Why become a member? ×

REM Re-discovered

Hobbayne

[quote name='Bass Culture' timestamp='1480530626' post='3185169']
Was hooked as soon as I saw them doing 'Southern Central Rain' on some BBC music show in the early 80's. 'Life's Rich Pageant' was my personal highlight from the early years, and I've always thought 'New Adventures in Hi-Fi' represented one last hurrah in an otherwise increasingly irrelevant roster of latter-day albums. First time I saw them was on the Work 'tour' (one gig in the UK, I recall!) at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1987. All I remember is Pete Buck playing the opening chords of 'Finest Worksong' and turning to my mate, who had the same stupid grin on his face as I did, as our ears were assailed by this complete wall of sound. Bloody brilliant! :)
[/quote]

Jeez, just found out 'New Adventures in HI-Fi was 1996' - not that bloody latter-day then!

Was hooked as soon as I saw them doing 'Southern Central Rain' on some BBC music show in the early 80's. 'Life's Rich Pageant' was my personal highlight from the early years, and I've always thought 'New Adventures in Hi-Fi' represented one last hurrah in an otherwise increasingly irrelevant roster of latterday albums. First time I saw them was on the Work 'tour' (one gig in the UK, I recall!) at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1987. All I remember is Pete Buck playing the opening chords of 'Finest Worksong' and turning to my mate, who had the same stupid grin on his face as I did, as our ears were assailed by this complete wall of sound. Bloody brilliant! :)
[/quote]

I was at that Hammersmith gig, too. Life changing. "Radio Free Europe" played at Ramones speed with all the house lights on...Robyn Hitchcock on 12String for "Fall On Me". What a night. And 10 000 Maniacs were the support. Oh yeah.

I don't remember a BBC version of "S Central Rain", but there was a killer version of it on The Tube...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AinyLYhEpOM[/media]

Edited by rushbo

Was hooked as soon as I saw them doing 'Southern Central Rain' on some BBC music show in the early 80's. 'Life's Rich Pageant' was my personal highlight from the early years, and I've always thought 'New Adventures in Hi-Fi' represented one last hurrah in an otherwise increasingly irrelevant roster of latterday albums. First time I saw them was on the Work 'tour' (one gig in the UK, I recall!) at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1987. All I remember is Pete Buck playing the opening chords of 'Finest Worksong' and turning to my mate, who had the same stupid grin on his face as I did, as our ears were assailed by this complete wall of sound. Bloody brilliant! :)
[/quote]

I was at that gig, amazing. Remember them playing Wipeout and 10,000 Maniacs supporting.

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1480535568' post='3185231']
I was at that Hammersmith gig, too. Life changing. "Radio Free Europe" played at Ramones speed with all the house lights on...Robyn Hitchcock on 12String for "Fall On Me". What a night. And 10 000 Maniacs were the support. Oh yeah.

I don't remember a BBC version of "S Central Rain", but there was a killer version of it on The Tube...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AinyLYhEpOM[/media]
[/quote]

Possibly still my favourite gig ever. Completely overwhelming for the younger me. I seem to recall on the version of So. Central Rain I'm thinking of that they were standing behind some sort screens for part of the video at least. Of course I could just be completely misremembering too!

One of my favourite bands, and 'Fall on me' is one of my top three favourite songs. Saw them on the 'Up' tour, was booked to see them on the tour they cancelled because of Bill Berry's brain haemorrhage. I agree their best years were behind them after he left, but I don't agree they should have split then, they still had some fantastic songs in them, like 'Leaving New York' and 'Daysleeper', but the later albums really only had one or two decent songs on them. Mike Mills is a great bassist and a brilliant musician, and they wouldn't have been the same band without him. They are adamant that they won't reform, but you never know.

[quote name='Bass Culture' timestamp='1480538252' post='3185273']
Stinson, Rushbo - we should have a reunion! :)
[/quote]

I'm in...if we wait until 12th September next year, it'll be the 30th anniversary of the gig. I'll just let that sink in for a moment.

Although R.E.M. Was not associated at all with the genre I was listening t growing up I loved them and still do (although I wouldn't have shouted this from the tree tops at the time).

I was recently playing in a start up tribute R.E.M. act but unfortunately this didn't go anywhere ;-(

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1480629627' post='3186036']
I passed up the opportunity to see them on the Monster tour (in Cardiff I think it was). I've not made many bad decisions in my life, but that's definitely one of them. :(
[/quote]

ditto here, lotsa GOOD decisions, Wings in 75, Pink Floyd in 82, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Eric Burden and the Animals, Canned Heat, Carlos Santana

One of my BAD ones was missing the Green tour :(

And choosing the Beach Boys over Dylan in 1978......... oh they were WOEFULL