I'd pop into a shop (or a mate that as both) and play a Tele and a Strat as they are very different guitars that players tend to go for either one, or the other. Strat players aren't usually Tele players and vice versa (Obviously there are exceptions to the rule)

Be a shame to find a nice whatever, only to find you maybe suited, or preferred, the other guitar.

If you're still looking, here's a useful guide to the different strat models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3koIElaoTAc

As general guide, the cheapest models don't tend to have a skunk stripe.
I've owned 2 'standard' Teles. Nice budget guitars and great if you want to customise.
Can't really go wrong as you can always sell on a second hand one for pretty much the buying price.

Have also owned a Vintage V6 felt a bit too much like a toy guitar for me.
If you decided to try a Les Paul type then the Vintage V100's are very solid guitars.

Oh and if you decided to stray into humbucker territory the vintage modified HH Jaguar's are awesome!

Edited by Roo Hobbers

I've got a Modern Player Tele - it's lovely. Skunk stripe, honeyburst or charcoalburst it came in. 3 pickups (Neck tele, Strat-mid and a Humbucker at the bridge with a coil tap. Loads of options, great noise. Mine's actually heavier than my bass at 9lbs+, but it's worth it.
I paid £380 for mine and I believe they're discontinued now, so might be bargains about.